• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I think I am learning that here, there are two different approaches. One involves a very clear business-trained, efficient and very stat/observation minded approach as you might have if you owned a company in the business of producing goods. Numbers don’t lie in such fields, and usually, business in this frame makes the decision to do whatever is necessary to raise the margins even if that means compromising the quality of life for the workforce.

The other involves a more holistic and contextual approach whereby stats and productivity are analyses through the prism of this specific “industry” not being one of tangible production but of human production...which has variables that often appear inconsistently.

This is not a comment on whether one is right or wrong, it is a genuine attempt to answer your questions.

I think believing in empathy or not in our situation will go a long way to defining what action you think the club should take.
People are resources just as much as widgets are. No need to be soft just because they're made of meat.

have no idea why this continues to be ignored, when it is the key point.

Because it’s quite ludicrous to be in that position.

If the players are showing no want to put in effort why do we want to keep them sweet in case we need them when they have already shown they are not bothered.

We have youth players if need be and a manager who is supposedly brilliant with improving young players.

I have to say in business terms you wouldn’t ignore your best year when reporting results to make your worst years look better (or worse). But you could argue under lying factors having impacts (in retail world cups have a BUG impact for example which is strangely true in football terms)

the only way I think you could annals Pochs seasons accurately would be to do a points analysis by final league position of the teams we played. So in a certain year, how many points did we get vs the team that finished 20th for example, and compare that over the seasons. That way it factors in how competitive that season was, rather than just a points total

I have to say in business terms you wouldn’t ignore your best year when reporting results to make your worst years look better (or worse). But you could argue under lying factors having impacts (in retail world cups have a BUG impact for example which is strangely true in football terms)

the only way I think you could annals Pochs seasons accurately would be to do a points analysis by final league position of the teams we played. So in a certain year, how many points did we get vs the team that finished 20th for example, and compare that over the seasons. That way it factors in how competitive that season was, rather than just a points total
T = points scored by top team in the league
B = points scored by bottom team
S = points scored by Spurs

F (points factor) = S/(T-B)

That way, it includes our proportion of the top points scored as that's an important measure of how much we fought towards a title. It also factors in how competitive (narrow) the season was.

This will probably make a lot less sense once the wine wears off.

Bedford are you Scottish? :D

I wouldn't say it is an easy task but yet it is one he has to deal with. He isn't the first manager to be put in such difficult circumstances and as unfair as it might seem he has to just get on with the job. Based on what he has done so far, I think it would have been better to have just treated this season like any other and play his previously key men as usual. He hasn't done this and instead we are in a bit of a no mans land with regards who does or doesn't start.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

I think this is a fair appraisal, yes. He has been trying to push on for some time, but regardless, as you point out, we are where we are and he isn't the first. I suppose now it becomes who wants what.

An interesting conundrum for some would be if we bin off the season Cl-wise, finish 7th or 8th but win the FA Cup. How would people feel about that? I, of course, still think we can win the CL but I am hopeless in that regard hahahahahaha...

Because it’s quite ludicrous to be in that position.

If the players are showing no want to put in effort why do we want to keep them sweet in case we need them when they have already shown they are not bothered.

We have youth players if need be and a manager who is supposedly brilliant with improving young players.

Hahahahaha, it really is that easy isn't it!!!!!!!! Sending you Daniel's number shortly...

Looks like the Tottenham have briefed the papers tonight and thet put this story at the same time

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...no-holds-crisis-talks-daniel-levy-tottenhams/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-Pochettino-just-matter-leaves-Tottenham.html

Why? They are trying to see how fans will reaction now to sacking Poch. If this story goes down badly he'll get more time.

One source said: “Unless things improve dramatically then it is impossible to see Pochettino staying at Tottenham for the entire season. Losing at West Ham would be a disaster for them.

“Levy would prefer not to sack him, not only because of the money but also because of what he has achieved at Tottenham. But Pochettino has made it look like that is what he might prefer.”

Another source compared the situation at Tottenham to what happened at Borussia Dortmund, when Jurgen Klopp asked to be released from his contract, although the German did see out the 2014/15 season.

My guess:
- Levy and Poch and maybe third parties are talking about the financials if he were to go;
- The players know we’re in end game;
- The club are signaling not inevitably Mourinho to follow (see Nagelsmann story in Times) - possible they’re signaling this to Mourinho too (ahead of any talks, conscious of his likely demands);
- Defeat to Hammers and Poch gone.

Sorry, Pochettino's Spurs career does not rest on whether we beat Wet Spam. That would make literally no sense whatsoever. First game after an international break? Not a hope IMO.

There absolutely would have to be a plan in place. It'd be stupid not to. But I think the only way he goes in the New Year is if we are fighting relegation. Which we won't be.

Sorry, Pochettino's Spurs career does not rest on whether we beat Wet Spam. That would make literally no sense whatsoever. First game after an international break? Not a hope IMO.

There absolutely would have to be a plan in place. It'd be stupid not to. But I think the only way he goes in the New Year is if we are fighting relegation. Which we won't be.

So you think there’s no way he goes? Ok - we’ll see. You may be right. But this feels to me like the kind of media storm that brews before a manager’s last chance. Not saying that’s right or wrong - just trying to look at it dispassionately to get a better read on it.

So you think there’s no way he goes? Ok - we’ll see. You may be right. But this feels to me like the kind of media storm that brews before a manager’s last chance. Not saying that’s right or wrong - just trying to look at it dispassionately to get a better read on it.

I would be flabbergasted if his job hangs on one match. It would make no sense. Unless he flat-out quit (and again I cannot believe he will) I don’t think so.

Remember, for two seasons the media has been trying to separate us from Poch, and last winter some here were 100% convinced he was off to Man U...we shall see mate...but I don’t think so!

As for the "crisis meetings" with Levy, I'd certainly hope the two are meeting, from my hope and perspective to address what we can do in January to continue regenerating this squad as we try to also get on with the season.

Last edited:
I would be flabbergasted if his job hangs on one match. It would make no sense. Unless he flat-out quit (and again I cannot believe he will) I don’t think so.

Remember, for two seasons the media has been trying to separate us from Poch, and last winter some here were 400% convinced he was off to Man U...we shall see mate...but I don’t think so!

As for the "crisis meetings" with Levy, I'd certainly hope the two are meeting, from my hope and perspective to address what we can do in January to continue regenerating this squad as we try to also get on with the season.
At some point, eventually it has to hang on one match. There will always be the last match in any manager's career.

Just because Wet Spam may or may not be the final straw, this is something that will have been brewing for a while.

One source said: “Unless things improve dramatically then it is impossible to see Pochettino staying at Tottenham for the entire season. Losing at West Ham would be a disaster for them.

“Levy would prefer not to sack him, not only because of the money but also because of what he has achieved at Tottenham. But Pochettino has made it look like that is what he might prefer.”

Another source compared the situation at Tottenham to what happened at Borussia Dortmund, when Jurgen Klopp asked to be released from his contract, although the German did see out the 2014/15 season.

"Sources" ... "We understand" ... fudging gonad*s.

Telegraph article is brilliant, people who haven't been at the club (players) are speculating on what's being reported (by the papers) and the telegraph are now adding those two together to get an article.
Amazing.

Back