• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

Re: Morgan Schneiderlin; Southampton blocked my move to a club not in the CL

Cabaye sounds like it's going through, so I wouldn't rule it out, although perhaps not in January.

He wants CL. He isn't going to get that with us anytime soon.

Last summer he wanted to come to us because he thought that under Poch we had a team that could challenge for the top 4/win the europa in the next couple of years (on paper). Now this year at Southampton he may actually get to the champs league, which is why I say that he won't move in January. Right now, there is no way to tell if even Arsenal will make it into the top 4, so he will likely be waiting for the season to end before making any decision.

I can easily see Southampton letting him go too. They will be able to turn around and say to the fans "hey we lost 5 of our best players and manager and went on to do better without them. We can do the same without Schneiderlin if he chooses to leave". Koeman has come in and done well, even if they fall short, the fans will know that losing one player won't undo the whole team.

proper test for southampton today, he may change his mind now

proper test for southampton today, he may change his mind now

He got pulled off at HT, not sure why (didn't see the game)

Southampton will do the typical PL 1st third of season overperformer thing, and drop back (next 9 games have some very tough fixtures for tem) to a more normal position on table.

A very bad run of games for Southampton to be without their star player... Fingers crossed he's fit to face the Goons...

@NabilHassan79: More from Koeman: "Morgan Schneiderlin had pain in his muscle, it was not the same injury as before. Maybe it will be difficult for Weds."

@MC_of_A: A game of two halves. The first half featured Morgan Schneiderlin owning midfield. The second half.. did not.

Halftime xG map for Soton-City. Soton had one flurry at the goal mouth, otherwise both defenses standing strong.
B3sjBgqCYAApA2B.png

xG map for Soton-City. Schneiderlin on pitch: 1.0 - 0.3. Schneiderlin off: 0.3 - 1.6. City took full advantage.
B3syaAuCMAAHAjB.png

He got pulled off at HT, not sure why (didn't see the game)

Southampton will do the typical PL 1st third of season overperformer thing, and drop back (next 9 games have some very tough fixtures for tem) to a more normal position on table.

Theyre doing anything to keep him happy.

Good player though he is, do we actually need Schneiderlin? Perhaps i haven't seen him play as much as some others, but would he actually add much to what we already have? Central midfield is one are we're we can hardly be said to be light on numbers, particularly witj Mason and Bentaleb having broken through and added to the mix. Unless MS is going to be a real game changer for us, my preference would be for us to focus our energies on the bringing along the midfield talent already at our disposal rather than parachuting in yet another body.

Good player though he is, do we actually need Schneiderlin? Perhaps i haven't seen him play as much as some others, but would he actually add much to what we already have? Central midfield is one are we're we can hardly be said to be light on numbers, particularly witj Mason and Bentaleb having broken through and added to the mix. Unless MS is going to be a real game changer for us, my preference would be for us to focus our energies on the bringing along the midfield talent already at our disposal rather than parachuting in yet another body.

I would assume MS is the finished player as part of the 2 CMs covering the back

Mason/Bentaleb may yet turn out to be that pair for us, but they both need to grow/improve/learn on the job, there will be off days.

Honestly my preference would be instead of spending a huge sum on MS, I'd prefer we spend a smaller amount on a more experienced midfielder (30/31) who can play a role, but also help develop Mason/Bentaleb/Carroll/etc.

Yes. Do not get carried away with today great result as it was. Currently Schneiderlin is a step up on both Bentaleb and Mason. For me our defensive midfielders would be Schneiderlin and another. I also really liked the look of Stambouli vs Partizan.

Yes. Do not get carried away with today great result as it was. Currently Schneiderlin is a step up on both Bentaleb and Mason. For me our defensive midfielders would be Schneiderlin and another. I also really liked the look of Stambouli vs Partizan.

Schneiderlin, Mason, Bentaleb and Stambouli as our CM quartet would be very nice (moving on Dembele, Capoue and Paulinho).

I'm still on the fence here re: Schneiderlin, but one thing he has going for him is experience. Bentaleb is still young and won't play every game in a season for at least another couple of years.

If we can find buyers for Dembele and Capoue we could use one additional CM, preferably someone with a bit of experience and leadership.

Still hoping we'll see more of the 3 man midfield, that allows us to use Eriksen there as well.

He is gone. Zilch, zippo, nada will get him to Spurs now. Our chance came, and gleefully went.They aren't exactly rocket science, these conclusions. :p

I would assume MS is the finished player as part of the 2 CMs covering the back

Mason/Bentaleb may yet turn out to be that pair for us, but they both need to grow/improve/learn on the job, there will be off days.

Honestly my preference would be instead of spending a huge sum on MS, I'd prefer we spend a smaller amount on a more experienced midfielder (30/31) who can play a role, but also help develop Mason/Bentaleb/Carroll/etc.

Carrick is on a bosman next summer he could be the steady influence for us that Barry is for Everton.

Hmm, if you call our chance refusing to pay over 25mill, then I'm glad we missed it!

Refusing to pay over 10 million, I suspect. And I heartily disagree with the spirit of your post as well: for me, it was a disaster on many, many levels.

But that is besides the point: the key now is that even if we could somehow overcome our renowned miserliness and pay what he's worth, he won't want to come: that love for Poch that drove his ardor in the summer has by now presumably been replaced by a more practical outlook that probably weighs playing in the CL (given that he's 25 going on 26, entering his prime) far higher than reuniting with his old boss at a club that thinks he isn't worth the money Southampton are asking for.

So, yeah, he won't come. Best to move on, and focus on the players who can come in for the prices we're willing to pay and for achievements that we can offer them.

Refusing to pay over 10 million, I suspect. And I heartily disagree with the spirit of your post as well: for me, it was a disaster on many, many levels.

But that is besides the point: the key now is that even if we could somehow overcome our renowned miserliness and pay what he's worth, he won't want to come: that love for Poch that drove his ardor in the summer has by now presumably been replaced by a more practical outlook that probably weighs playing in the CL (given that he's 25 going on 26, entering his prime) far higher than reuniting with his old boss at a club that thinks he isn't worth the money Southampton are asking for.

So, yeah, he won't come. Best to move on, and focus on the players who can come in for the prices we're willing to pay and for achievements that we can offer them.

Regretfully agree. We missed our chance with him. Would love it not to be so.

Regretfully agree. We missed our chance with him. Would love it not to be so.

'Regret' is one word that props up very, very frequently when it comes to our transfers. Still, no point going on about what can't be undone: just wondering why this thread was bumped up, is all.

Carrick is on a bosman next summer he could be the steady influence for us that Barry is for Everton.

That is not a bad idea, actually. Doubt he'd fit Poch's pressing system, though: perhaps Fletcher would be a better bit.

'Regret' is one word that props up very, very frequently when it comes to our transfers. Still, no point going on about what can't be undone: just wondering why this thread was bumped up, is all.

That is not a bad idea, actually. Doubt he'd fit Poch's pressing system, though: perhaps Fletcher would be a better bit.

If we were going to offer Carrick a deal, it should be January (he's not going to win any titles/trophies with United this season, and he will likely get less playing time as their injury list lessens).

Small amount, early cash in for United vs. nothing next year.

Back