• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mobile upgrade help please

I got the HTC One S the other week and I have to say it's been brilliant so far. Best phone that I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Thanks for the replies.

I almost requested in my original post to please lets not have any apple/android/nokia fisticuffs :D

Its tough to compare phones, usually you only have full on access to the one you use every day, and that only changes every 18/24 months.

And imo the last upgrades we have all had have coincided with a real leap in power and user interface/experience. I know i found that with the s2. I don't know where to fault it. It never annoys me. I would say 50% of my web browsing is now done on the s2.

I don't think she can wait for the launch (or not) of new ip5 or w8 offerings. She is pulling her hair out with the nokia e72 she currently uses, it really is a crock of sh*t (usability), the e71 was such a good phone. So she is coming from symbiam, so will probably not find it too hard to be impressed.

Its fine lines with the top phones and possibly other things such as battery life, contract price, network coverage (i don't think i can risk 3 where we live), customer service, and roaming charges are equally if not more important now.

We use gmail, google docs, and google maps(my maps) a lot so thought this maybe better on android?

neither of us have itunes or macs at home/work (love apple products just never given them any money)

couple of years ago i looked at windows mobile....may revisit that.

orange deals on dial a phone.....panther 36 or 31 look ok??

http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/aw2/phone/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III/

the o2 coverage checker looks best in my area,(no great deals on o2 though?) they say they have had a big 3G900 upgrade (whatever that is?), i just know when it says 'H' on the signal bar anything is possible! (except outside communication with anyone on match days at the lane](*,))

Apple must publicly admit that Samsung did not copy the iPad when designing its own tablets, a judge has ruled.

Apple must put a notice on its website for six months acknowledging the recent ruling against Apple's claim that Samsung had copied its iPad design. The company must also put an announcement in several newspapers and magazines, Bloomberg reports.

Richard Hacon, Apple's lawyer, said the order was prejudicial because the company was being forced to publish "an advertisement" for Samsung. He told the court: “No company likes to refer to a rival on its website.”

Apple is expected to appeal against the ruling.

A Samsung spokesman said: "Should Apple continue to make excessive legal claims based on such generic designs, innovation in the industry could be harmed and consumer choice unduly limited."

Samsung also applied for an injunction banning Apple from saying the Galaxy Tab copied its designs but Judge Birss did not grant it. He said: “They are entitled to their opinion that the judgment is not correct."

Last week, Apple lost its case, at the High Court in London, in which it had claimed that the Galaxy Tab "slavishly copies" the design of the iPad. Judge Colin Birss said: “They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design."

He added: “They are not as cool. The overall impression produced is different.”

The court dismissed Apple's claim on the basis of two key differences between the Galaxy Tab and Apple's tablet. First, the court said the Galaxy Tabs were significantly thinner than Apple's iPad. Second, the detailing on the back of Samsung's tablets was distinctive and unusual.

Judge Birss said "informed users" would be able to spot the difference between the two tablets.

Apple has been locked in legal battles worldwide with manufacturers of Android handsets over the designs of their respective smartphones and tablet computers. While Apple has had some success over Samsung in the US and in Germany, it's defeat to Samsung over tablets is its second recent defeat in British courts.

Earlier this month Apple lost a claim against HTC over four iPhone related patents. A judge ruled that HTC had not infringed on the patents, including one concerning the iPhone's slide-to-unlock feature.

Apple was not available for comment at the time of publication.

Ok, I also need bit of upgrade advice.. Had an HTC Desire for last 2 years (quite like it) but i'm now ready to upgrade..

I've lost touch with phones over last couple years so what should I go for? My only real concern having had a quick look around at the weekend was that mobile phones are now MASSIVE.. when did that happen!? 2 years ago when I got a Desire I was worried about the size of it and whether it would fit in my pocket etc and i'm not sure I want to go any bigger.

What are some good options out there at the min?

HTC, Samusung or iPhone? Windows or Android etc

apple-samsung-nokia.jpg

I have an iPhone which would be my reccommendation - but perhaps wait and see what some of other users have to say

It really comes down to personal preference at the end of day - go and view the phones in person, see the look and feel, built quality, size, etc.

Yeah iPhone 5 is out soon though ain't it? wouldn't it be a bit stupid to get a 4s now for the next 24 months!?

If you're used to HTC why not get a HTC again?

Also if you stick with android then all the apps you already have should be available on your new device with no extra charge. If you get an Iphone then you'll have to start again and pay again for those apps.

It is all personal preference though.

It really comes down to personal preference at the end of day - go and view the phones in person, see the look and feel, built quality, size, etc.

Pretty much this. You can do whatever you want with pretty much any phone from most companys, so in the end it comes down to what feels best in your hand. I have a HTC One X that I'm very pleased with, but it may be a bit too big for some. It boiles down to personal preference and how much money you want to spend.

Ok, I also need bit of upgrade advice.. Had an HTC Desire for last 2 years (quite like it) but i'm now ready to upgrade..

I've lost touch with phones over last couple years so what should I go for? My only real concern having had a quick look around at the weekend was that mobile phones are now MASSIVE.. when did that happen!? 2 years ago when I got a Desire I was worried about the size of it and whether it would fit in my pocket etc and i'm not sure I want to go any bigger.

What are some good options out there at the min?

HTC, Samusung or iPhone? Windows or Android etc

I still have a Desire

If I were forced to buy a phone tomorrow, I'd probably take a very long look at the Galaxy S3

[video=youtube;CW0DUg63lqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU[/video]

And remember

"Good artists copy, great artists steal. We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas", Steve Jobs

Any idea if 4g will be of use to you? if so hold up a little longer and weight until orange launch it in the UK.

Had a look this afternoon and I like the look of (and reviews) for both the Galaxy S3 and the HTC One X. I still think they are too big though.

I'm leaning towards waiting for the new iPhone.

I dont know your finances but if you can I'd say buy one sim free and then get a sim only deal. Will worth out much cheaper. As I'd been with Vodafone for a while I managed to get 600 minutes, unlimited texts and a gig of data for £10 a month on a 12 month deal. Then you arent tied in anywhere either and can upgrade earlier if you want to.

If say I'd got a phone on a £35 tariff then I'd have paid an extra £600 over 2 years while most phones would cost around £400 (apart from the iPhone) or less if you can find a good deal somewhere.

Article here on best sim only deals but if you have been with your current operator a while then you can probably get a better deal - http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...ones/best-sim-only-mobile-phone-deals-1091108

I think most phone now are around £4 - 500 when they come out but if you wait 2 months or so then they drop quite a bit. Can also get good deals on ebay and amazon marketplace on people selling unwanted upgrades etc.

As for what phone too many to choose from really, I like windows so I'd say one of the new windows ones (Nokia are unveiling theirs on Thursday and Samsung have just announced their Ativ range).

New Blackberry operating system is due in January, supposed to be really really good. First impression review here - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/blackberry-10-1090522/review

Loads of Android phone out. New Sony Xperia T looks slick then theres the Galaxy S3 which people at work love.

If you like iphones wait for the 5,if you like windows wait till windows 8, if you like android and can handle big phones the HTC one x (better screen) and Samsung s3 (better, removable battery and sd card support) are fantastic, if you like android and want a smaller phone the HTC one s is very, very good.

Personally I prefer android but it depends on your experience with your last phone really. Android has come a long way since the desire came out but it's still got the same things going for it, just faster, prettier and with more apps/widgets/games.

As you don't have a blackberry already its safe to say you won't be interested in one for a while!

Back