• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mobile upgrade help please

ricky2tricky4city

Tom Huddlestone
The Mrs has just fallen out of contract (vodafone) so free to play the market.

She is more than likely opting for the Galaxy S3......i have the S2 and have been very pleased.

Anyone else (or mates) have the S3 and if so are you happy so far?

Any issues (mainly reception) with the network you're on?

Anyone had or know of any top deals? please reveal. Thanks in advance.

People do love the S3, looks a bit big to me and is too light, I like to feel a phones presence a little more in my pocket for comfort so I know its there.

iphone 5 and windows phone 8 are both due in October, I'd wait and get one of those myself.

Brother has the S3 and is delighted with it. Dont think its too big and very slim which i like.
Im looking for a new phone myself and its between that one and the iphone 4s(assuming it comes down in price as 5 is due to be out in October)

Had an interesting conversation with one of the agents of one of providers on sat and she mentioned that the samsung price will fall from next month,
as the network providers will no longer be 'locked in' to the price at which they must sell the phone.

A few mates of mine have the S3 and it's fantastic. Screen is amazing, it's as fast and flexible as the S2 (which i have) and it feels really nice in the hand. No complaints about signal on Three or Orange from them.

S3 is sexy

I've been with Three (I was also a long time customer of Vodafone) for a couple of months

They are much cheaper and better so far

Just got the HTC One X.

Still trying to find time to play around, but seems a big improvement over previous Desire in speed and screen brightness.

The Mrs has just fallen out of contract (vodafone) so free to play the market.

She is more than likely opting for the Galaxy S3......i have the S2 and have been very pleased.

Anyone else (or mates) have the S3 and if so are you happy so far?

Any issues (mainly reception) with the network you're on?

Anyone had or know of any top deals? please reveal. Thanks in advance.

When you say 'free to play the market' can you expand on that...? 8-[

Wait a few months (if possible) for the iPhone 5 and compare your options then. Mind you - the S3's built quality compared to the current iPhone is absolutely appauling, imv.

Wait a few months (if possible) for the iPhone 5 and compare your options then. Mind you - the S3's built quality compared to the current iPhone is absolutely appauling, imv.

You said the same thing about the s2 when it came out and a year later I know no one with a broken s2 and half a dozen people with cracked iPhones.

The galaxy phones are thin, light and plastic, but that doesn't mean they're poorly built at all. Solid and heavy gives an illusion of better build but glass is more suceptable to cracking, particularly when bordered by rigid metal.

I can see why people like a heavier phone as it balances out in their hand nicely but the idea that they're poorly built if they're not rigid and heavy is nonsense, my s2 can testify to that after bouncing back from numerous drops and still looking brand new.

The one x is a good shout too - screen is as nice if not nicer than the s3 and it's a beautiful phone imo.

I have to say I'm loving the new windows phones too, got to use a lumia 900 the other week and it was a really great experience, somewhere between iOS and android.

Solid and heavy is not an illusion of better built, the differences are rather telling, imv - your dislike against the brand appears to be kicking in again. Korean / Asian manufacturers (much like with most of their products) need to compete on price more than anything (since they're mostly reactive as opposed to proactive, especially in the smartphone/tablets sector) hence utlise cheaper materials / methods to manufacture their products. Same with automobiles for examples. I know many people whose HTCs and Samsungs fell to piece 12 months later and 'squeak' like old beds - potatoe / potatoe.

I simply feel the OP should consider all products available in that particular sector, that's all

Last edited:
Solid and heavy is not an illusion of better built, the differences are rather telling, imv - your dislike against the brand appears to be kicking in again. Korean / Asian manufacturers (much like with most of their products) need to compete on price more than anything (since they're mostly reactive as opposed to proactive, especially in the smartphone/tablets sector) hence utlise cheaper materials / methods to manufacture their products. Same with automobiles for examples. I know many people who HTCs and Samsungs fell to piece 12 months later and 'squeak' like old beds - potatoe / potatoe.

I simply feel the OP should consider all products availbale in that particular sector, that's all

I do too, but I have no dislike of any brand, I just know that having owned an s2 its as solidly built as anything else I've owned.

And that nonsense about Asian companies having to use poorer builds to compete on price? Go pick up the one x and tell me it's less solid than your 4s. And purely reactive? Yawn. At this point the list of features apple invented after someone else is too long to list. They're as bad at it (or good imo, as evolution breeds innovation) as everyone else in the industry.

Samsung use thinner materials because thin is a selling point. They also have the technology to make very robust and thin phones.

But that's not needed in a phone right? Just like you don't need higher processor speeds and multiple cores... Until apple do?

If an iPhone suits you its a great phone. It is not the Messiah however and plenty of other phone makers are doing very innovative things right now which suit certain people better, so putting people off any competitor - and it is any competitor, I've yet to see one positive, non-barbed comments about a non-apple phone from you -with ludicrous claims is very dull.

