• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Scotty Parker was a good player for us but it took a long (long) time for me to like him. Every time I watched him I got annoyed. I could see no good in his play at all, nothing progressive, and for a long time all I could really see was his failings. But I came to realise that I was watching him but seeing a different player totally distorted by my own preconceptions of him. Parker was damn good at his job. I guess my point is that the notion of player can sometimes blind you to what your eyes are actually seeing. So I stopped doing that. Now when I look at players, professionals or the kids I coach, I look at what they bring and not what they can't.

Dembele is a monster player who has a dribbling ability, ball retention and ball winning skills that are almost unique. This is what Poch is talking about. Sure he has weaknesses just like every player has, but to focus on those is to fall into the Scott Parker trap. When comments are made about Eriksen's lack of tackling ability or Walker's poor concentration or Alli's indiscipline, or Dembele's lack of goals, I think of Scott Parker and smile.

Last edited:
Unless you're looking at every clubs training pictures how would you know? Let's not overegg Poch here, plenty of managers have strong bonds with their players....
Of course, I'm not arguing otherwise. But I believe I've seen enough training field images over the years to still suggest such an image as this is rare.

The frustrating thing about Dembele is that he doesn't score enough goals for us. In fact, he has yet to score any goal this season. Wish he can step up his game and score a few goals until Kane returns.

Scotty Parker was a good player for us but it took a long (long) time for me to like him. Every time I watched him I got annoyed. I could see no good in his play at all, nothing progressive, and for a long time all I could really see was his failings. But I came to realise that I was watching him but seeing a different player totally distorted by my own preconceptions of him. Parker was damn good at his job. I guess my point is that the notion of player can sometimes blind you to what your eyes are actually seeing. So I stopped doing that. Now when I look at players, professionals or the kids I coach, I look at what they bring and not what they can't.

Dembele is a monster player who has a dribbling ability, ball retention and ball winning skills that are almost unique. This is what Poch is talking about. Sure he has weaknesses just like every player has, but to focus on those is to fall into the Scott Parker trap. When comments are made about Eriksen's lack of tackling ability or Walker's poor concentration or Alli's indiscipline, or Dembele's lack of goals, I think of Scott Parker and smile.
Yeah but no but yeah but his best assist for a long while came today when he just slid in to tackle someone and we were suddenly breaking free at their goal. One touch play

The frustrating thing about Dembele is that he doesn't score enough goals for us. In fact, he has yet to score any goal this season. Wish he can step up his game and score a few goals until Kane returns.

If Dembele was scoring ten/fifteen goals a season, he would be playing for Real Madrid and not us.

Last edited:
Changed the game when he came on for Wanyama. Immediately up to the pace of the game, we looked better in possession and as usual he did his thing, i.e. Holding players off the ball using a blend of strength and skill rarely seen in the modern game.

A Rolls Royce of a footballer, so lucky to have him.

Last edited:
Poch is right Dembele is note the player he is sure to his coaching.

I always saw Dembele as a bit of a headless chicken in his play. Maybe the players around him were not making runs to create space to move or pass.

Credit again to poch who seems to have created a system that suits the whole team without having to make wholesale changes.

Poch is right Dembele is note the player he is sure to his coaching.

I always saw Dembele as a bit of a headless chicken in his play. Maybe the players around him were not making runs to create space to move or pass.

Credit again to poch who seems to have created a system that suits the whole team without having to make wholesale changes.

I think the bolded part is exactly the issue, under AVB the whole team was in a straight jacket. Our attacking movement/players are so much better under Poch. He won't play well every single game and when he has a bad one he really does stink the place out, but I just think we're so lucky to have him and this "lack of goals" that gets thrown at him by fans and pundits is great for us actually as it's kept him off the radar of the Madrids of this world!

Tend to agree, there is no doubting his ability but for someone who has that much he should be scoring more and his assist record ( again for someone with his ability) is poor. He frustrates the hell out of me because ability wise he should be able to improve on both those skills.

Back