• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

I wonder why he seldom shoots.

Because coming from a deeper role teh edge of the area is more congested than when other players like Alli or Kane get into areas of one on one, the amount of times i see Dembele with the ball with two banks of players in front of him it would be counter productive for him to shoot and hit the shins of a player or spoon it wide trying to manipulate an angle. Think Huddlestone and the stats of his blocked shots....

Then if you watch how Spurs play and compare the stats from our squad this season - Top players with assists and Goals - Kane, Alli, Son, Eriksen to years gone by we have players more productive in attacking areas and the stats, why? because alot of that is down to the roles of Dembele and Wanyama that gives them the freedom to have major stats that he does not.

Its called a system and selflessness

Because coming from a deeper role teh edge of the area is more congested than when other players like Alli or Kane get into areas of one on one, the amount of times i see Dembele with the ball with two banks of players in front of him it would be counter productive for him to shoot and hit the shins of a player or spoon it wide trying to manipulate an angle. Think Huddlestone and the stats of his blocked shots....

Then if you watch how Spurs play and compare the stats from our squad this season - Top players with assists and Goals - Kane, Alli, Son, Eriksen to years gone by we have players more productive in attacking areas and the stats, why? because alot of that is down to the roles of Dembele and Wanyama that gives them the freedom to have major stats that he does not.

I am not talking about those moments. I am
talking about the initial move with the ball, which often looks like carrying him into an excellent position, only for him to check and beat his man again to go another direction. I understand very well
how he plays, and it is one of the reasons why I
prefer him further forwards. There were at least two occasions today where be could've been clear in on goal. I think he has more to give in that sense.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Not being funny, I genuinely don't get this
Mate. What do you mean 'what's on paper?

Read Kante stats from last season on paper and you would say he had an average season, look at Pogbas this season and you would say he has been ok. What people take out of stats and reality are miles apart in my opinion.

We all know Kante is a class player and its not in question, Dembele is in the same mould in terms of his importance to the team being off any chart people can produce to say otherwise. Where as a Pogba may read well on paper but his contribution to the team and the system is not anywhere near the two aforementioned.

We are one of the only teams in the league that has a week in week out system, us and Chelsea I would argue and thats down to roles within the team and being well drilled.

Read Kante stats from last season on paper and you would say he had an average season, look at Pogbas this season and you would say he has been ok. What people take out of stats and reality are miles apart in my opinion.

We all know Kante is a class player and its not in question, Dembele is in the same mould in terms of his importance to the team being off any chart people can produce to say otherwise. Where as a Pogba may read well on paper but his contribution to the team and the system is not anywhere near the two aforementioned.

We are one of the only teams in the league that has a week in week out system, us and Chelsea I would argue and thats down to roles within the team and being well drilled.

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment, and ultimately, the manager agrees with you re:Moose as he is a first 11 player right now. I have never paid attention to his stats though. I base my opinions on what I see. And I see a player of immense ability who frustrates me enormously many times. I actually don't read the stat count, but I clock how many times he has a chance to shoot. Funny you raise Kante as I see Wanyama's importance to us being the direct correlate there. The question I would ask (and this is simply in discussion not argument) is what do we lose when Moose doesn't play and Winks sits in his place?

Good debate no arguments

I think Dembele is a better all round unit than Winks but that said winks is a top top talent.

Dembele to Eriksen to Goal yesterday like Wanyama to Eriksen to Alli to Goal versus Chelsea we have players that offer balance to a plan. Yesterday was scrappy by 99% of the time everyone slots and gels in.

Alli and Kanes success come alot from the kind of work you get from Dembele and Wanyama, that's when stats defy...saying that Wanyamas beast stats are off the charts

Pogba is so massively overrated it's unreal. Didn't he get in the team of the tournament at the Euros? He did nothing besides scoring 1 goal in a rout of Iceland.

Dembele definitely needs to shoot/score more often but he's such an important player and MOM yesterday for me.

Dembele can be unstoppable when he does burst through and shoot, and you're left thinking, "Why doesn't he do that more often?"

59daeff5b6f0f61d23694cd777eff3fd.jpg

Ok then... Have you done that?

Whoscored.com had him as the 6th highest rated player in the league based on their overall rating - as far as I know based only on stats. https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016

Highest number of tackles per game in the league, highest number of interceptions per game in the league. Way up there in terms of distance covered too if I remember correctly (never seem to able to find those stats).

I really struggle to think of who would add those stats up to "an average season". I would say only people with absolutely no clue about how to interpret stats would say that.

I read an interview where he said as a kid he used to play scratch games in the street where there were no goals and the object to was to maintain possession of the ball, despite the confined spaces. This was brought up in relation to his refusal to take shots on goal.

Last edited:

Nah. I think he just gets a kick out skinning any player he wants whenever he wants.

Dembele can be unstoppable when he does burst through and shoot, and you're left thinking, "Why doesn't he do that more often?"

59daeff5b6f0f61d23694cd777eff3fd.jpg
I asked the same thing and got this reply from Grays_1890 (apparently other players in this system are allowed to shoot, but not Dembele)

"Because coming from a deeper role teh edge of the area is more congested than when other players like Alli or Kane get into areas of one on one, the amount of times i see Dembele with the ball with two banks of players in front of him it would be counter productive for him to shoot and hit the shins of a player or spoon it wide trying to manipulate an angle. Think Huddlestone and the stats of his blocked shots....

Its called a system and selflessness"

Back