• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I’m not sure Sanchez looks too assured no matter who is playing alongside him. I don’t doubt his potential but two of his very worst performances for us (Liverpool away and Juventus away) came with Jan alongside him.

And Vorm in goal, who frankly doesn’t help anyone. I think when Vorm is between the sticks these days they all look wobbly TBH!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Hugo played both of those games.

Apologies, I defaulted to thinking we were talking about this season and Liverpool at home/Inter away (still means I didn’t read your post properly!)...

Let me get this straight. Are you discussing Sanchez last season or this? Last season was his first in this league and I think you’d have a hard time saying he didn’t overall have a great first season? This season he has been jittery, I personally believe because of the World Cup and personnel changes around him (plus a degree of average form).

Apologies, I defaulted to thinking we were talking about this season and Liverpool at home/Inter away (still means I didn’t read your post properly!)...

Let me get this straight. Are you discussing Sanchez last season or this? Last season was his first in this league and I think you’d have a hard time saying he didn’t overall have a great first season? This season he has been jittery, I personally believe because of the World Cup and personnel changes around him (plus a degree of average form).

Sanchez was brilliant last season, I genuinely thought he was Ledley in disguise a lot of the time. This season he has been far more shaky, could be down to several factors - his age meaning inconsistencies are inevitable, second season syndrome, World Cup etc etc Whatever the reason, it is clear in the next few years he would have developed into an absolute beast of a defender of that I am sure.....

I’m discussing him in general. Someone mentioned he looks assured next to Jan and not so much next to Toby. His two worst performances for us, both last season, were next to Jan.

I thought he was very good at times last season (at Arsenal when we lost 2-0 particularly he was immense) and looked ropey at other times. This season, he’s looked ropey most of the time. For me, that’s not down to who he’s playing alongside, that’s just Sanchez but I’m very hopeful that it’s just a sign of his inexperience rather than being error prone in a way he’ll never grow out of.

I’m discussing him in general. Someone mentioned he looks assured next to Jan and not so much next to Toby. His two worst performances for us, both last season, were next to Jan.

I thought he was very good at times last season (at Arsenal when we lost 2-0 particularly he was immense) and looked ropey at other times. This season, he’s looked ropey most of the time. For me, that’s not down to who he’s playing alongside, that’s just Sanchez but I’m very hopeful that it’s just a sign of his inexperience rather than being error prone in a way he’ll never grow out of.
I think you play down his performances last season, he was good to excellent most of the time, with a few games he looked ropey as you say.

This season he has looked ropey I agree, although I thought he did ok against West Ham, Arnautovic is an unorthodox handful and Sanchez did alright against him. A run of games which he will clearly get in the next month should give him a chance to regain his high levels of last season.

Having said all that, I’m not sure what it’s got to do with Poch and his quotes on the transfer window anymore? Think we’re getting to the realms of 7 degrees of separation in this thread!

Sanchez was incredible last season, enough so that I have no concerns about his current form, Im convinced he is the real deal and will prove it over time.

This season? Definitely off form, at the moment, but is it a surprise? Spent a year in Holland after leaving Columbia at a young(ish) age, quickly moved to the UK, dropped in the team and played more games than (I suspect) he ever expected to, then off to the World Cup, then straight into a new season...

The last couple of years have been a whirlwind, massive transition, and will need a bit of digesting. I suspect a case of "difficult second season" syndrome, but also just general "Holy fudge, I need to process things!".

I think you play down his performances last season, he was good to excellent most of the time, with a few games he looked ropey as you say.

This season he has looked ropey I agree, although I thought he did ok against West Ham, Arnautovic is an unorthodox handful and Sanchez did alright against him. A run of games which he will clearly get in the next month should give him a chance to regain his high levels of last season.

Having said all that, I’m not sure what it’s got to do with Poch and his quotes on the transfer window anymore? Think we’re getting to the realms of 7 degrees of separation in this thread!

To be honest, I thought he was poor against West Ham. Thought Arnautovic dominated him a bit. Similar to how Deeney did for the last 30 mins at Vicarage Road. Funny thing is, for the first 60 against Watford I thought he was imperious. He handled Deeney really well.

At this point, Sanchez is dodgy and has a mistake in him and I’d feel happier with Toby and Jan.

To be honest, I thought he was poor against West Ham. Thought Arnautovic dominated him a bit. Similar to how Deeney did for the last 30 mins at Vicarage Road. Funny thing is, for the first 60 against Watford I thought he was imperious. He handled Deeney really well.

At this point, Sanchez is dodgy and has a mistake in him and I’d feel happier with Toby and Jan.
I don’t think anyone has suggested otherwise on your last comment have they?

It’s a funny old game, I thought Arnautovic was pretty quiet barely having or creating a chance and we handled him well. Opinons..

Every right sided CB looks better next to Jan as he is a WC left side... and Poch know stgat which is why we’re looking at Ake who also plays left

Any young player struggles when coming in and out of the side and that’s natural IMO

Gotcha. I was absolutely the person who feels he plays better alongside Jan. In fact, I think Jan makes Toby better too! Anyway, I believe he will be immense for us.

Am I the only one thinking Poch has been found out this season?

As incredible as we’ve done in the last few seasons, Kane has been incredible (if a little slow starter) at that time- is it any wonder we’re struggling this season as Kane has struggled? He’s a shadow of the player he has been and this team seems to be following suit.

