• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I’m throwing it out there just for the sake of debate.

Is it possible that Pochettino has brought this club as far as he can? Could he be a Mourinho-like manager - come in, have an impact for 3-4 years and then it goes sour?

In the last two seasons, this team looked together and were a very tight bunch. They now look nothing like that and Alli, Dier and Rose (particularly) look like they have had their heads turned. Defensively, we look ropey and while Toby is a major loss, we were less solid before he got injured than in past seasons.

Someone posted a few weeks back that it looked like Poch’s methods have a life span and eventually the players stop believing in them. His time at Espanyol (where there were other constraints) started to go badly wrong in his 3rd or 4th season. Could the same happen here?

The bench included Aurier. Trippier was being destroyed yesterday, to the point where three of the four goals we conceded came with the simplest of passes down the right because Trippier was being shown up as a training cone with the simplest pass in behind - too slow, too weak and too useless to last against players like Sane. It's not his fault - it's the fault of the tactical system which put him there.

A system which Poch refused to change, even after watching us concede goal after goal and chance after chance because of *his* error - despite having Aurier on the bench.

This new developing narrative of 'City were always going to win, they spend squillions, poor ickle us' irks me a bit, because it ignores that *we* threw that game away to a large extent. Not City. We destroyed ourselves to a large extent, and Poch simply proved worse than Guardiola in this game - outthought, outfought and outclassed despite Guardiola having to deal with injuries on a similar level to what Poch had to deal with.

We could change this game. We did not. It was a grave mistake that Poch had better correct - all else is immaterial.
So do you think we would have won yesterday if Trippier is changed for Aurier?

No it is not possible, none of those managers would come to us with such a little transfer spend and low wages.

If the players do not to play for Poch then they can fcuk off, I half get the idea that they want to earn more wages. If that is the case, we start again with Poch still in charge and new players.

Rose wants a last big pay day, fine. Dembele poor chap is coming to the end so he can go run his hotel. We need a little extra in defence and central midfield, a little more time bringing through the youngsters and one or two good signings and we will be ready to reach a higher level.

We will never win the league when teams like city can spend 2 billion on players or whatever it is, the worlds best coach Pep like Moanrinho is a great manager I am sure, but he has spent a fcuk load to be a great manager.

We will be fine and in Poch we have our best manager in years, I love him and anyone who says otherwise will have my large erect penis thrashed about their head and no custard to offset the pain either.

Is it possible that Pochettino has brought this club as far as he can? Could he be a Mourinho-like manager - come in, have an impact for 3-4 years and then it goes sour?

In the last two seasons, this team looked together and were a very tight bunch. They now look nothing like that and Alli, Dier and Rose (particularly) look like they have had their heads turned. Defensively, we look ropey and while Toby is a major loss, we were less solid before he got injured than in past seasons.

Someone posted a few weeks back that it looked like Poch’s methods have a life span and eventually the players stop believing in them. His time at Espanyol (where there were other constraints) started to go badly wrong in his 3rd or 4th season. Could the same happen here?

I think that Poch was seen as someone who'd want to make the most of the training facilities and youth infrastructure who'd not grown accustomed to spending silly money, aka Levy's ideal man during the frugal times of building the new stadium. The difference in circumstances of the club as it was when he came in and the usual set up that Jose would consider is miles apart and also their approach in matters on and off the pitch are chalk and cheese so I don't see the comparison.

So do you think we would have won yesterday if Trippier is changed for Aurier?

That's not what Dubaispur is putting across at all so a bit of a wind up question there. Poch could have at least thrown a bottle of lube to Sane, but alas he didn't seem to want to help Trippier in any way.

I think that Poch was seen as someone who'd want to make the most of the training facilities and youth infrastructure who'd not grown accustomed to spending silly money, aka Levy's ideal man during the frugal times of building the new stadium. The difference in circumstances of the club as it was when he came in and the usual set up that Jose would consider is miles apart and also their approach in matters on and off the pitch are chalk and cheese so I don't see the comparison.

