• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

He was only a hero on the pitch was old edward have met him many times as i used to pay football on occasion with his son back when I was younger.

He was a prick then even in a spurs shirt. Didn't have the time of day for his so called fans, would ask them to get away from his car, look the other way, and even give people that arrogant look like he could do something about "it".

If i was to see him now id wind him right up and goad him into showing himself to be the clam that I've met. fudging snake

Mate of mine at work who was at school with him says he's always been the same. Real shame; he was always one of my favourite players. Guess that's why they say you should never meet your heroes.

On the other hand, anyone who imagines Poch reading that and going, "Wow, Teddy Sheringham says I need to go to Man U. Better get the bags packed then," please raise your hand.

Bad Poch for me today. Wolves made changes and it was game over.

Need to change the shape at 60 minutes we looked to narrow. You don’t want Eriksen tracking the wing back constantly.

Players were poor second half to. Atmosphere was atrocious to. Draw a line under that go again Tuesday

Skipp for Winks would've been a good sub. Apart from that, we had few options on the bench for our tireing midfield. Maybe bringing on Foyth for Son, and changing the formation to a 5 - 3 - 2 could've made a difference - who knows. I'm just an armchair manager, so It's easy for me to say this and that, but it was obvious for everyone to see that today's bench was unbalanced. A fit Dier, Dembele or Wanyama would've made decisions easier for Poch.

After both playing the full 90 minutes today plus Boxing Day and Winks also playing the entirety of the Everton thrashing, will the same duo start in midfield yet again at Cardiff on Tuesday...

With the benefit of hindsight I guess it was a mistake. However, decisions on player fatigue are made in conjunction with data from Sports Scientists. Poch alluded to as much after the Everton game. Perhaps at times a bit of old fashioned instinct should trump science as players are not robots.

I think it was Bielsa who said if my players were robots I would win everything.

I agree though, terrible luck to lose Dembele, Wanyama and Dier at once.

Skipp for Winks would've been a good sub. Apart from that, we had few options on the bench for our tireing midfield. Maybe bringing on Foyth for Son, and changing the formation to a 5 - 3 - 2 could've made a difference - who knows. I'm just an armchair manager, so It's easy for me to say this and that, but it was obvious for everyone to see that today's bench was unbalanced. A fit Dier, Dembele or Wanyama would've made decisions easier for Poch.

Skipp was coming on had we cleared the corner that they equalised from. He was stripped and ready but sat back down once they scored. I also think Poch is wrong in saying we played well for 70 minutes. They had us under awful pressure for a good 10 minutes before they scored and also started the second half well. It was one of those days where we needed something from the sidelines early in the second half and didn't get it. Not sure what change he should have made at that point to turn the tide but it was clear we were struggling.

With the benefit of hindsight I guess it was a mistake. However, decisions on player fatigue are made in conjunction with data from Sports Scientists.
No "hindsight" needed mate - you don't exhaust Winks/Sissoko when there is only Skipp to cover, IF you plan to play them both again in the next game and the next game... poor judgement from Perez and Poch.

With the benefit of hindsight I guess it was a mistake. However, decisions on player fatigue are made in conjunction with data from Sports Scientists. Poch alluded to as much after the Everton game. Perhaps at times a bit of old fashioned instinct should trump science as players are not robots.

I think it was Bielsa who said if my players were robots I would win everything.

I agree though, terrible luck to lose Dembele, Wanyama and Dier at once.

People say this kind of stuff but it isn't unusual for some teams to drop off at the end of the season or at the end of games. Top flight teams who also have sports scientists and excellent nutritionists. There seems to very much be an appeal to authority when it comes to this matter on this board. I don't think most are saying with hindsight, many have been talking about it as we've gone on. How we ended up making just one sub in a game in which we were apparently knackered and in which we put in a truly appalling second half performance I have no idea.

I don't think Dembele and Wanyama injured are bad luck as much as they are totally expected, just as injures to Woody and King when we had them weren't bad luck either.