Also I think Poch got his team selection wrong - winks shdve started against psv for me.

I also think Poch reluctance to rotate is coming home to roost.

I get he doesn’t trust llorente but son do could a job upfront if he was trusted.

As incredible as we’ve done in the last few seasons, Kane has been incredible (if a little slow starter) at that time- is it any wonder we’re struggling this season as Kane has struggled? He’s a shadow of the player he has been and this team seems to be following suit.

Also I think Poch got his team selection wrong - winks shdve started against psv for me.

I get he doesn’t trust llorente but son do could a job upfront if he was trusted.

Found out? No he hasn’t been.

And I think Pochs managed the squad well given the injuries. He’s rotated full backs, rotated centre backs when he could, swapped midfielders regularly, rotated then three who
play off Kane. He can’t rotate Kane really because we don’t have an acceptable like for like alternative.

fudge me. The man is dealing with:

1. The sixth highest budget (and a long way from the top 5)
2. No home stadium and delays on the new one.
3. A lengthy injury list.
4. No signings.
5. His captain being arrested.
6. Reintegrating lads who were mentally out the door
7. Having to manage game time for Winks, Lamela and Dembele who don’t seem to be able to play two games a week.

Yet we’re still challenging hard for the top 4. Performances aren’t great (but are getting better) but the results have been good.

Poch is working miracles as far as I’m concerned and he’s a class act as his interview last night illustrated.

Found out? Haha. If he had made 3 or 4 signings like Klopp in areas that were of obvious need then perhaps that could even be a thought....but the board/chairman above him bought absolutely no-one...he is doing the best he can given the circumstances and the warnings he gave re getting reinforcements in a world cup year, being 'brave' etc

It's the way the club operates in the transfer market that has been found out imo - NOT Poch

There are plenty of factors at play, but after the Juve loss last season our performances really tailed off. We struggled for form and almost fell apart in the final month of the season. This season's performances have at times looked akin to those games.Now to be fair we don't normally hit our stride until Novemeber/December, but what's worrying is that we have looked mentally weaker and prone to conceding. In seasons past, we have looked void of ideas at times and have struggled to break teams down, but our defence has always been sound. This season however we have looked jittery and likely to concede when even remotely threatened. This worries me.

I do feel for Poch. Levy was meant to have done more for him this summer and didn't deliver. The lack of signings has been compounded by half our players not having a pre-season and Poch being unable to truly integrate any changes to the playing system.

My mind however is focused on whether or not he will go to Madrid this time. There are whispers that Poch isn't happy, we don't look like a happy team right now and Poch may see this as the best time to go. Perhaps what's more damning on my part is I think maybe it could be the right time. I'm being pragmatic here, I love the guy, but the timing might be right for all concerned. Poch would have half a season to get things going at Real without the weight of expectation that would be on his shoulders at the start of a season. This summer will be one without a major football tournament, which will mean time with first XI players on the training ground. As for us, the same reasons would apply, with a new manager having 6 months to work out who they want to keep and who they want gone, even before pre-season comes around. There aren't a host of names out there that we could get however. We would have to pay for a new manager, although I'd assume we would get plenty from Real for Poch. Then there is Jardim, a free agent who has European pedigree. We aren't so unattractive as to not have our charms, but with Jose maybe on his way out this summer, we would have to be pre-emptive in the manage field prior to the summer.

There are plenty of factors at play, but after the Juve loss last season our performances really tailed off. We struggled for form and almost fell apart in the final month of the season. This season's performances have at times looked akin to those games.Now to be fair we don't normally hit our stride until Novemeber/December, but what's worrying is that we have looked mentally weaker and prone to conceding. In seasons past, we have looked void of ideas at times and have struggled to break teams down, but our defence has always been sound. This season however we have looked jittery and likely to concede when even remotely threatened. This worries me.

I do feel for Poch. Levy was meant to have done more for him this summer and didn't deliver. The lack of signings has been compounded by half our players not having a pre-season and Poch being unable to truly integrate any changes to the playing system.

My mind however is focused on whether or not he will go to Madrid this time. There are whispers that Poch isn't happy, we don't look like a happy team right now and Poch may see this as the best time to go. Perhaps what's more damning on my part is I think maybe it could be the right time. I'm being pragmatic here, I love the guy, but the timing might be right for all concerned. Poch would have half a season to get things going at Real without the weight of expectation that would be on his shoulders at the start of a season. This summer will be one without a major football tournament, which will mean time with first XI players on the training ground. As for us, the same reasons would apply, with a new manager having 6 months to work out who they want to keep and who they want gone, even before pre-season comes around. There aren't a host of names out there that we could get however. We would have to pay for a new manager, although I'd assume we would get plenty from Real for Poch. Then there is Jardim, a free agent who has European pedigree. We aren't so unattractive as to not have our charms, but with Jose maybe on his way out this summer, we would have to be pre-emptive in the manage field prior to the summer.

I hear what you're saying. I think if Poch keeps us near the top four by January i think Levy will be forced to put his hand in his pocket as a last throw of the dice to get the new stadium in the CL for next year/keep Poch. Levy knows that he wont attract better than Poch.

We may not know what fully goes on behind the scenes between Levy/the Spurs board and the managers at Spurs but you can bet your last dollar a lot within football do know.
I doubt many top managers would want to walk in Poch's shoes and i think Levy/the board know that...

Edit - i also think Poch at this time is more likely to go to Manure in the summer than jin Real now...

Back