• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Poch will not go Madrid for the simple reason that following someone who was won 3 ECLs on the spin is destined for failure

Wenger though... nothing to lose now
Conte too

Not sure why Pochettino is even being linked with the Real Madrid manager's post. He has done well to keep us in top 3 for the last 3 seasons but he has not won any major trophies in his managerial career. Also, Pochettino is more comfortable working with youngsters than experienced players. With Real looking for instant success every season, I am convinced Pochettino will be a flop there.

Why would they want him, he's won nothing, he doesn' t know when to use subs and never wins big games. I know this as I hear and see pundits and "journalist" saying this about him, until they look for a story.

Just utterly desperate stuff from Spanish journos. Quite sad really.

And all sorts of jumped-up, self-styled journos in London. His website has all the depth of a beer cap and all the substance of stale popcorn.

Sick of his constant, manic self-promotion. A great editor once told me, when I was belly-aching about getting a break in the biz: "Let your work do the talking." It stopped me from delving into irrelevant froth and doing what mattered. A 16-year run with his publication followed.

How would Real go about getting Poch? Can you see someone with the integrity of Poch, having just signed a new lucrative deal with us, come crawling to Levy "boss, its real, come on, boss...." - can you? And even if he does, by some miniscule chance, Levy could just smack that new contract in his face and tell him to do the job he's hired to do, and recently agreed to do at an increased salary.

I just don't see how Real are trying to play this. They'd have to offer an enormous compensation, and I'm quite sure Levy wouldn't budge. Poch doesn't really have anything to say due to having just signed a new contract, so ... I just fail to see how Real think they can get him.

How would Real go about getting Poch? Can you see someone with the integrity of Poch, having just signed a new lucrative deal with us, come crawling to Levy "boss, its real, come on, boss...." - can you? And even if he does, by some miniscule chance, Levy could just smack that new contract in his face and tell him to do the job he's hired to do, and recently agreed to do at an increased salary.

I just don't see how Real are trying to play this. They'd have to offer an enormous compensation, and I'm quite sure Levy wouldn't budge. Poch doesn't really have anything to say due to having just signed a new contract, so ... I just fail to see how Real think they can get him.

There is absolutely no chance. Everything we know of the man from the last 4 years suggests he wouldn't dream of asking to go. He isn't about money, he is about integrity, about the long term, about the collective. Why risk a job for life - or for the next decade - just to go somewhere where even the best get 2 / 3 years max. Zidane, Benitez, Pellegrini, Mourinho, Del Bosque, Capello. And if he ever did want to go there, he can be pretty confident that another opportunity would come - even Ramos got a go.

There is almost nothing Real could say to get him, and while I'm sure he is admired there, I'm not so certain that he is the best candidate right now. Maybe in 5 years.

There is absolutely no chance. Everything we know of the man from the last 4 years suggests he wouldn't dream of asking to go. He isn't about money, he is about integrity, about the long term, about the collective. Why risk a job for life - or for the next decade - just to go somewhere where even the best get 2 / 3 years max. Zidane, Benitez, Pellegrini, Mourinho, Del Bosque, Capello. And if he ever did want to go there, he can be pretty confident that another opportunity would come - even Ramos got a go.

There is almost nothing Real could say to get him, and while I'm sure he is admired there, I'm not so certain that he is the best candidate right now. Maybe in 5 years.

I can think of 300,000 reasons, a week.

To go there and fail is to be set for life, even more so for a guy who just wants to go home and run a farm, there is no logic in turning it down.

Additionally, whoever takes over from ZZ is on a hiding to nothing. They have an ageing team who finished a long way behind Barca this year. They have a huge amount of rebuilding to do, despite having won 3 CLs, yet its not as if hte new guy will get time to do that - finish 2nd or 3rd without winning the CL and they'll be gone. Reason poisoned chalice

Poch also isnt a Real manager...not a big name and no trophies. Someone like Conte, Allegri, Low, perhaps Wenger...all much more likely

Would agree with all that.

Why would they want him, he's won nothing, he doesn' t know when to use subs and never wins big games. I know this as I hear and see pundits and "journalist" saying this about him, until they look for a story.

You forgot to put "some fans" alongside pundits and journalist.

As for ZZ he has got out at the right time i believe.

I think I’m right in being fairly confident that poch stays...

Yes it’s madrid but I think poch is an intelligent individual who can see the folly of taking over after Zidane...

It’s not the right time. He has unfinished business with us.

We need him and he needs us...

I can think of 300,000 reasons, a week.

To go there and fail is to be set for life, even more so for a guy who just wants to go home and run a farm, there is no logic in turning it down.

