• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

Nevermind, you can't always know everything ;)

Quotes from both players/their agents freely available and i believe there are some from Poch too about how he showed them around the training ground etc

I have dealt with most of them in my previous post and gave detailed reasons. To deal with them in summary:

Moreno - chose to stay in Spain iirc

Actually went to PSV the very next year. However, he did get injured in the summer of 2014.

Mane and Wynaldum - chose Liverpool

Because of wages, which we didn't match. Mane wanted more in wages than we were willing to pay - it wasn't because he immediately chose Liverpool. He would have been happy to come here. Ditto WIjnaldum.

Schneiderlin - chose United

Not in 2014, he didn't. He put in a transfer request, and tried everything possible to force his move to us, even going as far as to publicly fall out with the club and owners and refuse to play. When it became clear that we wouldn't pay Soton what they wanted for him ,he buckled, reconciled with the club put in a fantastic season and left for United the next year.

Barkley - chose Chelsea

Again, not when we wanted him. He chose Chelsea half a year after we were interested in him.

Jay Rodriguez- wasn’t he badly injured?

Not in 2014. He was very, very good in Poch's system the previous year, and our direct equivalent at the time was Nacer Chadli - not as good.

Grealish - possible blame on Levy*

Right there.

Zaha - signed new contract at Palace and became ridiculously expensive

Not in 2016. He signed a contract a full year later, in 2017.

Berahinho - TTFFT !

Dunno what that means.

Edit: * and with today’s revelations, we may even have dodged a bullet here anyway!

The point, is that Liverpool could blow us out the water with regards to wages which is largely why we missed out on them both and is an example of what we were up against at the time.

Liverpool had finished 8th the season prior, us 3rd fwiw
That is a good point really. The sort of players that would improve us were likely to be £80k+ a week players. Mane went to Liverpool on £90k a week. It’s another reason why not signing Grealish was so stupid as his wages were easily affordable.

That is a good point really. The sort of players that would improve us were likely to be £80k+ a week players. Mane went to Liverpool on £90k a week. It’s another reason why not signing Grealish was so stupid as his wages were easily affordable.

We had to start from a lower base, improve the team with half the amount of transfer money available to our rivals and any player that wanted more than 80k was considered so expensive it would fudge our wage structure up.

Piece of tinkle

We had to start from a lower base, improve the team with half the amount of transfer money available to our rivals and any player that wanted more than 80k was considered so expensive it would fudge our wage structure up.

Piece of tinkle
Mane was rumoured to be signin for pool on over £100k
Which was more than Kane at the time

Mane was rumoured to be signin for pool on over £100k
Which was more than Kane at the time
When he signed his extension there the stories said that his previous deal was £90k. Typically agents bump up the numbers when they leak to the press as well (I.e. include all potential bonuses) as it makes them look better in other players’ eyes.

When he signed his extension there the stories said that his previous deal was £90k. Typically agents bump up the numbers when they leak to the press as well (I.e. include all potential bonuses) as it makes them look better in other players’ eyes.
I had articles long before his extension saying a higher figure than that
I posted them on here
It was something like £110k a week
And his new deal is now over £150k a week
Pools wages are £100m more than ours aren’t they and gag would equate to a lot of extra per week

It’s called having a squad.... not sure if you’ve noticed how many injuries we always seem to get?

I was asking specifically about Winaldum. Of course we needed a squad to be built. Our strategy should have been to buy young English players under the radar, mixed with one or two “special” players who we weren’t going to be competing with the big four . It was the job of our head of recruitment to identify these under the radar players. The ones they did were rubbish and the “special players” - Sanchez, Sissoko and Moura really weren’t so special.

I was asking specifically about Winaldum. Of course we needed a squad to be built. Our strategy should have been to buy young English players under the radar, mixed with one or two “special” players who we weren’t going to be competing with the big four . It was the job of our head of recruitment to identify these under the radar players. The ones they did were rubbish and the “special players” - Sanchez, Sissoko and Moura really weren’t so special.
Oh Winaldum was the first choice target for the spot that Sissoko eventually filled.

Young, English, under the radar players.... like Grealish you mean?

Who was "the Head of Recruitment"?
Oh Winaldum was the first choice target for the spot that Sissoko eventually filled.

Young, English, under the radar players.... like Grealish you mean?

I am waiting to see the answer...I'll bet I know what it is.

and lets face it, other than Mane, none of them have done anything, so we've hardly missed out, a couple of them are definite bullets dodged
And Mane wouldn't get away with all the diving, handballs and elbows if he played for Spurs so he'd be fairly ineffective too.

Wilnaldum has been class to
So under rated
Meh.

DyVNSuxW0AEnEkY

English is just another term for overpriced.

Grealish wasn't under the radar, that's why he was massively overpriced.

Yes he was but Levy had agreed a fair price and we would have got him for the agreed price IF the new owner had not put a block on it as a condition presale, and then once he had got the club refused to sell him.

Back