• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Poch made a couple of errors today. Not starting Toby, not bringing him on when we went to a back 3, and not making earlier subs to deal with Arsenal's tactical changes and try and get the upper hand in the game.

However, he cannot legislate for all 4 of the back 4 playing so badly today, both with and without the ball. A proper performance from Vertonghen alone and we might have won this game, despite the rest of them being sh1t.

Poch needs a coach. I wonder if he has a mentor to act as a "critical friend".

No. He has a couple of devoted loyalists who follow him from job to job. He's the Theresa May of football management.

He once had a drink with Alex Ferguson IIRC. May have asked him for some advice on wine.

Yeah, perhaps that's a knee jerk too far. Stubborn, though. Very clothes-conscious. Believes in magic. Finds a phrase he likes and then uses it to death. I'm not completely backing down on the comparison.

You might yet convince me. What an awful day this has turned out to be.

So does Rodgers, although I admit winning the Scottish league is ever so slightly easier than picking up Bundeliga’s in the seasons when Bayern are not bothering.

Rodgers won a trophy in England at a club with a much smaller budget than klop has at Liverpool.
He's still cack mind you.

Horrendously poor today, tactics and subs-wise. Was out-thought by Emery, who proved to be far more proactive in his use of subs.

Has a weird, almost religious hatred of substitutions.

Still an utterly brilliant manager, who deserves better than we can provide.

All of these things can be true at the same time - and they are. @thfcsteff , you have to know that.

I can’t understand why he’s so blind to it, I was starting to think after Inter that the lesson had been learned, we’d comfortably closed out a couple of games whereas arseholes would usually be flapping in the last 10.

Then you get today, Son was obviously lagging early 2H and we have Moura on the bench who lives his life wanting to hurt Emery...

Aurier was having one of those games and we had KWP on the bench who has never been anything other than solid.

It’s so frustrating, if he got slightly better at this we’d be twice as good.

I can’t understand why he’s so blind to it, I was starting to think after Inter that the lesson had been learned, we’d comfortably closed out a couple of games whereas arseholes would usually be flapping in the last 10.

Then you get today, Son was obviously lagging early 2H and we have Moura on the bench who lives his life wanting to hurt Emery...

Aurier was having one of those games and we had KWP on the bench who has never been anything other than solid.

Agree with all of that

I do think dingdong emery had to do something and went all out brick or bust with his subs which if we had adjusted better could have back fired

But why he wasn’t making subs on 60 mins I’ll
Never know

So does Rodgers, although I admit winning the Scottish league is ever so slightly easier than picking up Bundeliga’s in the seasons when Bayern are not bothering.

That’s the most deluded thing I’ve read in quite a while and there’s lots to choose from on this forum. He had Bayern’s number for 2-3 years in every competition. I’m guessing if Liverpool signed Messi and Ronaldo you’d change your opinion of them overnight to think they’re as good as Sissoko.

The fact is Poch gets shown up frequently in these crunch games and seems adverse to making proactive subs. If we want to stay in the top 4 then he’s the man for us and will keep us there but we won’t amount to any more than that. I suppose we can stay on our high horse about doing it the right way and winning nothing rather than spending and winning trophies.

All easy in hindsight of course, but it confused me at the time when Poch changed to a back 3 but didn't bring Toby on. Bring Toby on for Aurier, who was dump. Put Toby in the middle of Foyth and Vert, to try and make up for their combined sh1tness today. Move Sissoko to rwb and leave Dier in midfield, with Eriksen and Dele. Son and Kane upfront. Then depending on how that pans out, sub Son for Moura in a straight swap or sub him for Winks to control midfield. Preferably, all before we go 4-2 down!

That’s the most deluded thing I’ve read in quite a while and there’s lots to choose from on this forum. He had Bayern’s number for 2-3 years in every competition. I’m guessing if Liverpool signed Messi and Ronaldo you’d change your opinion of them overnight to think they’re as good as Sissoko.

The fact is Poch gets shown up frequently in these crunch games and seems adverse to making proactive subs. If we want to stay in the top 4 then he’s the man for us and will keep us there but we won’t amount to any more than that. I suppose we can stay on our high horse about doing it the right way and winning nothing rather than spending and winning trophies.

You think if Messi and Ronaldo roll up on Merseyside I’m going to say they have improved as players?

Perhaps it was "analysis paralysis" because Poch, Miki and Jesus were talking a lot lot lot lot lot lot lot lot lot lot lot lot but not changing personnel.
Maybe they were shifting the diamond around or something.
But we were awful for the majority of the game, somehow porous yet not attacking, slow, just awful.

Did Poch get shown up last weekend?

Did Poch get shown up last weekend?

No he didn’t and that result counts but let’s not conveniently forget all the semi finals we’ve lost and our performances on the whole in the CL have not been good bar a handful of great results. The only semi final we have won was against league 1 opposition and even then we just about scraped through after two worldies from Eriksen. It’s the one area Poch needs to improve on if he is to be considered one of the best managers around.

Back