• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mighty Spurs vs Everton

Let’s see. I know I’m going hard and I’m actually pro-Ange overall and am enjoying watching us. I just can’t believe some of the stuff I’m seeing.

I agree with you.

He’s doing great, we don’t need to change by much, just need a bit more pragmatism when we don’t need another goal.

People say it’s working, but we are conceding too many goals, I think we only have 5 clean sheets so far.

He’s never managed at this level before. I get the argument but the better the quality of opposition, the higher the likelihood is that you’re punished for less. And we’re too open.
I wasn't one of those getting all giddy with excitement talking about title challenges, but I do think you're a little wide of the mark here Deano.

Facts are before VDV got injured Vicario had kept as many clean sheets as any keeper, and we haven't been outplayed by any of the big boys whether that be with our first team or backups we've had to use since our injury and suspension nightmare.

Put simply, it's our squad depth and lack of quality replacements in key areas that will hinder us from winning trophies - not Anges style of play....

I agree with you.

He’s doing great, we don’t need to change by much, just need a bit more pragmatism when we don’t need another goal.

People say it’s working, but we are conceding too many goals, I think we only have 5 clean sheets so far.

I don't think anyone is keeping many clean sheets this season.

But we keep having to make changes at the back, and VDV and Udogie are in their first season.

We will still give up chances, but I do think we will concede less when we can get back to full strength (and some better cover) and they get a run of games

I wasn't one of those getting all giddy with excitement talking about title challenges, but I do think you're a little wide of the mark here Deano.

Facts are before VDV got injured Vicario had kept as many clean sheets as any keeper, and we haven't been outplayed by any of the big boys whether that be with our first team or backups we've had to use since our injury and suspension nightmare.

Put simply, it's our squad depth and lack of quality replacements in key areas that will hinder us from winning trophies - not Anges style of play....
Let’s see. I don’t believe in sitting on the fence and maybe I’ll be proven wrong.

The game management today was shocking. Some of that had nothing to do with injuries or suspensions. That’s instruction from the manager.

Bigger picture, we’ve lost 16 points from winning positions. We’ve conceded 7 injury time goals according to the commentator today. A lot of absences are down to avoidable suspensions and we’re bottom of the fair play league. There’s a pattern of poor game management and poor discipline. When the pressure really comes on, that sort of stuff can be fatal.

Let’s see. I’d be delighted to be wrong.

We were missing five (and a half, if you include Romero) high quality players who would all start in ideal circumstances.
We have to scrap through until the end of Jan when signings will have been made, the Afcon and Asian Games are over, and our injuries return.
However, we are in the unique position of having a guy in charge who wants us to play through such challenges with an attacking style.

We have a gap between us and the sides below now so, hopefully, the second half of the season can be much better

I don't think anyone is keeping many clean sheets this season.

But we keep having to make changes at the back, and VDV and Udogie are in their first season.

We will still give up chances, but I do think we will concede less when we can get back to full strength (and some better cover) and they get a run of games

True, but everyone else in the league is brick, not a useful barometer.

Yes we’ve had injuries, but we don’t have to play the same system every game, nothing wrong with adjusting the playbook to the available players.

You can’t have one way of playing anymore, the game is too advanced, we need more savvy.

We lacked precision after about 25 mins. Passing and movement slipped, partly though fatigue. Once we lose our composure the whole machine stops working. Still a great performance though. Dier came in and did well. One poor pass, but plenty more good interceptions. Royal was fresh and played well. Vicario the most subtle and crucial of saves cushioning the ball off of his knee with only milimeters to spare, the shadow of the ball almost over the line.

We were excellent for 25 mins. But sorely need reinforcements up front. We try to play a high press, and we need plenty of fit forwards to close down. The problem today imo was not having enough energy, belief and finishing power as the forwards tired. We could do with more up top - whether players returning (Maddison), young players maturing (Johnson, Gil, even Kulu, Solomon) or signing more quality. I personally think we need another striker as we only really have Richarlison and he doesn't look fully fit. Ecstatic for him getting back amongst the goals. He's not a brilliant forward but is better than he was showing for us.

