• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moses - can he lead us to the promised CL land?

sorry Dubai, what i was hinting at was that i think it kind of puts a very large hole in your recent complaints that Levy is fobbing off his managers with bargain basement offerings if you're happy to accept this particular target based on some rumors that Poch wanted him at Soton - very little info is leaked as to which target is primary/secondary etc or indeed which targets are put forward by which member of staff. so if you can accept Moses as a Poch target i don't see how you can say other players you've complained about are any less likely to have been his targets too, at the very least it should highlight that you can't just assume that a cheap signing is not a player wanted by the manager...

Oh, I see. Well, I think you misunderstood me a bit, mate: that tidbit about Poch supposedly previously wanting him at Soton was just something I put out there, since I deemed it interesting. As for whether or not Poch really wants cheap bargain bins (perhaps similar to Moses), I'm actually not as concerned about it this year, if you can believe that. :) The way Poch is ruthlessly clearing out the likes of Stambouli and even (perhaps) Fazio just a year after they were given to him is a clear indication (imo) that he won't stand for being given bargain basement players he doesn't want, and will happily sideline them unnecessarily if that's what's required to prove that point. If Levy flings him brick on a stick that he bought for a pound at the thrift store (as per usual), I'm fairly certain that Poch will just fling it back at him now.

It's also the reason that I'm so upbeat about getting in a good DM this window: I can't imagine Poch wanting another Stambo on deadline day, and I'm fairly certain that, despite the profit we're likely to make on Benji,Levy won't pull that again and risk his bargain bin stagnating for a year before being sold on the very next window. And that's also why, as I mentioned before, I won't mind if Moses comes, or even Rickie Lambert: If Poch wants them, great, and if not, he'll just sideline them like Stambouli again and hope that Levy gets the message. Imo, of course. ;)

I am not convinced that Bolasie will be able to keep up the form he showed in the second half of last season.

Fair enough, I am not sure you will be able to keep up your levels of being 'mild mannered' and 'intelligent' for the second half of this season.

I really like Bolasie I think if we signed him he would be adored here...I really do...your stereotypical spurs player with flair and a bit of vajazzle. Would get my granyons yearning far more than a deal for 'bet' Victor.

Positional wise I think we need a player who is as flexible as Moses is, lets just say I would much rather we got in Mirallas who is much more productive than Moses imho.

Lets just say my dream is for us to sign Rabiot, Bolasie, Mirallas & another striker...probably Destro.....4 in and sell Vlad, Benji, Faz, lennon, Ade...jobs a good un...make it happen please Baldy & Baldi or I will cry like little baby girl.

The money we make by replacing Townsend with a better, cheaper player can go towards the funds for the first team.

That makes sense to me.

By all means, let's sell Townsend. If we can replace him with someone who is top quality (or top quality potential) for less than we receive for him, then all the better. But let's not buy players who are, at best, a marginal upgrade. We've been down that route before and we already know that it doesn't take us to where we want to go.

The only way we can hope to rise beyond this 5th / 6th plateau is if we buy players of a much higher quality or potential than those we already have, and supplement them with promotions from our outstanding academy.

By all means, let's sell Townsend. If we can replace him with someone who is top quality (or top quality potential) for less than we receive for him, then all the better. But let's not buy players who are, at best, a marginal upgrade. We've been down that route before and we already know that it doesn't take us to where we want to go.

The only way we can hope to rise beyond this 5th / 6th plateau is if we buy players of a much higher quality or potential than those we already have, and supplement them with promotions from our outstanding academy.

Unfortunately our club doesn't seem to realise that, and likes to shop in car boot sales. It seems like each summer, we have one dazzling signing, and the rest consists of players whose arrival is questionable at the time, and who are sold/pushed in to the reserves, within the next season.

Unfortunately our club doesn't seem to realise that, and likes to shop in car boot sales. It seems like each summer, we have one dazzling signing, and the rest consists of players whose arrival is questionable at the time, and who are sold/pushed in to the reserves, within the next season.

we dont even make any of these any more

I'm hoping that we might have learnt the lesson by now.

Levy did, after all, say that he intended to return to the former model for buying players. And that did give us the likes of Berbatov, Modric and Bale.

I don't want to rely on a single player to win games for us - Last season fans complained about Kane getting us out of trouble, a couple of seasons before it was Bale - blowing our wedge on another player to score goals ahead of improving positions which would make us more if a functioning team would only see a repeat of that, and correct me of im wrong but you yourself were often one of those who was quick to point out the pitfalls of relying ona player in such a way, doesn't really match up with what you've been saying during this window IMV - the priority should be the team, whilst there are areas of the first XI which need improving.

improving CM would not only help tighten up our defense it would also improve our transitional play, allowing the attacking 4 players to flourish as we will move the ball forward better and cut out opponent attacks sooner.

Not me gov. You must have me mixed up with someone else. I certainly don't want a team of functionaries. I want to be entertained when I go to Spurs. Just because I want a sprinkling of stardust and players that can change a game, doesn't mean I want to rely on them exclusively. Who doesn't want a Bale, Ronaldo, Messi in their team.

Not me gov. You must have me mixed up with someone else. I certainly don't want a team of functionaries. I want to be entertained when I go to Spurs. Just because I want a sprinkling of stardust and players that can change a game, doesn't mean I want to rely on them exclusively. Who doesn't want a Bale, Ronaldo, Messi in their team.