How we ended up making just one sub in a game in which we were apparently knackered and in which we put in a truly appalling second half performance I have no idea.

The only thing I can suggest is that Poch is managing the subs in a way that allows them to be rotated to play the next game.

Poch manages a squad with multiple injury prone players. It's not just Dembele and Wanyama but also Lamela, winks and Rose. There have also been long term injuries suffered by Verts and Toby. Yet somehow Poch gets us punching above our weight.

IMHO everything he does is highly considered. Do you not think if you and I ( I am assuming you are not a football manager here) can see a change is needed he can't? Yes occasionally he may get it wrong. But the fine tuning of our squad to wring out every last bit of quality means that even what seems like a small detail such as bringing on a player for a few minutes in a game, may adversely affect their energy levels in the next game.

Fans who criticise Poch's'lack of substitutions should compare Poch to a manager like Unai Emery who is much more proactive with his use of subs but is 7 points behind us in the table.

Knew this was going to be a tough game, not surprised at the defeat but disappointed in the manner of it.
We showed no intensity at all, so different from the games post gooner defeat.
Need to pick ourselves up and get on with it.
Never thought we would win the title but need to keep going for CL place.

You’re right but as a former Spurs ‘legend’ he shouldn’t be saying those things for a quick buck. There’s other ways of former players making money....
I agree.
He was happy enough to be invited along to the farewell at WHL, dressed as an ice cream man, taking Levy’s hospitality and the applause of the fans. Then stabs the club with comments like this.

I hope the arrogant clam is now off the invite list for the stadium opening.

A small tactical gripe which has been getting to me for a while now. Why when defending a corner do we put every single man back in our own box, many not even marking anyone. 9/10 we win the header out the box it goes and ....straight back to an opposition player?

The only thing I can suggest is that Poch is managing the subs in a way that allows them to be rotated to play the next game.

Poch manages a squad with multiple injury prone players. It's not just Dembele and Wanyama but also Lamela, winks and Rose. There have also been long term injuries suffered by Verts and Toby. Yet somehow Poch gets us punching above our weight.

IMHO everything he does is highly considered. Do you not think if you and I ( I am assuming you are not a football manager here) can see a change is needed he can't? Yes occasionally he may get it wrong. But the fine tuning of our squad to wring out every last bit of quality means that even what seems like a small detail such as bringing on a player for a few minutes in a game, may adversely affect their energy levels in the next game.

Fans who criticise Poch's'lack of substitutions should compare Poch to a manager like Unai Emery who is much more proactive with his use of subs but is 7 points behind us in the table.

I wish we didn't have quite so many injury prone players because we end up, at least once a season, in exactly this situation.

Again, with all due respect, this is arguing with respect to authority. The fact that Poch is clearly a more adept manager than me does not mean that he does not mistakes and that he is perfect. Nobody is perfect. Like I said, all managers at top clubs will have access to this kind of data. Can I, a mere mortal, or you, the same, criticise Mourinho? Am I a better manager than him? Then Emery? Than Klopp? Even than Wagner or Warnock? No, clearly not. But not all 20 of these managers are walking around making perfect decisions all the time. Look at how much criticism Mourinho got on this board for example. Yet this is a man who, by Poch's age, had won 2 Portuguese titles, a uefa cup, a champions league, 2 premier leagues, an fa Cup, 2 league cups, a serie A and was starting the season he'd win an unprecedented treble with Inter. Does that mean I can't think that him constantly talking down his players in public and downplaying man utds pedigree in Europe is right or good? No.

Emery is a manager in the first season of his new job, with the 6th best squad of the league and who hasn't done a bad job so far. It's probably as unfair to judge him on his first season, just as it was to say pochs work in his first would reflect his subsequent work. And similarly, emery has won a lot of trophies, including at seville, so again, by that logic, who are we to criticise him and the sports scientists he's worked with?

Back