• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Real likely to be looking for a new manager very soon after being hammered by Barca today. Fingers crossed they go all in for someone other than Poch.

I read that one reason the fans want rid of Lepotegui is he's never won a trophy for any of the clubs he's managed. Only when managing at sub-full international level.

They're hardly going to risk getting their fingers burnt twice.:eek: :D

If Poch even has Kane in the squad against west ham in the league cup I think it will be the end for me in believing in Poch, hopefully he gives him Dier, Eriksen and Lloris the night off.

“The season so far?” said Mauricio Pochettino as he considered the question. “It’s strange because my feeling is the worst feeling I’ve had in the five years that I’ve been here. It’s the worst. But it’s the best start ever for the club in the Premier League. It’s strange, no?”

At the end of a week in which his side conceded a late equaliser against PSV Eindhoven after a moment of madness from his goalkeeper and captain, Hugo Lloris, the Tottenham manager could not help revealing his frustration. The failure to beat the Dutch champions means that, despite seven victories from nine Premier League matches, Pochettino’s hopes of emulating last season’s run to the last 16 of the Champions League had all but evaporated before the clocks went back.

Before the daunting task of facing Emirates Marketing Project at Wembley on Monday, it was intriguing to hear the former Argentina defender’s assessment of the campaign.

“I don’t know why, it is difficult to explain,” Pochettino said. “The circumstances, because many things happen; I am disappointed we are still waiting for the new stadium when the expectation was to be there at the beginning of the season. I don’t know, many things happened in the summer, many things that make myself not in my best mood or best humour. I know I always have a good relationship with you but my feeling is not the best feeling. I had better feelings in previous seasons.”

Pochettino laughed off suggestions he could replace Julen Lopetegui should the Real Madrid coach be sacked, so the Tottenham chairman, Daniel Levy, will not be feeling threatened just yet. Pochettino’s five-year contract signed in the summer was a firm commitment as Spurs prepared to move into the newly refurbished White Hart Lane, but the delayed opening until the new year coupled with a lack of investment in the summer transfer window has not helped raise the manager’s spirits.

He has overseen Tottenham’s transformation into serial qualifiers for the Champions League with limited resources in comparison with most of their rivals but finds them agonisingly short of truly competing at the top, mainly because of restrictions imposed on him by the stadium costs.

“The circumstance that happened in the last years, I think the club is not focused completely in winning titles or winning games,” Pochettino admitted. “We have a lot of focus and you know very well when you are competing with sides, like we are in Champions League and Premier League, the most important thing is to fight in the same conditions as others.

“But the club needs to be all focused in trying to win titles. Because today we need to fix other problems and different circumstances that happen that don’t help the team or the club to only be focused on winning titles. Sometimes people expect that we should be winning or we must win titles when the circumstances are not ideal. To go further, you know better than us.”

As he acknowledged, a new stadium is no guarantee of success – especially against the spending power of a team such as City.

“I don’t have the answer how we are going to act when we are going to move there. It is easy to see in the last few years how we act in front of the market, how we act in front of everything and how the other teams were acting. That is the difference. Everything is not perfect but we are in a circumstance and a project that is completely different to another club, at the moment. But maybe when we arrive at the new stadium maybe we will be in the same project, have the same resources as different teams like Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, United, Chelsea or Arsenal. The way we have been competing in the last few years, the frustration is massive because we have had less in every single aspect.”

Tottenham conceded seven goals against Pep Guardiola’s side last season in their two meetings and will be up against opponents who have spent around £360m more on transfers and three times as much on wages since 2015. No wonder it feels a bit like groundhog day for their manager.

If Poch even has Kane in the squad against west ham in the league cup I think it will be the end for me in believing in Poch, hopefully he gives him Dier, Eriksen and Lloris the night off.

I agree about leaving them out and playing as much of a different 11 as possible, however i'm not with you with the comment about end in believing in Poch

He sounds really, really glum. If that's part of a strategy to boost morale in the dressing room, it must be a fiendishly complex one. But it's more likely that he's genuinely tinkled off, and that can't be good for the team. I wonder whether part of what's eating at him is having been obliged to offer an olive branch to Toby.

I always think he is just being honest, not much to see other than what he says.

Right now, things are going well, but there is so much going on around the club, so many distractions, he isnt exactly happy with the situation.

While recognising it will change, and then we can all get back to focusing on the team.

I always think he is just being honest, not much to see other than what he says.

Right now, things are going well, but there is so much going on around the club, so many distractions, he isnt exactly happy with the situation.

While recognising it will change, and then we can all get back to focusing on the team.

What about the bit where he questions whether the club is interested in winning titles? That was quite damning imo

The main thrust was about focus on the team, and it being lacking. Which of course, right now, isnt really a surprise.

People do like to read into these things to the degree of winding themselves up with worry though

Poch has history of going if he thinks the 'project' is not what he feels is right....sometimes you just have to look at what is in front of you; he had NO need to come up with those quotes, just like he didn't have to sign that contract extension in the summer; over to Levy now...

He has? Since when?

Just as I said in the first place, he is simply being honest. As ever, context for the comments are lacking - we never see the question, only the answer. If the question was leading, as they often are, his answer reads really negative when it isnt necessarily the case.

He did sign a contract in the summer, a good point - taken at face value it would suggest he had enough faith in what we are doing to commit to a further 5 years. I doubt the last 6 months will have come as any surprise to him or actually changed that view.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, if anyone thinks he isn’t tinkled with the summer window, you’re drinking too much of the Spurs-juice. And not tinkled in a “well that’s just reality” way, he’s tinkled in a “I’m being asked to work miracles here. This isnt a level playing field” kind of way.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, if anyone thinks he isn’t tinkled with the summer window, you’re drinking too much of the Spurs-juice. And not tinkled in a “well that’s just reality” way, he’s tinkled in a “I’m being asked to work miracles here. This isnt a level playing field” kind of way.

Of course he's tinkled at what happened, doesn't mean he blames the club or levy.
Sometimes things conspire against you, and I'd say fate has definitely worked against us the last few months.

He sounds really, really glum. If that's part of a strategy to boost morale in the dressing room, it must be a fiendishly complex one. But it's more likely that he's genuinely tinkled off, and that can't be good for the team. I wonder whether part of what's eating at him is having been obliged to offer an olive branch to Toby.

I have been in my opinion a very level fan on Spurs, backed Levy and Poch to the ends of the earth and back if anyone cares to look back, however I said in pre season I felt Poch seemed glum and all not well and got panned. I maintain that and the club not concentrating on winning titles is not a comment you make unless you want to make a point, because the fans firstly don't want to hear it because there is a difference between not being good enough to and not concentrating on especially when previous comments contradict that. It also smack of the ship not sailing in the same direction, no manager wants to manage a club that isnt concentrating on the same goals and would assume Poch's is to win titles.

In fact, is there any comeback from Poch saying openly "the club doesn't seem interested in winning titles"??

Maybe he has signed his death-warrant?:eek:

Of course he's tinkled at what happened, doesn't mean he blames the club or levy.
Sometimes things conspire against you, and I'd say fate has definitely worked against us the last few months.

He’s called the club out a couple of times now. And when you look at Arsenal when they built their stadium, they still invested in the team and were pretty strong already around that time. We are very guilty of thinking Spurs are some special case. We’re not.

Back