Does he strike you as someone that is in it for a quick buck so he can go run a farm? Can he not go and run a farm after completing his contract with us on £8.5M a year? Nothing about him suggests he's in it for the short term boost, and in fact there's every reason to suggest the smart move for long term earnings and consistency is to be in the place where you know you will endure. Juande Ramos was one of the hottest managerial prospects in the world, went to us, went to Madrid, then went to Dnipro, and now I couldn't tell you where he is. Pellegrini is now at West Ham following a stint in China. Benitez is at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. There's a lot to be said for being in a place you will ensure and watching your wages rise that way.

I wouldn't begrudge him going when he's ready. But I don't think he is, and I don't think he would even say he is. He's built his career in such a way to make the right moves at the right time. He's never wanted to overshoot himself too soon, and he's always made sure he keeps adapting and keeps learning. We're about to enter a period whereby he can prove he's got what it takes to manage Madrid one day. More money, competing with the top clubs for players with big egos, deep squads, expectations to win both domestically and in Europe. If he can prove himself in this environment, get us some trophies along the way and take us deep in Europe, then I'd say he's the right man for Madrid. I don't think he is now though. He'll need to prove it, and there's no better proving ground than the exact situation he has with us right now. He didn't go to Sampdoria when he had the chance for more money from Espanyol. He went to us because we represented the right next step for him. just like he wouldn't have been the right man for United when he was leaving Southampton, because he still had things to learn, he was the perfect man for us.

He's obviously got the talent. He's obviously got the potential. I just don't think now is his time for Madrid. And if he ends up building us in to a super club, we may never need to lose him. But if in the next 3-5 years he feels like he's taken as far as it is possible to go, I wouldn't begrudge him the move. Now it just feels way too soon for both sides.

hypothetical:

Poch tipped off that Zidane is to leave whether he wins CL or not.

Poch makes murmurs about having taken Spurs as far as he can. Now club needs to push on and challenge financially.

Levy and Poch sit down. Levy not willing to splash out. Poch makes his intentions clear.

To save face, Levy and Poch agree a "gentlemen's deal" of sorts, where Poch signs new contract, meaning any suitors must pay a hefty amount to get him, allowing both MoPo and DL to be happy with the severance.

Zidane quits at Madrid.

DL's phone starts ringing with an overseas number...
You never finished the story. Who was it? Who was it? WHO??

I'd be surprised if Poch is truly Real Madrid's number 1 target. Don't get me wrong he's done a great job for us on the whole but he must be at least one of the reasons why we always seem to fall short in crunch games. Not saying he's the only or main reason as it's a collective effort but I'm not sure how his lack of trophies really fits in with Madrid's dominance in Europe over the past 5 years and their incredible history of winning trophies in general.

Would have thought they would go for some one with a pedigree and proven track record when it comes to silverware.

Does he strike you as someone that is in it for a quick buck so he can go run a farm? Can he not go and run a farm after completing his contract with us on £8.5M a year? Nothing about him suggests he's in it for the short term boost, and in fact there's every reason to suggest the smart move for long term earnings and consistency is to be in the place where you know you will endure. Juande Ramos was one of the hottest managerial prospects in the world, went to us, went to Madrid, then went to Dnipro, and now I couldn't tell you where he is. Pellegrini is now at West Ham following a stint in China. Benitez is at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. There's a lot to be said for being in a place you will ensure and watching your wages rise that way.

I wouldn't begrudge him going when he's ready. But I don't think he is, and I don't think he would even say he is. He's built his career in such a way to make the right moves at the right time. He's never wanted to overshoot himself too soon, and he's always made sure he keeps adapting and keeps learning. We're about to enter a period whereby he can prove he's got what it takes to manage Madrid one day. More money, competing with the top clubs for players with big egos, deep squads, expectations to win both domestically and in Europe. If he can prove himself in this environment, get us some trophies along the way and take us deep in Europe, then I'd say he's the right man for Madrid. I don't think he is now though. He'll need to prove it, and there's no better proving ground than the exact situation he has with us right now. He didn't go to Sampdoria when he had the chance for more money from Espanyol. He went to us because we represented the right next step for him. just like he wouldn't have been the right man for United when he was leaving Southampton, because he still had things to learn, he was the perfect man for us.

He's obviously got the talent. He's obviously got the potential. I just don't think now is his time for Madrid. And if he ends up building us in to a super club, we may never need to lose him. But if in the next 3-5 years he feels like he's taken as far as it is possible to go, I wouldn't begrudge him the move. Now it just feels way too soon for both sides.

He doesn’t, but does anyone before the offer is on the table, if I get a call tomorrow saying “come and work for us, we’ll triple the salary and after 6 months if you are not up to it we’ll let you leave with 5 years cash in your back pocket” then I won’t even bother hanging up the phone, I’ll have already run out of the old place.

He jumped at the better offer we made him and before that the better offer Southampton made, which is possibly more relevant as he joined Southampton from a club where he was emotionally attached. Not only was each move for more money, but a step up too. As Madrid would clearly be.

It’s Madrid, along with coaching the Dallas Cowboys or driving for Ferrari F1 it’s the biggest job in sport, nobody turns it down.

Back