• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

What about when he says the "club does not seem interested in winning titles"?
I haven't actually watched the interview all the way through so that's a tough one to say.
If he really believed that I don't think he would still be here tbh.
As the from what I have seen the press aren't jumping all over that quote then there's little mileage in it.
If poch was happy with the ways things are at the moment I'd be more worried. Our league position is flattering us, we haven't hit our stride, injuries, Hugo dui, stadium delays, lack of fresh blood, if he was happy I'd be shocked.

Where does he say "the club doesn't seem interested in winning titles"?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tenham-hotspur-manchester-city-premier-league

“The circumstance that happened in the last years, I think the club is not focused completely in winning titles or winning games,” Pochettino admitted. “We have a lot of focus and you know very well when you are competing with sides, like we are in Champions League and Premier League, the most important thing is to fight in the same conditions as others.

“But the club needs to be all focused in trying to win titles. Because today we need to fix other problems and different circumstances that happen that don’t help the team or the club to only be focused on winning titles. Sometimes people expect that we should be winning or we must win titles when the circumstances are not ideal. To go further, you know better than us.”

As he acknowledged, a new stadium is no guarantee of success – especially against the spending power of a team such as City.

“I don’t have the answer how we are going to act when we are going to move there. It is easy to see in the last few years how we act in front of the market, how we act in front of everything and how the other teams were acting. That is the difference. Everything is not perfect but we are in a circumstance and a project that is completely different to another club, at the moment. But maybe when we arrive at the new stadium maybe we will be in the same project, have the same resources as different teams like Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, United, Chelsea or Arsenal. The way we have been competing in the last few years, the frustration is massive because we have had less in every single aspect.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tenham-hotspur-manchester-city-premier-league

“The circumstance that happened in the last years, I think the club is not focused completely in winning titles or winning games,” Pochettino admitted. “We have a lot of focus and you know very well when you are competing with sides, like we are in Champions League and Premier League, the most important thing is to fight in the same conditions as others.

“But the club needs to be all focused in trying to win titles. Because today we need to fix other problems and different circumstances that happen that don’t help the team or the club to only be focused on winning titles. Sometimes people expect that we should be winning or we must win titles when the circumstances are not ideal. To go further, you know better than us.”

As he acknowledged, a new stadium is no guarantee of success – especially against the spending power of a team such as City.

“I don’t have the answer how we are going to act when we are going to move there. It is easy to see in the last few years how we act in front of the market, how we act in front of everything and how the other teams were acting. That is the difference. Everything is not perfect but we are in a circumstance and a project that is completely different to another club, at the moment. But maybe when we arrive at the new stadium maybe we will be in the same project, have the same resources as different teams like Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, United, Chelsea or Arsenal. The way we have been competing in the last few years, the frustration is massive because we have had less in every single aspect.”

Thanks.
So nowhere does Poch say "the club doesn't seem interested in winning titles".

I haven't actually watched the interview all the way through so that's a tough one to say.
If he really believed that I don't think he would still be here tbh.
As the from what I have seen the press aren't jumping all over that quote then there's little mileage in it.
If poch was happy with the ways things are at the moment I'd be more worried. Our league position is flattering us, we haven't hit our stride, injuries, Hugo dui, stadium delays, lack of fresh blood, if he was happy I'd be shocked.

See above post; I think he believed club were ambitious, hence him signing the contract extension that he didn't need to do seeing he had 3 years left anyway.

Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if Levy promised him funds but Levy being Levy he even Levy'd his own manager, who is the best one he has ever had - or could ever get given how Levy/Spurs operate..

Having a net spend of 0 and being interested in winning titles doesn't really go hand in hand.I am quite peeved off that ross barkley slipped through the net.I don't for one moment belive that it was poch's decision not to go through with it.

Thanks.
So nowhere does Poch say "the club doesn't seem interested in winning titles".

If you read the full article and the previous paragraph: “I don’t know why, it is difficult to explain,” Pochettino said. “The circumstances, because many things happen; I am disappointed we are still waiting for the new stadium when the expectation was to be there at the beginning of the season. I don’t know, many things happened in the summer, many things that make myself not in my best mood or best humour. I know I always have a good relationship with you but my feeling is not the best feeling. I had better feelings in previous seasons.”

I think it's clear he doesn't believe the club have ambition to try and win trophies, hence the summer we had. He'd have a much more different tone if he thought we were trying and wouldn't say how 'down' he was about things.

He's often been a very good public defender of Levy and the club before..you could say this is the time they need his defence more than any other...BUT he isn't...

Let's be clear after the Pre-match press conference video posted above by @Kandi1977 Poch had ZERO need to follow it up with these quotes. If you honestly think it is him doing some random musings - giving all the other things he has said since the summer - then there really isn't much more to say but carry on thinking all is hunky-dory

Nobody is saying everything is hunky-dory.

Rather that its not like the sky is falling in either.

People seem to WANT to see as much negativity as they can in everything, see conspiracy and complaint, issues and inevitable loss.

Im really yet to see anything to make me think along those lines.

