• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moses - can he lead us to the promised CL land?

How much were Berbs and Modric? How much would similar signings in today's inflated market place? £20-30m would be my guess - see Lamela, Sodado for market guidance.

They wouldn't be cheap, certainly! But although there has been huge inflation in the transfer market since we signed them, there has been a concomitant huge increase in revenues. So, relatively speaking, we're talking about the same level of financial commitment.

The point is that that's the level of quality (or potential) at which we should be aiming.

Last edited:
How long have you rated Bolasie? He undoubtedly has a great second half of last season but I didn't see many people calling for us to sign him last summer. He'll be 26 soon too, so he is not a player who is going to increase in value much either.

I have liked him since season before last but I wouldnt of clamoured for us to sign him...just like his style, but yeah last season was very impressive from him...what mainly got me was his performance at whl where we scraped a 0-0 draw.,,he absolutely tormented us....since then I have wanted us to sign him.

I think being just 26 its wrong to suggest there wouldn't be any potential resale value...if he were to have an amazing season for us you could see big money bids for a player who is 27-28.

From a selfish point of view I agree this would not be an essential buy (the brain) but (my heart) would be thrilled if we signed him up....because I genuinely believe he would be the 'maverick' the difference for us when we come up against the so called lesser sides and struggle to break them down.

Come on Milo you know it makes sense......we all need some Yannick Bolasie in our lives even though there are poor little souls who dont seem to realise this :)

How many positions do you think we need genuine class in? For me it's two. CF and CM. Get the right two players there and we could be a contender for top four. Fail to do so and we will be also rans - again.

i don't think we need genuine class upfront, we need a dependable backup to Kane - Austin/Remy/Berahino something along those lines (as opposed to 30m+ Benteke type deals) although as with every team on the planet a genuine top class CF would be rather nice.

CM first and foremost needs attention for the reasons previously listed and then id probably look for genuine competition for the RWF position - that'd improve our play as a team much more than adding a top quality CF would, but of course we need good back up to Kane, but not at the expense of the other positions.

Austin & Mirallas would take care of CF and RWF positions and should leave us with a good amount of money to strengthen CM

spending 20-30m on a forward would leave us unable to suitably strengthen the other positions

it's all about doing the best for the team with the money available, buying an expensive striker may excite you but won't address the problems the team had over last season

Bolaise is over rated, got skills but that's all

Bolaise??? are you referring to a french sauce/source?

fair play mate, I would come back with the put him in a better side argument and see how he rocks, but I know that wont sway you....I dont think you need to worry anyway...looks like were nowhere near him.

but if we do go in for him I will pm you my home address so you can send me a feck load of strawberries...I will need them to accompany the vast amount of cream that will occur in my pants.

Yeah, I don't think we need to spend loads on a striker either. Central Midfield is the position we need to go all out for.
I'd be happy with Austin, or even using they black box to find a young kid from abroad for under 10m. Maybe top it up with a winger who can play up front like Mirallas.

Oh, and we also need a winger. A fast, direct, skilful winger! So that's 4 players!!!

I have liked him since season before last but I wouldnt of clamoured for us to sign him...just like his style, but yeah last season was very impressive from him...what mainly got me was his performance at whl where we scraped a 0-0 draw.,,he absolutely tormented us....since then I have wanted us to sign him.

I think being just 26 its wrong to suggest there wouldn't be any potential resale value...if he were to have an amazing season for us you could see big money bids for a player who is 27-28.

From a selfish point of view I agree this would not be an essential buy (the brain) but (my heart) would be thrilled if we signed him up....because I genuinely believe he would be the 'maverick' the difference for us when we come up against the so called lesser sides and struggle to break them down.

Come on Milo you know it makes sense......we all need some Yannick Bolasie in our lives even though there are poor little souls who dont seem to realise this :)

I've just got a seeking suspicion that he is at his peak value right now and we are not in a position to buy players when they are at their most expensive.

I've just got a seeking suspicion that he is at his peak value right now and we are not in a position to buy players when they are at their most expensive.

next gg awards I shall be nominating your good self for the following award......

'most times spent piddling on someone's parade'

By all means, let's sell Townsend. If we can replace him with someone who is top quality (or top quality potential) for less than we receive for him, then all the better. But let's not buy players who are, at best, a marginal upgrade. We've been down that route before and we already know that it doesn't take us to where we want to go.

The only way we can hope to rise beyond this 5th / 6th plateau is if we buy players of a much higher quality or potential than those we already have, and supplement them with promotions from our outstanding academy.
If we replaced all our dross with equal quality but made £5-10m on each we could spend s lot on upgrading the first team.

They wouldn't be cheap, certainly! But although there has been huge inflation in the transfer market since we signed them, there has been a concomitant huge increase in revenues. So, relatively speaking, we're talking about the same level of financial commitment.

The point is that that's the level of quality (or potential) at which we should be aiming.

And my point is that if they were circa £15 m then , they would be circa £30 m now. You have to pay for class. There is simply no point low balling as a matter of strategy.

