• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mighty Spurs vs Everton

Not really, Skipp’s role in the 6 is to get the ball of the centre backs and get us going.

He struggled to do that for most of the game. No shame on him its just a role he appears to not be suited to.

Only Bentancur and Bissouma appear capable of doing it well which leaves us in a real pickle as they are both out medium term.

Interesting. I was watching Skipp and when we had the ball with our back two, Everton clearly wanted to press them both but Skipp kept one of the two Everton pressers occupied. Basically, the Everton player either had to press Davies, in which case Skipp would be free to receive the ball, or stick with Skipp; most of the time, the decision was to stick with Skipp.
Skipp may have had the odd misplaced pass - who didn't? - but I don't recall him dribbling and then losing possession in dangerous parts of the pitch as Bissouma is won't to do. I do remember him sprinting 60 yards at the death to block off an easy sideways pass in the box for Danjouma when Danjouma was one-on-one with Dier in the box.
I was even thinking that maybe it would be not so bad Skipp starting instead of Bissouma. That's likely a minority viewpoint and I also thought PEH had a decent game, so clearly I am no judge ;)

Interesting. I was watching Skipp and when we had the ball with our back two, Everton clearly wanted to press them both but Skipp kept one of the two Everton pressers occupied. Basically, the Everton player either had to press Davies, in which case Skipp would be free to receive the ball, or stick with Skipp; most of the time, the decision was to stick with Skipp.
Skipp may have had the odd misplaced pass - who didn't? - but I don't recall him dribbling and then losing possession in dangerous parts of the pitch as Bissouma is won't to do. I do remember him sprinting 60 yards at the death to block off an easy sideways pass in the box for Danjouma when Danjouma was one-on-one with Dier in the box.
I was even thinking that maybe it would be not so bad Skipp starting instead of Bissouma. That's likely a minority viewpoint and I also thought PEH had a decent game, so clearly I am no judge ;)
I’m with you
Someone moaned straight away that he went sideways (in the ground)
He went sideways to Porro.. which lead to the first goal (Not because of his pass)
His job was to keep the ball moving which keeps the tempo high. He did that. It wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t reckless either
When Pierre came on the roles were switched a little and it didn’t really work, but there were other changes too

Yea I’ve no idea why Skipp’s getting so much hate, I reckon those posters had made up their mind before the match had even started. He was “ok”, certainly far from one of our worst performers.

We ended the game with a central defence consisting of our third - maybe even fourth - choice centre back and a left back. A right back at left back. Our fifth, sixth and seventh choice CM as our midfield trio.

That considered, this was an amazing win.

With all the bad luck we've had with injuries this season, we so, so thoroughly deserved that lucky break at the very end.

I agree we had 4 kids and a keeper on the bench and the subs we used were players many see as surplus to requirement, what do people expect? Under our previous managers we would have lost. How long will it take the experts, pundits and fans realise this Spurs side attack and will give their opponents a chance to attack better to out score the other team than try to concede less than them.

Not sure why spurs have started doing this but after the Saudi Sportswashing Machine and game yesterday the 2 bars either side of the East Stand Bar have been shut meaning massive queues to get a drink and nowhere to get more food

We decided to go to the Corner Pin to find that shut !!

So went to Number 8 Spurs Bar (old Bell & Hare), the place was massive with lots of decent areas but the prices were a fudging rip off, £8 for a pint, £8 for a single and £6 for a shot, literally ripping off fans big time

Was speaking to a Kiwi and an Aussie for a good hour, they both live in the UK but was interesting to hear their stories of why Spurs etc
https://beavertownbrewery.co.uk/pages/venues

Yea I’ve no idea why Skipp’s getting so much hate, I reckon those posters had made up their mind before the match had even started. He was “ok”, certainly far from one of our worst performers.

My thoughts as well, he had a good game but it seems he is yet ( another) player that some fans have decided he is not good enough. Can he be uprated? of course he can but we could say that about a few of our players.

Porro and Royal aren’t in advanced positions because Skipp, PEH, Dier and Davies are on the pitch. They’re going all out for a third when we’re really struggling at 2-1 because that’s what they’re being instructed to do.

The Wolves game we never took any control of and again, at 1-1 and with momentum against us, Emerson dallies on the ball looking to be creative when a streetwise team play the match out and take their point.