It wasn’t really a comparison of styles or methods. Obviously, Mourinho is a completely different animal. It was more a case of wondering if, like Mourinho or even Pardew, Poch is an impact manager and who only has 3-4 years.

It wasn’t really a comparison of styles or methods. Obviously, Mourinho is a completely different animal. It was more a case of wondering if, like Mourinho or even Pardew, Poch is an impact manager and who only has 3-4 years.

We woudknt know as he hasn’t been that long anywhere yet

That's not what Dubaispur is putting across at all so a bit of a wind up question there. Poch could have at least thrown a bottle of lube to Sane, but alas he didn't seem to want to help Trippier in any way.
He has made the point repeatedly that the main issue yesterday was not replacing Trippier with Aurier. I’m not sure it would have made any difference because our problems were far deeper. On the subject of wind up points perhaps you might want to pick him up on his view that Guardiola had the same squad issues as us.

Fair enough question mate. Believe me I have wondered it seeing how our season has gone so far compared to other seasons. Couple of things though.
1) He has evolved in his time at Spurs, each season sorting out issues from previous seasons, 1st season conceding too many goals with Bentaleb and Mason as the double pivot, second season playing Dembele and Dier in there to make us more solid. 2nd season over reliance on Dembele in the team to beat the press and make us solid, 3rd season bring in Wanyama and change formation from 4231 to variations on 5311. He has shown incredible tactical flexibility and has improved us each season. This season while our league form has been poorer he has 8mproved us in the Champions League. There is still a long way to go in this season and a lot to play for.

2) The number of long term injuries to first team players in the last 2 seasons is taking its toll and not allowing us to build momentum. Even players who have come back from injuries like Dembele and Rose look a shadow of their former selves. Coupled with selling our best right back and not replacing him with similar quality (Aurier may be that player long term but not yet)

Also @DeanoAustin I forgot the “Wembley factor.” Doesn’t explain our Away day woes but we were so strong at the Lane last season it gave us a platform for what we achieved and when things went slightly Pete tong away from home we had our home form to fall back on. Teams feared coming to the Lane and we beat all our top 4 rivals except Liverpool. We are just not as strong and confident at Wembley.

I think Levy will back him, I also think Poch is a little frustrated that we didn't get our signings in earlier last summer given he spoke about wanting them all done before the WC. I expect we'll sign 1 (max 2) in January and leave the main business till the summer.

Next summer is really the time to spend a bit, we will have the CL revenue which should be high as we finished 2nd so get a bigger cut and we also would have won extra money for the group stage wins and that with the new naming rights and stadium should give us a boost.

Most important is sorting Toby with a new contract.

No it is not possible, none of those managers would come to us with such a little transfer spend and low wages.

If the players do not to play for Poch then they can fcuk off, I half get the idea that they want to earn more wages. If that is the case, we start again with Poch still in charge and new players.

Rose wants a last big pay day, fine. Dembele poor chap is coming to the end so he can go run his hotel. We need a little extra in defence and central midfield, a little more time bringing through the youngsters and one or two good signings and we will be ready to reach a higher level.

We will never win the league when teams like city can spend 2 billion on players or whatever it is, the worlds best coach Pep like Moanrinho is a great manager I am sure, but he has spent a fcuk load to be a great manager.

We will be fine and in Poch we have our best manager in years, I love him and anyone who says otherwise will have my large erect penis thrashed about their head and no custard to offset the pain either.

I'm with you ... but I don't have a large erect penis. However Xmas savings at Tesco mean that I can possibly bring some birds custard ...

Sounds good, are you on Grindr?

Lamela got an assist within minutes of his comeback against Leicester and has been creating chances ever since. We went away to Real Madrid with Llorente and Kane up front, went long to him and it worked so don’t tell me that can’t work, especially against an unconvincing defence.

