• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

It took him 3/4 seasons i think and he won the FA Cup. I was working in Manchester during that time and in his first couple of seasons he struggled, there were banners at the game saying " we want Fergie sacked" . The board stuck with him him as they say " the rest is history"

Just goes to show that there were macaronic fans about then as they are now. :)
I know some wistful Palace fans that will tell you a win against Utd in 1990 would have had Ferguson sacked and would have ruined the Utd empire. They're probably not far wrong.

Interesting, I didnt know Man U were an 'underdog' back then (thats not sarcyness, I was young at that time and always assumed Man U to be one of the biggest sides regardless of era)....

United growing up we’re not as well supported as people claim and certainly were not a go to side. I’m remember Big racist Ron in charge...

But Fergie got it right at the right time and their history along with modern success attracts a bigger fan base

You make a good counterargument!

Rose has been here years though, and has probably stagnated - not in terms of performance, but just motivational factors. We've seen delays in contract signatures before, I firmly believe based on nothing except gut that Toby will sign a new deal. Our wages are inferior, but every player knows the score when signing and if perform well are getting rewarded with contract improvements. Despite all the constant media talk about our inferior wages, the only player of significance to of left under the Poch tenure was Walker and that seems to of been a calculated sale that would have minimum impact on us.

As the majority of our squad and Poch have been together for some time, it surely is going to be exciting to play together in the new stadium. It looks fantastic, I cant remember a time in our league where so many neutral fans have complimented how good a new stadium looks. It might be a minor factor, but I believe players are looking forward to playing back there and coming back home.

And yes that is a good start for the new White Hart Lane, but again another trophyless season. Winning trophies might be overrated to some fans, but I have heard SO many players talk about how important it is to look back at their trophy cabinet after their career has ended and enjoy their silverware. We are running out of seasons to make excuses, or we will indeed have to accept a player exodus....

i agree about rose and hope we repeat the walker episode with aurier v 2. if that epitomizes our business now i think thats a great business model. i think we need to be patient - and keep our fingers crossed for another 1-2 years. i believe that new stadium with poch and most of the players who get there will make NWHL a fortress, and things will look even better than the last 2 years. As for trophies ... its a matter of time ... but you know how keepers play a blinder when they meet us, how debutants and ex-players tend to score against us .... yep...just a matter of time....

Literally not what he is saying at all. He's talking about genuinely challenging for the two biggest trophies, not just being happy to be involved. I'd argue we have genuinely challenged for the title more than Arsenal in the last ten years.

last season we genuinely challenged for the title. The season before when Leicester won was a weird one, it never really felt we were even close to catching them. Plus Arse pipped us to 2nd place so if you want to count that as a title challenge then they were closer than we were.;)

my thoughts between jan and april that year were that leicester would inevitably revert to the mean and that we would win the title comfortably

ever the optimist

a bloated inconvenience? why is that then?

all the games are played at the business end of the season right around CL latter stages and replays are allowed in earlier rounds causing fixture congestion, there is also a strong possibility that you'll get drawn against a team with inferior facilities increasing the chance of pitch related injury

and the big kicker of course, is that even if you win it you don't get a CL place

all the games are played at the business end of the season right around CL latter stages and replays are allowed in earlier rounds causing fixture congestion, there is also a strong possibility that you'll get drawn against a team with inferior facilities increasing the chance of pitch related injury

and the big kicker of course, is that even if you win it you don't get a CL place

We are not expected to progress to the latter stages of the CL where we would obviously prioritise that over an domestic cup competition. Usually all we have is the PL to genuinely concentrate on post December.

how can a potential extra 6-8 games from January to May be an inconvenience? Thank GHod Bill Nic never had such an attitude because if he did Tottenham Hotspur would now be no more important or special than Stoke City. And before you say things were different then yes i agree. Back then footballers played more games, on rubbish pitches, without the medical support players receive nowadays, they didnt travel to games in luxury coaches or planes

yes the PL is the priority, finishing in the top 4 is vital. The CL is a fabulous bonus. imo the Fa cup is perfectly manageable for a club like ours.

Utd have been famous for decades, but their world famous money machine really started under Ferguson and the Premier League. They had "serious relegation fears" when he joined and with good reason.

They became a world wide followed club after the Munich tragedy, at one time they had the biggest publicity machine in the game.

I know some wistful Palace fans that will tell you a win against Utd in 1990 would have had Ferguson sacked and would have ruined the Utd empire. They're probably not far wrong.

Yes the "Mark Robins" saviour.

also, Scholar (rightly) had the hots for Fergie, had United fired him it would have been us with 20 odd league titles which Palace fans may have liked less

also, Scholar (rightly) had the hots for Fergie, had United fired him it would have been us with 20 odd league titles which Palace fans may have liked less

If i remember correctly we were after Fergie after Shreeves, but he turned us down and we went for Pleat instead.

If i remember correctly we were after Fergie after Shreeves, but he turned us down and we went for Pleat instead.

yep, Fergie claims in his book he was offered the job, I'm sure Scholar would have been straight back in had he been available later on though

Back