There were a number of games under Conte particularly (and no, I’m not yearning for his return) where we’d get the ball in the corner and Kane would draw a foul or we’d just brickhouse to run down the clock. Ange will not allow that (see Sheffield United game and Bissouma) and it’ll cost us.

I want to be clear on this again because sometimes people will take the above and assume I’m anti-Ange. What he’s done here so far is phenomenal, the football is so much better and the stadium is such a better place to be these days. But we’ll be like Keegan’s Saudi Sportswashing Machine under Ange.

I disagree wholeheartedly!

I disagree wholeheartedly!
I'm with you Steff.

There is room for our style of play in the Premier league and with a manager who is capable of getting so much more out of the team than the sum of the parts, it will only get better.

There's going to be those saying "teams will work us out" and I'm sure that the master tactician out there will come up with some ways of fighting our approach. The problem for them is that they are only usually going to find solutions to enable them to score, not to stop us scoring. Which isn't much use to them if we are 3 up by the half hour mark, which is what Ange wants.

To compare keegan with Ange is like comparing Christian Gross with Guardiola. Keegan was emotional, largely free of tactics and was in charge at a time when players smoked a fag at half time. Ange has a method, to overwhelm the opposition and that method when we have the full complement of players in a couple of windows is going to be extremely hard to contain. Yes we will win 5 2 or 6 4 on occasions, but we won't lose very often.

I didn't think the 2nd half was that bad. A bit helter skelter, which is probably not how you want to play when you are 2-0 up. But something the stats won't reflect is that we had several opportunities in the second half to score 2-3 more had we been just a bit more careful with the final pass. Had we scored just one more, which was very doable, everyone would be drooling about an Ange masterclass.

I, for one, like this approach. We have our second string defense out there, so we're better off focusing on what we do best, i.e. creating chances to score to put the game out of reach, rather than defending a lead.

I didn't think the 2nd half was that bad. A bit helter skelter, which is probably not how you want to play when you are 2-0 up. But something the stats won't reflect is that we had several opportunities in the second half to score 2-3 more had we been just a bit more careful with the final pass. Had we scored just one more, which was very doable, everyone would be drooling about an Ange masterclass.

I, for one, like this approach. We have our second string defense out there, so we're better off focusing on what we do best, i.e. creating chances to score to put the game out of reach, rather than defending a lead.
Agreed. And when we then don't take our chances they will sometimes score one and it becomes really nervy.

I think there's a need for a bit more caution towards the end. They essentially had a 3 on 2 break and a couple of other real chances when we pushed a lot of players forward.

We haven't seen that as much with a stronger 11. Not only were we lacking a lot of first choice players, but some of the squad options playing haven't been in this situation that much.

We would have looked much more solid with our strongest 11. And the overall approach is very sound.

Agreed. And when we then don't take our chances they will sometimes score one and it becomes really nervy.

I think there's a need for a bit more caution towards the end. They essentially had a 3 on 2 break and a couple of other real chances when we pushed a lot of players forward.

We haven't seen that as much with a stronger 11. Not only were we lacking a lot of first choice players, but some of the squad options playing haven't been in this situation that much.

We would have looked much more solid with our strongest 11. And the overall approach is very sound.
Some of their 3 on 2 breaks were the result of us not taking advantage of our 3 on 2, or 4 on 3 breaks. Attacking teams that are trying to get back in the game is not what they would expect, which should allow us to create high quality chances. You score one and it completely demoralizes the opposition. It's game over and you don't need to be hanging on by your fingernails to get a result. It's seems like a bold approach, but I'm willing to bet the percentages are probably as favorable, if not more favorable, as retreating to preserve a result. Especially if you're better at attacking than defending.

How close we were to dropping points, reinforced our need to bolster our attack. That was the clear take away for me.

Postecoglou didn’t have anyone to bring on to reenergise our attack. Our forwards seemed tired after half an hour. And that wouldn’t be surprising after the games they have played, and how much we rely on them pressing.

We were also compromised by 3 of our backline being makeshift. Royal did well, was excellent, be he’s not running into the box like Udogie is asked to. Then with Dier and Davies we’re on the back foot concerned about playing a high line. Which isn’t true to Anges spirit and setup.

Back