• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I’ve just done a quick Google and one of first links I can find is a story from March 2017 about rising stadium costs. If Poch was talking in Nov / Dec 2017 about how it would put us on a different level, it hasn’t suddenly changed in 5 months. Whatever money we had to spend this coming season isn’t really relevant here. Levy has always ran the club based on its predictable revenue as it relates to wages. We will have more in the new stadium and will increase wages as a result. Finding more money to finance the build - something that would have happened years ago - doesn’t come into it. The financial rules we live under have never been about cash we have in the bank right now, it’s about living sustainably and the whole reason we build the stadium is so our sustainable level is higher.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...ottenham-reveal-new-stadium-costs-9983339.amp

There is a weird amount of pessimism among Spurs fans right now that I really don’t understand. We’ve had some amazing moments this season and surely given where we are moving you’d think this would be one of the most optimistic times in our club’s history.

I agree and think it is sad.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

:) Maybe he’s done exactly what he intended to do then, after the semi final talking about ‘me or another’. Really get Spurs fans bricking themselves and appreciating what they have with him, terrified that he would actually go. Because there does seem to have been some widespread fear that he would actually, seriously leave right when his job is about to get more interesting than it’s ever been.

Look, I’ll just say this. I really don’t think our transfer budget has been cut significantly in the last few months by stadium costs, because that’s just not how it works, and Poch and Levy are joined at the hip on strategy for the club. We were never going to suddenly have a Man United style transfer budget, but we will start getting closer in terms of a wage budget.

I personally don’t ever listen to a press conference and think that the person speaking means exactly what they say. The whole point of media training is that you use the press to either your advantage, or you get out of it by saying nothing interesting at all. Poch is pretty damn good at the latter, and has way improved at the former, in terms of needling other managers. There is always some other motive, especially with big issues like matters of finances and the clubs’ direction. The last thing he is going to do is reveal our plans to the world, but since it’s an obligation, they use the press however they can.

No disrespect intended but how do you know what the relationship between Poch and Levy is like and what their thoughts on that relationship are?

I don't think he's going anywhere either. I also think that the Real Madrid job is not right for him at any stage in his career. A job like that would not give him space for what he is best at.

Agreed.
It amazes me that people think he would go for that circus right now, if ever.
I genuinely believe the majority of people think about things like that from their perspectives/what they would do rather than thinking about the characteristics of the person directly involved.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We started at £400m, then revised upwards to £750m and then £850m with the possibility of it going to a billion.
Come on, we all know that we up-specced finishes and plans and the budget went upwards... but those huge figures were just put out there for political reasons, they are not the true cost of the stadium, they include all the other huge developments so the cost will be nothing like that (and it's all financed by loans/sponsors anyway) so chill out my friend. Income will pay the repayments easily.

No disrespect intended but how do you know what the relationship between Poch and Levy is like and what their thoughts on that relationship are?

Because it’s obvious in the way they talk about each other, and it’s actually the reason we finally started punching above our weight. We are pulling in one direction as a club, and Levy and Poch are totally aligned on the strategy. Read his book or listen to any quote they have put out about one another. It’s obvious.

Poch cares so much about this club and isn’t going anywhere.

Put it this way. Whatever benefits financially that would be derived from the new stadium will have been planned for and understood years ago.

Not certain of that. Brexit will be having an effect on stadium costs, particularly in terms of availability of cheap Eastern-European labour. Lots of them are going home or elsewhere. These things won't have been planned for.

Not certain of that. Brexit will be having an effect on stadium costs, particularly in terms of availability of cheap Eastern-European labour. Lots of them are going home or elsewhere. These things won't have been planned for.

I’m not doubting there are some unpredictabilities that will have needed adjustments, but to the extent that Poch seriously starts questioning his role at the club? Come on.

Because it’s obvious in the way they talk about each other, and it’s actually the reason we finally started punching above our weight. We are pulling in one direction as a club, and Levy and Poch are totally aligned on the strategy. Read his book or listen to any quote they have put out about one another. It’s obvious.

Poch cares so much about this club and isn’t going anywhere.

So one minute you don’t put any value on what’s said to the media but if it suits the narrative you want to believe (Levy and Poch joined at the hip on strategy) then you do?

