• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

so, Arsenal then, 3 cups in 4 years - they have the mentality we are striving for? yes/no
United, won a treble last season - we should be looking to match their mentality? yes/no
Chelsea, Champions of England - they are mentally on a higher plane than us? yes/no

or is it just possible that it's the trophies they have won that we want and not the mentality they possess (or more like don't possess if you'd spent any time at all following them the past few seasons)

if those sides have a mentality that we are lacking then frankly it is a mentality i think we can do without

Going round in circles, as i said earlier you obviously can not see or want to see.

Because there are 4 trophies. One of which is the League. One of which is the CL. Both of those we are competing with clubs far wealthier than us who are able to build the squads that they would hope sustain them over the course of a full season.

The domestic cups have been won by teams that have been relegated in the same year. In the modern era. I don't think Wigan or Birmingham proved any sort of winning mentality by winning them.

If we are genuinely competing for the PL and CL, then I think it's fair to say we have one. Or certainly there won't be many other teams that do, if we don't have one in that instance. Especially if we are doing it consistently, season after season.

That has nothing to do with what I said.

If GHod forbid, we arrive at 2023 (or even 2024) to take us to 10 years of Poch without a trophy, would you say we have a winning mentality? And let's say we've finished 2nd every single one of those seasons?

And it your answer is yes, we would have q winning mentality, is there literally any other sport where you could claim to have a winning mentality without winning anything? Tennis, rugby, hockey, sprinting, whatever?

That has nothing to do with what I said.

If GHod forbid, we arrive at 2023 (or even 2024) to take us to 10 years of Poch without a trophy, would you say we have a winning mentality? And let's say we've finished 2nd every single one of those seasons?

And it your answer is yes, we would have q winning mentality, is there literally any other sport where you could claim to have a winning mentality without winning anything? Tennis, rugby, hockey, sprinting, whatever?

teams don't last for ten years/five years, probably quite rare to say any team is the same over a 3 year period even so your hypothetical scenario of ten years with this team doesn't make much sense to the conversation - if we sell Kane and Eriksen and find ourselves back to where we were a couple of years back then no i don't think anyone would claim we have a winning mentality - that could happen over the course of one summer. We could even hold on to all of our players but their intensity drops off or and we don't look the team we have been these past couple of seasons - then i wouldn't be saying we had a winning mentality. But the team we have now, over the past couple of seasons (personally i see the 3rd in a two horse race season being the real motivator to push us on a level) has a mentality i wouldn't trade for any others in the league - will it be the same again next season or the season after? don't know...

Last edited:
This whole question of whether we have a winning mentality or not is a complete waste of time.

Why? Why, because the past is the past and now it's all about the future and we simply do not know what the future holds. If we go on to win the FA Cup this season then the PL next season that should settle the argument (though some will always argue no doubt) but I repeat, it's all in the future, it's all unknown.

So let's just move on shall we and talk about something, ahem, worthwhile? :)

I think this is undoubtedly the one area we will have learnt from, because Juve went old school 1980 with their gamesmanship. I thought Verts would've taken on that mantle, but in all honesty it happened so quickly that by the time we got a foothold again we were 2-1 down.

As an aside to those who wanted Moura. I see the point but still think he didn't make a mistake there. Wow had tom keep it tight right to the end, in fact, had we gone hell for leather all guns blazing, we might've lost by three or four. Keeping it tight nearly worked.
Can you please not remind me of this game. I still haven't gotten over it, nor will I until we win the whole damn thing.

so Wenger was right all along.....a true visionary and trailblazer.......

"For me there are five trophies every season: Premier League, Champions League, the third is to qualify for the Champions League," Wenger told the room full of assembled shareholders and some media representatives. "The fourth is the FA Cup and then the League Cup.

so we are winners!!!

"For me there are five trophies every season: Premier League, Champions League, the third is to qualify for the Champions League," Wenger told the room full of assembled shareholders and some media representatives. "The fourth is the FA Cup and then the League Cup.

so we are winners!!!

Can't believe he put the FA cup 4th, seeing as that is all he's won, and Spurs have been getting his 3rd trophy.

so we are winners!!!

Yes we are!
Wenger has been the most influential manager we have ever seen In the EPL.
For me he has been the best by a considerable distance.
But should have moved on much earlier.

You think he’s a considerable distance better than Fergie?

Fergie was a great manager! But everything to do with United is tainted by their financial superiority. Its why City is a little bit of payback, but equally as tainted. PSG, Real, Barcelona, Chelsea, United, City and maybe Bayern are all aggrandised due to money.
But for me Arsenal football under Wenger was outstanding, sadly for us Spurs fans.
Would have loved him a Spurs. But not for so long!

Wenger was a revelation when he came to the UK, and is responsible for the game here coming up to the modern age.

I dont think his impact can be understated.

And for a while Arsenal played some excellent stuff as well. A whole season unbeaten (as spawny as it was at times) is an incredible achievement.

That being said, Fergie is the best. Always will be I suspect, unless Poch really builds a legacy ;O)

He was the best when Wenger came along, rose to WEngers challenge and outperformed him, raised his game again to meet Jose's challenge...

Whatever was put in front of him he beat, and it wasnt even with a doped team - not really. Their spending has increased exponentially since he left.

Just look at the squad he won his last title with, incredible...

Not even a contenst on managerial ability Fergie and Mourinho are leagues ahead of Wenger, who couldnt rebuild the side he had success with.

Can see the arguments for him being the most influential though as he helped usher in the modern approach to football (training/dietry/scouting and so on)

Back