Im sure he has frustrations, Im sure he wanted players and progress, and Im sure he wants all focus on the team and winning.

Im also sure he knows our place in the foodchain, and knows the issues with the stadium - and, in fact - knows what a monumental undertaking the stadium is in the first place.

If he is still talking like this in a year when things have settled, yes - Ill start to worry.

As it is, right now? Not at all.

He wears his heart on his sleeve and when he's glum, he says so. It was probably a bad idea to let him learn English; so much better when he was enigmatic in press conferences. And it would definitely be helpful if he didn't talk to Ballague any more.

Is he about to throw his toys out of the pram and go to Madrid? Unlikely.

Can we expect long-term devotion to a project which would succeed perfectly well, on its own terms, if we bumped trophyless along between 3rd and 6th for the next decade? Probably not.

He's already our longest serving manager since Burkinshaw. A five year tenure is pretty surprising these days; only seven managers have been working in the EPL/EFL's four divisions for longer. All the odds are that he'll be off by 2020, just because that's what happens.

Nobody is saying everything is hunky-dory.

Rather that its not like the sky is falling in either.

People seem to WANT to see as much negativity as they can in everything, see conspiracy and complaint, issues and inevitable loss.

Im really yet to see anything to make me think along those lines.

Im sure he has frustrations, Im sure he wanted players and progress, and Im sure he wants all focus on the team and winning.

Im also sure he knows our place in the foodchain, and knows the issues with the stadium - and, in fact - knows what a monumental undertaking the stadium is in the first place.

If he is still talking like this in a year when things have settled, yes - Ill start to worry.

As it is, right now? Not at all.
Fair points but,its not what people want to see - Its what Poch himself has been saying. This subject is a thankless debate on here. No matter what Poch says many posters on here like to claim he means something else because they know him personally (via his autobiography of course) and he is this super intelligent guy who spends every interview saying one thing and meaning another to play the media - unless he says something positive of course and then he meant exactly what he said. There is a select group of posters who refuse to acknowledge anything negative about Spurs and are insistent on putting a positive spin on everything, like a few seasons of being a top 4 team makes us immune to things going wrong at our club....

Fair points but,its not what people want to see - Its what Poch himself has been saying. This subject is a thankless debate on here. No matter what Poch says many posters on here like to claim he means something else because they know him personally (via his autobiography of course) and he is this super intelligent guy who spends every interview saying one thing and meaning another to play the media - unless he says something positive of course and then he meant exactly what he said. There is a select group of posters who refuse to acknowledge anything negative about Spurs and are insistent on putting a positive spin on everything, like a few seasons of being a top 4 team makes us immune to things going wrong at our club....

My general feeling with him is that theres no BS, he is pretty straight forward.

Also that people take him as absolutely literal, when it seems to me the intention is not as they like to read it.

Look at what he is saying - the club is focused on many things, other than the team, and he would prefer all focus was on the team and winning.

Well...duh? Of course he would prefer that. I assume he is also well aware of the benefits down the line of going through this period, and Im sure if you sat and chatted to him yourself he would have a balanced view on it. Yes, frustrated - also understanding.

I tend to defend the club on things like this, not because of CL or any nonsense like that, rather in balance to people that go way OTT on the other end of the scale.

There are a few faces on here that positively revel in any negativity, and seem to actively seek it out.

If someones right, they are right, I cant argue with that - most often though? I dont think they are right, more like they are a drama queen.

Just last week Poch was saying we had targets, we had money, but the deals couldnt be done. He seemed very calm and accepting of the situation. Funny how nobody took that and ran with it, isnt it?

Are you actually serious with this? I’m stunned ! It’s like I must have learnt a completely different language at school to some of you. Can you translate the below in to GG English for me, what does he really mean? Or are we conveniently ignoring these quotes?

“I think one thing is to make clear: all the coaching staff and managers always want to improve the squad -- sometimes signing players and sometimes adding players from the academy.

"Of course we are always trying to improve our squad, because football is dynamic. Every six months you need to do something to refresh and to wake up, or to change the dynamic in the dressing room.

"But if you cannot achieve what you need or want, then to sign because you need to make happy people or act like all the clubs, I think that's not common sense. We showed that we don't care and we are not politicians or populists.

"It's easy to say 'I'm going to sign three players and oh look, the people are happy because we signed.' But if we don't need the players who are available then why are we going to sign them? That's the point."

If you read the full article and the previous paragraph: “I don’t know why, it is difficult to explain,” Pochettino said. “The circumstances, because many things happen; I am disappointed we are still waiting for the new stadium when the expectation was to be there at the beginning of the season. I don’t know, many things happened in the summer, many things that make myself not in my best mood or best humour. I know I always have a good relationship with you but my feeling is not the best feeling. I had better feelings in previous seasons.”

I think it's clear he doesn't believe the club have ambition to try and win trophies, hence the summer we had. He'd have a much more different tone if he thought we were trying and wouldn't say how 'down' he was about things.

He's often been a very good public defender of Levy and the club before..you could say this is the time they need his defence more than any other...BUT he isn't...