I don’t think I know what’s best, I’m saying what everyone saw in that what Poch setup wasn’t working. If that was Mourinho Trippier would have been subbed after half hour! But it is nonsense to say we didn’t have the resources to try something different, either with the players who were playing or using the mentioned subs. If you can’t comprehend that I can’t help you....

OK. Sorry mate, this reply is NOT just to you but also to a few others making the same general points, I have to say the following.
1) do any of you speak to the coaching staff regularly?
2) do all of you believe it is as easy as 'playing a bloke who came back and assisted within minutes of his comeback?
3) do all of you believe that bringing Aurier on would've changed the game?
4) do all of you believe that 4-4-2, with Llorente and Kane together up top, would REALLY have got the job done against a side who can send Bernardo fudging Silva on with two minutes left?

Seriously.
Some people, in my un-humble opinion, need to re-evaluate how they watch matches and process disappointments.
I laugh every fudging time the Lamela thing comes up. He just played 70 minutes against brickton, building his confidence and match fitness further, yet some people believe he should've started again yesterday against the fastest, slickest side in the league at their gaff? After a year off? With it documented that he has gone through confidence issues regarding his health? See, I want him fit and ready for the games over Xmas we should win, and into the New Year. I don't want to knacker him for 6 months again!

After 30 minutes we were 1-0 down. Not because of Kieran Tripper. Because we missed a key assignment from a set-piece. A mistake NOT down to Trippier. We went in at HT one goal down.
If a few of our star players had even been 30% closer to peak form, we might well have got that goal back within the first 15 minutes go the second half, when City were getting pegged back.
The catalytic moment was Dele's awful challenge on the ginger, which should've been a red. The Ginger subsequently did what you coach all kids to do, and took out his anger on the ball. To blame Tripper for not containing him is folly; the bloke's been uncontainable by every side he's faced this season and will jostle with D Silva for player of the year.

I think it'd be well worth remembering that right before they got their third, we should've either scored or engineered a penalty opportunity. We were fighting to get back in the game. That we coughed two more up was silly.

Something is not right, that much is clear. I have my theories, and they revolve around a combination of players being tapped up/back-chatted, poor form and the 'homeless' factor.

But I hope our 'supporters' can remember that we are 3 points off top 4, in the CL knock-outs and have two of our most important players returning in January.

Once again, we need to fudging grow a pair. In my un-humble opinion!

I think City made us play so poorly though, they pressed so high and well, often having 2/3 players around us so we couldn't get out. Yes we could have played long but the press would have been the same.

They also have serious pace all across the team (Walker, Sane, Sterling, De Bruyne, Aguero, Jesus) which utterly destroyed us. They had so much movement with players running left and right that we simply couldn't handle it.

Obviously we also didn't play well, Dembele got totally outdone in the middle and Winks was poor and offered no protection but I think their pressure forced us into mistakes.

They were smart. Moose is stoppable if you press him deep. He holds on too long and gets forced to pass backwards. He has lost the yard of surge. We need to recognize he is a player off the bench for some situations, and if Toby or Sanchez had been available, Dier and Winks would've been the partnership and a better one too!

City have a huge weak spot - Mangala, Otamendi and Delph. We could have sat deep and then launched it long to 3 attackers against those 3... bypass the midfield, don't play City at their game, just sit deep and deny all the space... then spring 3 vs 3.

But Poch wanted to play football against those other 7 fine footballers of City... a very dangerous and over-optimistic approach IMO.

I agree, but I doubt he thought that Eriksen and Alli would be so poor, I'm sure he thought he'd get better performance from them and trusted them to do so. As much as Toby's injury hurts, the one which did us here was Sanchez's suspension. If he plays, Dier can go alongside Winks and we don't need to start Dembele/can use him for impact. I think that area is where we got absolutely murdered, as Winks was left alone for long periods due to Moose being pressed an unable to deal. Dier has more energy in that position these days. But again, I think you're right, Poch went to play football and saw his key men simply not do a thing.

Back