If we replaced all our dross with equal quality but made £5-10m on each we could spend s lot on upgrading the first team.

But why replace our dross with players of equal quality at all?

Wouldn't it be more sensible to miss out your middle stage and spend ALL the generated money on players who will upgrade the first team?

And my point is that if they were circa £15 m then , they would be circa £30 m now. You have to pay for class. There is simply no point low balling as a matter of strategy.

Yes, probably £20-30m now. Which would represent the same financial commitment, relatively speaking.

i don't think we need genuine class upfront, we need a dependable backup to Kane - Austin/Remy/Berahino something along those lines (as opposed to 30m+ Benteke type deals) although as with every team on the planet a genuine top class CF would be rather nice.

CM first and foremost needs attention for the reasons previously listed and then id probably look for genuine competition for the RWF position - that'd improve our play as a team much more than adding a top quality CF would, but of course we need good back up to Kane, but not at the expense of the other positions.

Austin & Mirallas would take care of CF and RWF positions and should leave us with a good amount of money to strengthen CM

spending 20-30m on a forward would leave us unable to suitably strengthen the other positions

it's all about doing the best for the team with the money available, buying an expensive striker may excite you but won't address the problems the team had over last season

As I've said before, I doubt Kane will produce to anything like the same level as last year. Hence a key replacement is vital imo. I would spend 30m each on two key positions rather than 10-15m on four average players.

If you want him not to perform, I guess going out and buying a 30 million striker is a good start.

Sometimes I just don't get this world. If a young local striker having a great season, even getting past the magic 20 goal in a pl season mark, can't earn the right to be first choice, then we've already lost. We can't compete with the biggest teams in the world financially, and so we won't be able to buy players that can guarantee improvment. Getting young talent to perform is the only way we can compete, and in Kane we have, imo, one of the biggest talents in England, and some want to replace him..

If you want him not to perform, I guess going out and buying a 30 million striker is a good start.

Sometimes I just don't get this world. If a young local striker having a great season, even getting past the magic 20 goal in a pl season mark, can't earn the right to be first choice, then we've already lost. We can't compete with the biggest teams in the world financially, and so we won't be able to buy players that can guarantee improvment. Getting young talent to perform is the only way we can compete, and in Kane we have, imo, one of the biggest talents in England, and some want to replace him..
The point is Kane could be a one season wonder and might not reach the heights of last season again. I don't think he will be but at this stage we don't know. Regardless, we need another top striker unless Soldado finally discovers his goal scoring boots and Kane has proved he is capable of playing behind a striker anyway....

The point is Kane could be a one season wonder and might not reach the heights of last season again. I don't think he will be but at this stage we don't know. Regardless, we need another top striker unless Soldado finally discovers his goal scoring boots and Kane has proved he is capable of playing behind a striker anyway....

If the persistent Llorente rumours are correct, that is what we are doing...

As I've said before, I doubt Kane will produce to anything like the same level as last year. Hence a key replacement is vital imo. I would spend 30m each on two key positions rather than 10-15m on four average players.

We don't have 60m laying around so it's a moot point really but if we did I wouldn't be in favour of spending 30m on a forward when we've got one already here off the back of a 30 goal season! We'll back Kane to continue his development, and rightly so.

If we need first team signings sure go for quality over quantity, agreed, but not for backups - this is where we need to shop smart. There are forwards available in the 10-15m bracket that are more than good enough to be apart of a squad with our aspirations (and probably push for a starting place too)

Last edited:

Not sure that is true, what some are saying though ( including me) is that Kane may not be as good next season as the last ( it happens with a lot of young players) defenders will work out what his strengths are, so will managers ( Jose did in the final and he hardly got a kick). He may also get injured and miss a lot of games, I would have gone for Benteke to play with Kane not instead of him as I believe Kane will be even better playing behind a leader of the line.

We don't have 60m laying around so it's a moot point really but if we did I wouldn't be in favour of spending 30m on a forward when we've got one already here off the back of a 30 goal season! We'll back Kane to continue his development, and rightly so.

If we need first team signings sure go for quality over quantity, agreed, but not for backups - this is where we need to shop smart.

Taking your three improvement players Austin, Mirallas and " a top CM" , how much do you think that would cost? Not much change out of 60m, I'll wager. And not much improve ment either imo. Shopping smart is great as long as it isn't in the bargain basement bins if we have ambitions of CL in the near future.

Not sure that is true, what some are saying though ( including me) is that Kane may not be as good next season as the last ( it happens with a lot of young players) defenders will work out what his strengths are, so will managers ( Jose did in the final and he hardly got a kick). He may also get injured and miss a lot of games, I would have gone for Benteke to play with Kane not instead of him as I believe Kane will be even better playing behind a leader of the line.

How do you think spending 30m on Benteke would have affected our ability to strengthen other areas of the team?

How do you think spending 30m on Benteke would have affected our ability to strengthen other areas of the team?

I've already said that I would prefer to spend 30m on CF and CM positions rather than 4 average 15m players .

Edit - sorry I now see that wasn't directed to me. But the answer still stands. And I agree fully with Park Lane.

Back