My point was that by putting those words - the club doesn't seem interested in winning titles - in inverted commas, and attributing them to Poch, it sounded like that was what he actually said, which it wasn't.
Not meaning to be pedantic but comparing that to what he actually said is very different i.e. "I think the club is not focused completely in winning titles or winning games" and "But the club needs to be all focused in trying to win titles. Because today we need to fix other problems and different circumstances that happen that don’t help the team or the club to only be focused on winning titles. Sometimes people expect that we should be winning or we must win titles when the circumstances are not ideal."

My interpretation (and that is all we can each do, interpret what we each think he is getting at) is that he would ideally like the club's only focus to be winning titles. But circumstances mean that cannot be the case. Circumstances such as trying to complete the move into the new stadium.
Circumstances such as not being able to buy or afford to buy the (few) players we had identified as being suitable for the team.
It's not surprising that he isn't a bundle of joy about a situation that makes his job much harder. I don't think anyone is saying he is happy with the situation. He is clearly frustrated at having his hands tied behind his back compared to our competitors.
It is not a good situation to be in, and not a good message to hear.
But to say the club "is not interested in winning titles", and has no ambition to even try to win trophies is - imo - simply untrue and an extrapolation too far.

My point was that by putting those words - the club doesn't seem interested in winning titles - in inverted commas, and attributing them to Poch, it sounded like that was what he actually said, which it wasn't.
Not meaning to be pedantic but comparing that to what he actually said is very different i.e. "I think the club is not focused completely in winning titles or winning games" and "But the club needs to be all focused in trying to win titles. Because today we need to fix other problems and different circumstances that happen that don’t help the team or the club to only be focused on winning titles. Sometimes people expect that we should be winning or we must win titles when the circumstances are not ideal."

My interpretation (and that is all we can each do, interpret what we each think he is getting at) is that he would ideally like the club's only focus to be winning titles. But circumstances mean that cannot be the case. Circumstances such as trying to complete the move into the new stadium.
Circumstances such as not being able to buy or afford to buy the (few) players we had identified as being suitable for the team.
It's not surprising that he isn't a bundle of joy about a situation that makes his job much harder. I don't think anyone is saying he is happy with the situation. He is clearly frustrated at having his hands tied behind his back compared to our competitors.
It is not a good situation to be in, and not a good message to hear.
But to say the club "is not interested in winning titles", and has no ambition to even try to win trophies is - imo - simply untrue and an extrapolation too far.

We will see.

Firstly, Poch had NO need to bring up such subjects; he is going up against Emirates Marketing Project a team it would be no disgrace to lose against so it's not like he HAS to come up with the stadium etc 'excuses', especially after the pre-match press conference he did posted earlier. Our issues are clear to see.

Secondly, this is the Grauniad and NOT the Daily Mail. They are not prone to forcing such narratives.

As i say, we will see. Remember he didn't have to sign that extension in the summer...

We will see.

Firstly, Poch had NO need to bring up such subjects; he is going up against Emirates Marketing Project a team it would be no disgrace to lose against so it's not like he HAS to come up with the stadium etc 'excuses', especially after the pre-match press conference he did posted earlier. Our issues are clear to see.

Secondly, this is the Grauniad and NOT the Daily Mail. They are not prone to forcing such narratives.

As i say, we will see. Remember he didn't have to sign that extension in the summer...

What we can't see is what questions he was asked in this particular press briefing that led to him giving those comments. That would help provide some context.

And no, he didn't have to sign a new contract, but he did. He is not naive, he knows the club's fiscal limitations.
And again, I am not saying he is happy with the situation, just that his actual words are not the same as saying the club is not interested in winning titles.

What we can't see is what questions he was asked in this particular press briefing that led to him giving those comments. That would help provide some context.

And no, he didn't have to sign a new contract, but he did. He is not naive, he knows the club's fiscal limitations.
And again, I am not saying he is happy with the situation, just that his actual words are not the same as saying the club is not interested in winning titles.

I agree re not being able to see the questions and context; but you could apply that caveat to every article written that has Poch quotes; plus ANY football article period; do we apply such caveats to ALL we read in football??

As i say, Poch is the one who openly stated that the club does things differently in the transfer market pre summer, to mitigate against the World cup effect AND keep our position AND push on; Poch was the one who said the club needed to "be brave" in how it operated re transfers.
We took those quotes without having to check "what was the context/what were the questions" at that time...
We then get an unprecedented transfer window whereby the club not only doesn't show they are doing what he has asked but if anything does the opposite by buying no-one at all - the first time since transfer windows were introduced.

I would say the balance of evidence is clear that Poch would question the club's ambition on winning trophies/titles and it would be reflected in his quotes.
I am more than happy to be proved wrong if somebody could find the full questions he was responding to, but i would say the burden would be to prove that Poch WASN'T questioning the club's ambitions.

As i say, it's up to people to believe what they want...

EDIT - The thing is i believe Poch is putting levy on notice, or at least putting Levy much more in the spotlight. I'm not sure Levy reacts well to such spotlight....

Back