• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

So who should we be benchmarking ourselves against then? Our fans and manager like to talk like we are a top club therefore we have to deliver like they do.....

we shouldn't forget that we are competing with the top clubs despite our lesser resources, we have to cut our cloth accordingly and continued participation in the CL is of primary importance, nothing else can impinge on that

Not having Patience is not something you can aim at Spurs fans
Of course it is in this context.

There was no need for patience in the past as we were clearly not really going anywhere.

Now there is a definate plan unfolding that is quite well signposted. We are probaly ahead of schedule (on the field) and i understand that that raises expectations.

Just gotta have belief that the two main men know what there doing and hence that's where the patience comes in.

Last edited:
we shouldn't forget that we are competing with the top clubs despite our lesser resources, we have to cut our cloth accordingly and continued participation in the CL is of primary importance, nothing else can impinge on that
Yeah I agree with that, but the way many talk we are one of the best clubs in the country and if we are then we need to win some trophies its as simple as that. Everyone recognises we achieve beyond our means but we cant on pretending to be one of the big boys then when season after season we dont actually win anything and just fall back on the fact we have lesser resources therefore shouldnt be expected to win anything.....

we need to get to the new stadium and start benefitting from the increased gate revenue and sponsorships.
then will we be better equipped financially to mount a challenge across multiple fronts.

right now we should be definitely averse about missing out on the chance to play CL.
if we do drop out of top four placings this season, i anticipate that it is going to be a very tense transfer window with all the agents and media circling like hawks.

we need to get to the new stadium and start benefitting from the increased gate revenue and sponsorships.
then will we be better equipped financially to mount a challenge across multiple fronts.

right now we should be definitely averse about missing out on the chance to play CL.
if we do drop out of top four placings this season, i anticipate that it is going to be a very tense transfer window with all the agents and media circling like hawks.
Maybe Im being naive but Im not overly concerned about losing our players if dont get CL this season. I think the attraction of playing at new stadium will be enough to keep them for one more year but maybe thats overly optimistic. Also think this would be best year not to get into Europe if we was going to have one bad season, as will move into our new home and make our challenge for PL title easier (last two seasons team not in Europe have won the league)....

Im sure all 'our' trepidations regarding the new stadium and its consequences over the next 2 to 3 seasons will be have discussed and planned for by Levy et al, well as much as it is conceivably possible.

The bottom line IMHO nothing that is happening has come as a shock to Levy or Pochettino and to the majority of fans if we are being honest. But we are moving, it wont be easy, yes we might lose players, it is what it is.

When the going gets tough.......

The last team to do what we're trying to do, in the way we're trying to do it was United under Ferguson.
Interesting, I didnt know Man U were an 'underdog' back then (thats not sarcyness, I was young at that time and always assumed Man U to be one of the biggest sides regardless of era)....

Maybe Im being naive but Im not overly concerned about losing our players if dont get CL this season. I think the attraction of playing at new stadium will be enough to keep them for one more year but maybe thats overly optimistic. Also think this would be best year not to get into Europe if we was going to have one bad season, as will move into our new home and make our challenge for PL title easier (last two seasons team not in Europe have won the league)....

you are entitled to your own views but with rose complaining on air, difficulty getting toby to sign a new contract, our still paltry wages compared to clubs even beyond the top 4, i think the signs are there that we've pushed the envelope as far as we can.

west ham had a new stadium and so that Emirates Marketing Project and arsenal, heard many reasons to play football there but nothing about playing in a new stadium. its not like buying a new car or underpants.

keeping most of our players end of this season, champions league next season at the new white hart lane - isn't that a pretty good start even if we don't have trophies ?

They have 'arrived' we haven't.

We are trying to arrive.......that is the plan......and all Poch is saying is this is how we behave to best complete that plan.

(BTW Arsenal are beginning to depart:))

I do not disagree with some of that, but we better hurry up and arrive soon or our best players will be looking elsewhere so they can actually win something.

Yeah I agree with that, but the way many talk we are one of the best clubs in the country and if we are then we need to win some trophies its as simple as that. Everyone recognises we achieve beyond our means but we cant on pretending to be one of the big boys then when season after season we dont actually win anything and just fall back on the fact we have lesser resources therefore shouldnt be expected to win anything.....

tickle my balls with a feather.

The last team to do what we're trying to do, in the way we're trying to do it was United under Ferguson.

Your are right, but Fergie actually won a couple of cups before winning what some call the ONLY trophys that matter.

I'm in the camp that thinks winning trophies is overrated.

For me, as a fan, there is more satisfaction and glory in outcompeting other top teams across 38 games, like we have the last 2 seasons, and then playing and beating the likes of Dortmund, Inter and AC Milan, than there is in beating 1 or 2 top teams (plus 3 or 4 Barnsleys) across 6 matches.

I'm in the camp that thinks winning trophies is overrated.

For me, as a fan, there is more satisfaction and glory in outcompeting other top teams across 38 games, like we have the last 2 seasons, and then playing and beating the likes of Dortmund, Inter and AC Milan, than there is in beating 1 or 2 top teams (plus 3 or 4 Barnsleys) across 6 matches.

we can do all that. Concentrate on the PL, CL and the Fa cup. We have the players, the manager. We just have to adopt the right mentality.

Ferguson would not have stood a hope in hell doing what he did back then now, Giggs would have gone to PSG.
He could for get getting Renaldohe would have joined City!

Last edited:
you are entitled to your own views but with rose complaining on air, difficulty getting toby to sign a new contract, our still paltry wages compared to clubs even beyond the top 4, i think the signs are there that we've pushed the envelope as far as we can.

west ham had a new stadium and so that Emirates Marketing Project and arsenal, heard many reasons to play football there but nothing about playing in a new stadium. its not like buying a new car or underpants.

keeping most of our players end of this season, champions league next season at the new white hart lane - isn't that a pretty good start even if we don't have trophies ?
You make a good counterargument!

Rose has been here years though, and has probably stagnated - not in terms of performance, but just motivational factors. We've seen delays in contract signatures before, I firmly believe based on nothing except gut that Toby will sign a new deal. Our wages are inferior, but every player knows the score when signing and if perform well are getting rewarded with contract improvements. Despite all the constant media talk about our inferior wages, the only player of significance to of left under the Poch tenure was Walker and that seems to of been a calculated sale that would have minimum impact on us.

As the majority of our squad and Poch have been together for some time, it surely is going to be exciting to play together in the new stadium. It looks fantastic, I cant remember a time in our league where so many neutral fans have complimented how good a new stadium looks. It might be a minor factor, but I believe players are looking forward to playing back there and coming back home.

And yes that is a good start for the new White Hart Lane, but again another trophyless season. Winning trophies might be overrated to some fans, but I have heard SO many players talk about how important it is to look back at their trophy cabinet after their career has ended and enjoy their silverware. We are running out of seasons to make excuses, or we will indeed have to accept a player exodus....

That was a few years in though, right?

It took him 3/4 seasons i think and he won the FA Cup. I was working in Manchester during that time and in his first couple of seasons he struggled, there were banners at the game saying " we want Fergie sacked" . The board stuck with him him as they say " the rest is history"

Just goes to show that there were macaronic fans about then as they are now. :)

Interesting, I didnt know Man U were an 'underdog' back then (thats not sarcyness, I was young at that time and always assumed Man U to be one of the biggest sides regardless of era)....
Utd have been famous for decades, but their world famous money machine really started under Ferguson and the Premier League. They had "serious relegation fears" when he joined and with good reason.

Back