The point is that by not addressing the short falls of the team we would be damning ourselves to rely on individuals once again

The point is that by not addressing the short falls of the team we would be damning ourselves to rely on individuals once again

The team has shortfalls - on that we agree. Where we ( I think ) differ, is that I want to supplement our core with genuine class, while you seem to want more of the same so the "team ethic" is paramount. To me, you can't beat class and for those areas in which we are lacking, we need the best possible players( within our limitations of non CL, not high wage payers etc). We should shoot for the moon, then we might at least hit a few stars.

the only Spurs player ive seen heavily linked with Chelsea in recent years was Modric and that was genuine interest. Chelsea players? Moses and...............

its far from frequent

Ryan Bertrand; Juan Mata; Demba Ba; Mohamed Salah; Romelu Lukaku; Andre Schurrle; Victor Moses......

All current (at the time) Chelsea players who have been linked by the papers to Spurs in the past couple of years.

Not so many linked the other way, of course, because we haven't had that many players of sufficient quality over the past couple of years. Nevertheless, Mousa Dembele was linked with a move to Stamford Bridge earlier this summer.

So quite frequent enough.

The team has shortfalls - on that we agree. Where we ( I think ) differ, is that I want to supplement our core with genuine class, while you seem to want more of the same so the "team ethic" is paramount. To me, you can't beat class and for those areas in which we are lacking, we need the best possible players( within our limitations of non CL, not high wage payers etc). We should shoot for the moon, then we might at least hit a few stars.

I want genuine class too but i also want to improve the team, not just spend money on a player to score the goals. You spend most of you budget on a forward then you're not going to be able to buy the required quality on the positions which will improve the team...

May I just pipe in and mention how much that phrase irritates my latent pedanticism? The Moon is 384,400 kilometres away. The nearest star (Alpha Centauri) is 41,500,000,000,000 kilometres away. The chance of any aimed shot hitting the moon (with 'hitting' here understood to mean falling into its surface or its orbit) is actually fairly high when compared to the daunting task of trying to hit an unimaginably distant celestial object blazing through a patch of space so distant that a space shuttle travelling at full speed would take 165,000 years to get there. Hitting the moon is actually much, much easier than hitting a damn star.

Anyway, carry on mate. :p

I'm hoping that we might have learnt the lesson by now.

Levy did, after all, say that he intended to return to the former model for buying players. And that did give us the likes of Berbatov, Modric and Bale.

How much were Berbs and Modric? How much would similar signings in today's inflated market place? £20-30m would be my guess - see Lamela, Sodado for market guidance.

Ryan Bertrand; Juan Mata; Demba Ba; Mohamed Salah; Romelu Lukaku; Andre Schurrle; Victor Moses......

All current (at the time) Chelsea players who have been linked by the papers to Spurs in the past couple of years.

Not so many linked the other way, of course, because we haven't had that many players of sufficient quality over the past couple of years. Nevertheless, Mousa Dembele was linked with a move to Stamford Bridge earlier this summer.

So quite frequent enough.

Hazard, Cahill, Willian and Marin too

I want genuine class too but i also want to improve the team, not just spend money on a player to score the goals. You spend most of you budget on a forward then you're not going to be able to buy the required quality on the positions which will improve the team...

How many positions do you think we need genuine class in? For me it's two. CF and CM. Get the right two players there and we could be a contender for top four. Fail to do so and we will be also rans - again.

Fair enough, I am not sure you will be able to keep up your levels of being 'mild mannered' and 'intelligent' for the second half of this season.

I really like Bolasie I think if we signed him he would be adored here...I really do...your stereotypical spurs player with flair and a bit of vajazzle. Would get my granyons yearning far more than a deal for 'bet' Victor.

Positional wise I think we need a player who is as flexible as Moses is, lets just say I would much rather we got in Mirallas who is much more productive than Moses imho.

Lets just say my dream is for us to sign Rabiot, Bolasie, Mirallas & another striker...probably Destro.....4 in and sell Vlad, Benji, Faz, lennon, Ade...jobs a good un...make it happen please Baldy & Baldi or I will cry like little baby girl.

How long have you rated Bolasie? He undoubtedly has a great second half of last season but I didn't see many people calling for us to sign him last summer. He'll be 26 soon too, so he is not a player who is going to increase in value much either.

Hazard, Cahill, Willian and Marin too

I could be wrong but I think we were only linked to them before they joined Chelsea - and they beat us to each of them (also beat us to Courtois, I believe)! I don't think we've been linked to them since.

May I just pipe in and mention how much that phrase irritates my latent pedanticism? The Moon is 384,400 kilometres away. The nearest star (Alpha Centauri) is 41,500,000,000,000 kilometres away. The chance of any aimed shot hitting the moon (with 'hitting' here understood to mean falling into its surface or its orbit) is actually fairly high when compared to the daunting task of trying to hit an unimaginably distant celestial object blazing through a patch of space so distant that a space shuttle travelling at full speed would take 165,000 years to get there. Hitting the moon is actually much, much easier than hitting a damn star.

Anyway, carry on mate. :p

Ah yes, pedant alert indeed!

I could be wrong but I think we were only linked to them before they joined Chelsea - and they beat us to each of them (also beat us to Courtois, I believe)! I don't think we've been linked to them since.

You're right. I got the wrong end of the stick

Back