• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Re: Official - Mousa Dembele

Dembele has all the attributes of a great all round midfield player, except he is lacking in one thing.

He has absolutely no idea when he should release the ball.

Unfortunately this one thing removes him from the would be excellent player bracket to the decent player bracket.

....i think he is one of the most frustrating players ever to play for Spurs........i don't think his strenghths are devensive,yes he's able to take a ball off players but then his distribution is poor and very slow,i've said this before he be better up front away from our 18 yard box,and someone tell him once he beats a man have a pop at goal and/or start using his right foot you know the one opposite his left....its not there for standing on especially for a premiership footballer.

Mousa has something we dont have in abundance though, he has flair and when he gets the ball you know he can make something happen. Even against Everton where I thought he had a poor game overall, there were a couple of mistimed passes that were a fraction off opening Everton up.

As others have said though, I wish he had more confidence in himself to calm down after beating 2 or 3 players and make the right decision.

He does struggle with knowing when to release the ball but I sometimes feel that particular flaw is enhanced by our lack of movement or simply moving in a straight line. Plenty of times he faces a player up in midfield, does his feint and shuffle and manages to get in behind with a full view of whats in front of the opposing back line and straight away I can see he wants to pass.

Typically, he wants to then play the ball between the full back and the centre half for our full back to run onto but the run either is totally not made or is left so late that once he has beaten his opponent that ball isn't quite on because the space has closed down. So he carries on, unsure of whether to shoot or beat a man or simply lay it off and that happens numerous times in a game.

You could also add that our team line up changes so much it is probably harder for him to play "blind" passes, though obviously that goes for all our players.

It's no coincidence that whenever he doesn't play we look sh*t. Then again even with him in the side we look pretty turgid most times this season :lol:

It's no coincidence that whenever he doesn't play we look sh*t. Then again even with him in the side we look pretty turgid most times this season :lol:

Just said that in the player ratings thread. He is the only player that gives us an air of unpredictably and that is important, especially when it is so central on the field of play. Once he beats that first man it all opens up but our players are quite static in terms of their movement.

he always plays it seems so hard to tell. I thought Villa away was one of our best performances of the season and he didn't play then

I was laughing at this during the match. He could picked him up and thrown him into the crowd if he wanted but I got the impression he was trying (unsuccessfully) to bump him off the ball but not foul him.

To be fair he wasn't being outmuscled, Sterling was shielding the ball and Dembele was trying not to foul him. LFC poster so that explains the slant on hte title

I still maintain with the right coaching Dembele could be an excellent all-round player, he just needs to work on aspects of his game and be playing in a tactic that allows him to express himself more and supports his movement, i.e don't stand and watch him dribble up the field with nowhere to go, support the damn man and offer good running off the ball.

He has had a poor season but he is a very good player. I agree that he does hold onto the ball at times too long and this limits his ability to elevate himself to the level of a superb player.
When he is missing, we don't look as good or solid. He can tackle, he can hold the ball and he can beat players from a standing start. We have no one else within the squad capable of that.

Dembele is one of the few we are going to be pinning our hopes on next season.

assuming Lloris is off the only players that i see as being good enough/having performed well enough in a previous life to have in our plans for next season's first teams are Dembele, Eriksen, Lamela, Adebayor, Walker and possibly Soldado.

that isn't much of a platform. i think we are all very casual when discussing Dembele. we really shouldn't count our chickens with him. i don't think its beyond scope of reason that decent clubs might be interested in him. if inter milan, atletico madrid, monaco or someone of that ilk made a bid for him i wouldn't fall off my chair. i also wouldn't be surprised if he was at least half tempted.

he'd certainly be one of the players we should be putting an arm round convincing him his future is with spurs. but do we have anyone at the club who can do that? will ANY of the coaching/technical staff be here next season? i'm concerned that this vacuum levy has created will be extremely de-stabilising in terms of relations with players, and especially players like dembele.

Keeps the ball well but lacks any sort of vision for me. Just seems to carry the ball into areas without any idea what he's going to do when he gets there.

Didn't want to go off topic on the Huddlestone thread so I thought I'd post this here.

It's from the 2008/09 when Van Gaal led AZ Alkmaar to the Erividise title.

[video=youtube;EPbOM3fJ11Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPbOM3fJ11Y[/video]

Back