Typing this from my galaxy s3 and it is by far the best phone I've ever had and I've had most.

See myself having this phone for a very long time.

I do too, but I have no dislike of any brand, I just know that having owned an s2 its as solidly built as anything else I've owned.

And that nonsense about Asian companies having to use poorer builds to compete on price? Go pick up the one x and tell me it's less solid than your 4s. And purely reactive? Yawn. At this point the list of features apple invented after someone else is too long to list. They're as bad at it (or good imo, as evolution breeds innovation) as everyone else in the industry.

Samsung use thinner materials because thin is a selling point. They also have the technology to make very robust and thin phones.

But that's not needed in a phone right? Just like you don't need higher processor speeds and multiple cores... Until apple do?

If an iPhone suits you its a great phone. It is not the Messiah however and plenty of other phone makers are doing very innovative things right now which suit certain people better, so putting people off any competitor - and it is any competitor, I've yet to see one positive, non-barbed comments about a non-apple phone from you -with ludicrous claims is very dull.

Never claimed it was the messiah. I advised the OP to consider waiting a few months for other products to release their updates (I see someone else also mentioned the Windows phone) - how is that putting him off? The built quality comment is my personal observation over the last few years including the latest release - if you disagree with that - fair dos. I've had experience with many users who tend to feel the same - as you appear to have done so yourself on the other extreme. What now?

Of course they are reactive from a purely 'design' point of view as virtaully 95% of then blatantly assume the look and appearance of what re-defined the smart phone / touchscreen market. Whether Google have tweaked their OS to include cool little feature, that's another point - my comment was directed at the purely aesthetical / industrial design merit which for me forms a massive aspect of what I look for in a product.

Had a look at the latest offerings form Sony (no longer featuring Ericsson's name) couple of weeks ago and was mighty impressed - considerably cheaper than the iPhone and a solid package to match. Perhaps the OP can also look at the new top-end Xperia range - also running Android but with the added quality (?) of Sony.

Never claimed it was the messiah. I advised the OP to consider waiting a few months for other products to release their updates (I see someone else also mentioned the Windows phone) - how is that putting him off? The built quality comment is my personal observation over the last few years including the latest release - if you disagree with that - fair dos. I've had experience with many users who tend to feel the same - as you appear to have done so yourself on the other extreme. What now?

Of course they are reactive from a purely 'design' point of view as virtaully 95% of then blatantly assume the look and appearance of what re-defined the smart phone / touchscreen market. Whether Google have tweaked their OS to include cool little feature, that's another point - my comment was directed at the purely aesthetical / industrial design merit which for me forms a massive aspect of what I look for in a product.

Had a look at the latest offerings form Sony (no longer featuring Ericsson's name) couple of weeks ago and was mighty impressed - considerably cheaper than the iPhone and a solid package to match. Perhaps the OP can also look at the new top-end Xperia range - also running Android but with the added quality (?) of Sony.

Fair enough, that's the first positive thing I've heard you say about any other phone manufacturer. I like the xperia range but they're not as good as HTC or Samsungs offering at the same price point imo and the specs mean they're not future proofed as well.

Chances are that the next iPhone will be a big step up from the 4s and will probably match the s3 for specs with a 4" screen,so if you like the interface and ecosystem then it will be the right choice for you, but that won't be for a long while yet, and my main issue was with the build quality comment.

I never claimed my anecdotal evidence was enough to show that someone should or shouldn't look at a phone maker, just to dispute your blanket claim which was enough to put people off without any real evidence.

As for the design pov, I've said to you before that LG/Prada were the original designers of the 'black slate phone'. Everyone else after that were imitators / evolved on that design, including apple. Because of their insanely dominant market position and advertising machine that's been airbrushed out of history somehow though.

As for the design pov, I've said to you before that LG/Prada were the original designers of the 'black slate phone'. Everyone else after that were imitators / evolved on that design, including apple. Because of their insanely dominant market position and advertising machine that's been airbrushed out of history somehow though.

I think it all came down to the complete package (as with most of their products) or in other words - the 'presentation'. They found a winning market formula which worked and others naturally picked on that. Actually the biggest 'brain' behind most of this is an Englishman by the name of Jonathan Ive (who has been knighted recently, iirc)

Just got the HTC One X.

Still trying to find time to play around, but seems a big improvement over previous Desire in speed and screen brightness.

This will be my next one, just shopping around for prices as I am forced to buy it outright.

I have the S2, alot of friends have the S2 now, they, like I think its the best phone. Apple is too bulky for me.

I added a rubber case to mine, the feel of it is great, a rubber case to the 4s is horrid.

Will move to S4, as per contract runs out probably.

Back