It does appear that Levy and Poch have had a very good relationship up until recently, there have been articles in the past about how well they’ve got on, no idea if that’s still the case. But on the whole like everyone BoL is just making assumptions. It’s easy to turn everything Poch says or does into a negative or positive depending on what way you want to argue. But sounds like everything positive that comes out of Pochs mouth we should lap up, and then anything negative is just him being really clever and not meaning what he is saying:rolleyes:

It does appear that Levy and Poch have had a very good relationship up until recently, there have been articles in the past about how well they’ve got on, no idea if that’s still the case. But on the whole like everyone BoL is just making assumptions. It’s easy to turn everything Poch says or does into a negative or positive depending on what way you want to argue. But sounds like everything positive that comes out of Pochs mouth we should lap up, and then anything negative is just him being really clever and not meaning what he is saying:rolleyes:

Exactly. No one here knows what the relationship between Levy and Poch is. No one knows if Poch has had the goalposts moved or if he’s just fed up with managing a squad all looking for more wages and a increasingly impatient and ungrateful fan base.

Likewise no one knows if him and Levy are both happy as Larry and completely agreed on club and transfer strategy.

There have been noises in both directions lately. FWIW, again I’ll state I do think he’ll be here next season and I really hope so because he’s done, and continues to do, an unbelievable job for us.

Think you're reaching there to say it's a media narrative - everything that comes out of Tottenham and direct from both Poch and Levys mouth would suggest it's a fair reflection of their relationship

Think you're reaching there to say it's a media narrative - everything that comes out of Tottenham and direct from both Poch and Levys mouth would suggest it's a fair reflection of their relationship

Never said it was a media narrative. BOL said earlier that Poch, and all managers, use the media for their own ends so he doesn’t believe what’s said to the media. In his next post he says that one of the reasons he knows Poch and Levy are so close is because what they’ve said about each other (in the media).

Most people would say nice things about their boss in public so it’s a bit of a double standard to take that at face value and dismiss “me or another” comment and Pochs changing position on what the new stadium will bring as him using the media.

Never said it was a media narrative. BOL said earlier that Poch, and all managers, use the media for their own ends so he doesn’t believe what’s said to the media. In his next post he says that one of the reasons he knows Poch and Levy are so close is because what they’ve said about each other (in the media).

Most people would say nice things about their boss in public so it’s a bit of a double standard to take that at face value and dismiss “me or another” comment and Pochs changing position on what the new stadium will bring as him using the media.

You pretty much said it was in a follow up post by saying that BoL believes a media narrative when it suits his agenda mate, come on...

You pretty much said it was in a follow up post by saying that BoL believes a media narrative when it suits his agenda mate, come on...

Read the post. I actually didn’t. I said BOL believes what’s said in the media when it suits the narrative he wants to believe (i.e. his narrative).

So one minute you don’t put any value on what’s said to the media but if it suits the narrative you want to believe (Levy and Poch joined at the hip on strategy) then you do?

Oh man, if you want to spend the summer worrying about nothing, you obviously can. I just don’t see the reason as to why you would.

Let me develop my point - it’s about thinking about the context of what is said, why it might be being said, and the channel that is being used. Poch has never come out and said the words that he is joined at the hip with Levy on strategy, but if you’ve read his book, you can see how he really feels. And if you see how we operate and how successful we’ve been, you can see it is true. So his book for example, is more likely to be the truth rather than a press interview. Similarly when he says Edwards has an attitude problem, he’s probably straight up saying he has an attitude problem and using that to tell him he needs to improve. Or when he says Edwards reminds him of Messi - I think he knows exactly what he’s doing there. It’s as much about seeing how Edwards reacts to massive praise as it is the act of giving it to him. He did the same with Winks and Winks remained humble for example.

But it’s also about looking at what is realistic. Have stadium costs increased so much in 5 months that we have to almost totally alter our strategy and to the extent that Poch might consider his position? It just isn’t how it works. So I assume the reason he is saying what he is saying, and through the channel he is saying it, is because he’s looking to derive some advantage for us. If he said 4 years ago that the stadium was going to be a game changer, then said 3.5 years ago that it wasn’t, and then kept that message every week for the next 3 years, I’d be more inclined to believe the strategy has been affected due to unforeseen circumstances. Circumstances that occurred during the main planning phase, before the crux of the build has started, that mah have hit us out of nowhere. But Brexit, exchange rates, going over budget, absolutely anything that could have come to light in the last 5 months, has not suddenly shocked us and Poch to the point that he would consider his position. It just hasn’t because that isn’t how something like this works.

Back