• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

He wasn't great yesterday but that criticism could be applied to most of the team to be fair. I thought West Ham singled him out for bit of special attention actually. He seemed to have 3-4 players hanging off him every time he got the ball. If it was an intentional tactic by Bilic then you have to say it worked.

Not sure about the first half formation either. It pushed everything into the middle.

Last edited:
Disagree he is usually the chap that creates space that will allow others to get an assist.

I think if you look at stats then yes you would be right but if you watch games he disrupts defences and shapes

He hasn't (IMO) disrupted static defences

He controls the midfield as he is the best midfielder in the league but only gets the attacking space when we play more open sides like Arsenal for example. Against static defence like the spammers yesterday he becomes a bit redundant attack wise hence why he gets subbed regularly in those games

He controls the midfield as he is the best midfielder in the league but only gets the attacking space when we play more open sides like Arsenal for example. Against static defence like the spammers yesterday he becomes a bit redundant attack wise hence why he gets subbed regularly in those games

Agreed. In terms of attacking I think he's much better at attacking and exploiting space than he is at creating it, particularly against teams that sit back. When Arsenal left space around and behind their midfielders he did his standard thing gliding past a player and caused huge problems. When he glided past a player against West Ham he often just ran into trouble because there wasn't any space to be exploited and taking the ball past one midfielder when the opponent has 9 or 10 men behind the ball really doesn't create all that much space.

Quick tempo passing is key for me to actually create space against those teams that sit back. If we can do that Dembele will be able to exploit it. As will Alli, Eriksen, Lamela, Son and Kane. As for actually creating space I think Lamela and Eriksen (when on form) as well as potentially Winks are the players to look to.

Agreed. In terms of attacking I think he's much better at attacking and exploiting space than he is at creating it, particularly against teams that sit back. When Arsenal left space around and behind their midfielders he did his standard thing gliding past a player and caused huge problems. When he glided past a player against West Ham he often just ran into trouble because there wasn't any space to be exploited and taking the ball past one midfielder when the opponent has 9 or 10 men behind the ball really doesn't create all that much space.

Quick tempo passing is key for me to actually create space against those teams that sit back. If we can do that Dembele will be able to exploit it. As will Alli, Eriksen, Lamela, Son and Kane. As for actually creating space I think Lamela and Eriksen (when on form) as well as potentially Winks are the players to look to.

We looked so much better when Son was on playing quick pass and move football

Really good point, they have the same strength, build, ability on the ball and yet Dembélé frustrates the hell out of me. He really should have more end product in the number of assists and goals he has.

Absolutely agree. People just cannot get the ball of Dembele, he needs to make more driving runs into the box and have more shots.

Absolutely agree. People just cannot get the ball of Dembele, he needs to make more driving runs into the box and have more shots.

This, for a player who has all the skills and a lot of fan acclaim he should have far more goals and assists to his name. Someone compered him to Yaya but in all honesty he has nothing like the type of record Yaya has.

This, for a player who has all the skills and a lot of fan acclaim he should have far more goals and assists to his name. Someone compered him to Yaya but in all honesty he has nothing like the type of record Yaya has.

Toure once scored 20 league goals in 1 season! Don't think Dembele has ever managed more than 5 league goals in England.

Yep, the most Dembélé has ever scored in a lge season is 3, overall he has 6 goals in 115 lge games for us.
How many assists and goals did Luka modric get? Dembele's influence on our team is at least as important if not more. If goals are not his thing then so be it, he brings so many other qualities to the table that we should overlook this. If you are looking for more goals from midfield then look no further than pathetic contributions of Lamela and Eriksen. Son has been good in spells but has not scored since boro I believe, while Sissoko hasn't hit the ground yet. Make no mistake, much as his detractors like to come out in force when they perceive he has a bad game, Dembele and Kane are our 2 most important players.

Don't agree. He was playing as a defensive midfielder yesterday that makes him less able to support attacks because he has to get back into a defensive position when the ball is lost. If you want him effective in attack then you should play him in a more advanced role imo. He gets subbed to protect him imo.

How many assists and goals did Luka modric get? Dembele's influence on our team is at least as important if not more. If goals are not his thing then so be it, he brings so many other qualities to the table that we should overlook this. If you are looking for more goals from midfield then look no further than pathetic contributions of Lamela and Eriksen. Son has been good in spells but has not scored since boro I believe, while Sissoko hasn't hit the ground yet. Make no mistake, much as his detractors like to come out in force when they perceive he has a bad game, Dembele and Kane are our 2 most important players.

Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but if you are saying that Dembele is in the same class as Modric i could not disagree more. And as for your point that he is one of our 2 most importent players then again i would disagree.

There is no doubt that Dembélé has a lot of talent but for someone who has the same strengths ( or at least some of them) as Yaya which we were talking about in the first place then the returns in goals and assists are miles worse. That is why he frustrates me as he should be showing a lot more in the goals/assists ratio then he does.

And it has nothing to do with ME saying what i have after what others perceive to be a bad game as i have always had this opinion of him.

Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but if you are saying that Dembele is in the same class as Modric i could not disagree more. And as for your point that he is one of our 2 most importent players then again i would disagree.

There is no doubt that Dembélé has a lot of talent but for someone who has the same strengths ( or at least some of them) as Yaya which we were talking about in the first place then the returns in goals and assists are miles worse. That is why he frustrates me as he should be showing a lot more in the goals/assists ratio then he does.

And it has nothing to do with ME saying what i have after what others perceive to be a bad game as i have always had this opinion of him.
Read my post again I have not made a direct comparison between how good Dembele and Modric are. As it happens I am not a Modric fan boy but that is a different argument, it is clear that Modric' skill set is more coveted than dembele's. What I have said is that his influence is at least as important to this current team as Modric's was in Harry's team. As for his importance to the team I would have thought the evidence is overwhelming. Even Poch has acknowledged how important Dembele is.

Read my post again I have not made a direct comparison between how good Dembele and Modric are. As it happens I am not a Modric fan boy but that is a different argument, it is clear that Modric' skill set is more coveted than dembele's. What I have said is that his influence is at least as important to this current team as Modric's was in Harry's team. As for his importance to the team I would have thought the evidence is overwhelming. Even Poch has acknowledged how important Dembele is.

I read your post and understood what you were trying to say especially this part.

(Dembele's influence on our team is at least as important if not more.)

And that is what i disagree with. No where in this conversation have i said Dembélé is a poor player, what i have said is that i believe with the ability he has he could do a lot more, especially in the goals and assists numbers.

Don't agree. He was playing as a defensive midfielder yesterday that makes him less able to support attacks because he has to get back into a defensive position when the ball is lost. If you want him effective in attack then you should play him in a more advanced role imo. He gets subbed to protect him imo.

He plays there for us 99% of the time

Hence why I said he isn't the oakyer to unlock those defences

The whole point started from someone saying he should be playing in attack

He retains possession for us, and is efficient in distracting the opposition and overworking them. On those counts I would have him in my team any day. The question is why aren't the other players taking advantage of this. A run behind or between Dembeles markers is where I'd be to just drain and outsmart them.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think Poch gave him instruction to hang back more against West Ham due to Winks getting the nod alongside him. He didn't seem able to carry the ball forward as much as we've seen him do in the past.

Either way I feel a lot more relaxed about us when he's on the pitch. Interesting to note that we haven't lost with Dembele for something crazy like 30 games. Despite when he went off against West Ham we were losing and we ended up winning.

Good old stats eh!

Back