Last edited:
True, but everyone else in the league is brick, not a useful barometer.

Yes we’ve had injuries, but we don’t have to play the same system every game, nothing wrong with adjusting the playbook to the available players.

You can’t have one way of playing anymore, the game is too advanced, we need more savvy.

I hope we can get a few variations or other options to play, but I also think sticking with plan A so everyone learns is isn't a bad thing at the moment.

If we had to keep adjusting for every injury or suspension, we would be on plan z by now.

I agree with you.

This is where most are I imagine

I'm more sure Ange would have been overly happy if they scored when everyone pushed forward in the 96th minute.

What we saw today wasn't Angeball (not his fault) anyway, so why not kill the game out in the corner.

We were missing five (and a half, if you include Romero) high quality players who would all start in ideal circumstances.
We have to scrap through until the end of Jan when signings will have been made, the Afcon and Asian Games are over, and our injuries return.
However, we are in the unique position of having a guy in charge who wants us to play through such challenges with an attacking style.

We have a gap between us and the sides below now so, hopefully, the second half of the season can be much better
It really is baffling how this is just being brushed aside by our own fans. Yet probably the same ones making excuses for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and why we beat them so easily.

Today weren’t great by any stretch but we won vs a team high in confidence on a great run of form with something like half our first XI out and a fair few squad options out.

It’s amazing we’re where we are and generally bettering all our opponents bar today (we still had loads of opportunities to put it to bed even though we didn’t control the game).

It really is baffling how this is just being brushed aside by our own fans. Yet probably the same ones making excuses for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and why we beat them so easily.

Today weren’t great by any stretch but we won vs a team high in confidence on a great run of form with something like half our first XI out and a fair few squad options out.

It’s amazing we’re where we are and generally bettering all our opponents bar today (we still had loads of opportunities to put it to bed even though we didn’t control the game).
I’ve probably been more critical than most today but I wouldn’t brush the injuries or suspensions aside. We were missing some top players today and of course they make a difference. But I still see fundamental issues with our approach that will still be there when everyone is fit.

We're properly fooked in January then, with Son, Biss (and Sarr?) going away with their national teams.

We’ll see how it goes and who plays, but we’ve got a tune out of Dier/Skipp/Hojbjerg/Royal/GLC before.

Other teams will be losing players for the regional international nonsense too.

Well, the first-rate start to the Thread contributed to a delightful 25 minutes, but the horrendous lack of follow up with custard, Benny Hill, Tom Jones etc must have weighed heavy on the players, as the rest of the game wasn't great. Having said that we were a whisker away with a couple of fantastic balls across the box, but overall maybe we got a tad lucky....then again it's all about the points (and the pints of course), so let's enjoy looking at the table, and enjoy Manure's continuing misery. Happy Christmas to one and all.

Let’s see. I don’t believe in sitting on the fence and maybe I’ll be proven wrong.

The game management today was shocking. Some of that had nothing to do with injuries or suspensions. That’s instruction from the manager.

Bigger picture, we’ve lost 16 points from winning positions. We’ve conceded 7 injury time goals according to the commentator today. A lot of absences are down to avoidable suspensions and we’re bottom of the fair play league. There’s a pattern of poor game management and poor discipline. When the pressure really comes on, that sort of stuff can be fatal.

Let’s see. I’d be delighted to be wrong.
Agree regarding poor discipline and I hope that's something Ange can alter over time. The losing x amount of points from winning positions thing, the only reason we would have been leading in a lot of those games in the first place is because of the front foot football that we are playing - and considering our results to date practically at the halfway stage of the season and only a handful of points off top despite our injuries, I think the results side of things is doing pretty well - there seems to be style with substance rather than trading off results to play a decent brand of football.

I dont think our defence is good enough to see games out regardless of the stye of play, so it makes more sense for us to try score goals and entertain. And once we do have a deeper squad I've seen no reason to suggest we can't challenge for things, but that will likely take another 2 or 3 windows....

Back