• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mauricio-pochettino-gary-nevilles-manager-10430714

Mauricio Pochettino is Gary Neville's Manager of the Season, not Premier League winner Antonio Conte

Tottenham-Hotspurs-Argentinian-head-coa.jpg

Honestly, picking Conte as manager of the year shows how stupid pundits are.

He took a side that won the league the season before, spent more money that the cost of Spurs squad and managed to win the league in a season with no European football and an early exit from one of the domestic cups, add a lot of luck with lack of key injuries, his big accomplishment is winning the league with one of the expected title challengers???

If you asked every one of those pundits at the beginning of the season, if the following would be a surprise

1. Cheat$ki wins the league
2. Spurs locks 2nd place with two games to go, is unbeaten at home for entire season, has amazing GD and does all this without Kane for 7 weeks

Not single one would have bet on #2, the narrative of the sports media is just dreary now.

Poch has easily had the best managerial season relative to reasonable expectation, otherwise we might as well just call it league winning manager award.

winner of the league almost always gets it, don't they?
In some minds winning the league suggests you are the best manager. But upon reflection that's not always the case. But it usually is. But sometimes it's not. I'm slightly biased and think Poch is the best.

Honestly, picking Conte as manager of the year shows how stupid pundits are.

He took a side that won the league the season before, spent more money that the cost of Spurs squad and managed to win the league in a season with no European football and an early exit from one of the domestic cups, add a lot of luck with lack of key injuries, his big accomplishment is winning the league with one of the expected title challengers???

If you asked every one of those pundits at the beginning of the season, if the following would be a surprise

1. Cheat$ki wins the league
2. Spurs locks 2nd place with two games to go, is unbeaten at home for entire season, has amazing GD and does all this without Kane for 7 weeks

Not single one would have bet on #2, the narrative of the sports media is just dreary now.

Poch has easily had the best managerial season relative to reasonable expectation, otherwise we might as well just call it league winning manager award.
Sorry but that doesn't mean anything. Plenty of sides spend a load of money and don't win the league. It's a tough thing to do whether you have money or not, having a load of superstars brings its own problems. Winning things is the hardest thing to do, nearly winning a cup or coming second in the league isn't as difficult to do - winning the league is the ultimate step regardless of whether you have Chelseas spending power or Spurs limitations....

Sorry but that doesn't mean anything. Plenty of sides spend a load of money and don't win the league. It's a tough thing to do whether you have money or not, having a load of superstars brings its own problems. Winning things is the hardest thing to do, nearly winning a cup or coming second in the league isn't as difficult to do - winning the league is the ultimate step regardless of whether you have Chelseas spending power or Spurs limitations....

Come on mate, at the beginning of the season, everyone would have put the title as a two horse race - Cheat$ki & City, so Conte won a two horse race where the other horse didn't show up. It is much harder for Spurs to finish 2nd than Cheat$ki to finish 1st.

Success has to be measured vs. what the target was at the beginning of season

- For Conte, it would have been win the league
- For Poch, it would have been top 4

One achieved, one over-achieved.

Come on mate, at the beginning of the season, everyone would have put the title as a two horse race - Cheat$ki & City, so Conte won a two horse race where the other horse didn't show up. It is much harder for Spurs to finish 2nd than Cheat$ki to finish 1st.

Success has to be measured vs. what the target was at the beginning of season

- For Conte, it would have been win the league
- For Poch, it would have been top 4

One achieved, one over-achieved.
I know what you're saying, but to win the league is still the toughest thing to do. You cited City as favourites with Chelsea yet look how far away they've ended up, so not quite as easy to execute. Having the expectation of winning is a difficult thing to deal with week in week out, and to achieve the PL title in first season isn't easy. I have nothing but admiration for Poch, but plenty of clubs over achieve. I know I'm repeating here but winning the league is the toughest thing to do and if Conte does win it I wouldn't argue with the decision....

Sorry you are being pedantic. Yes of course winning the title is the ultimate one of the main reasons it's so difficult for a club like Spurs is because mostly these days to do so you have to break through the moneyed clubs like Chelsea. Aside from the Leicester last season the title has generally gone to the big spenders. Same with other trophies.

That's why last season's Leicester win was universally acknowledged as a miracle unlike Chelsea's this season. The other thing of course is the cost to the winners of the trophies when they are outside the elite. The difficulty is not just to win but to defend your win and to then maintain your competitiveness in other competitions.

Surely you are not saying the chance of winning the league is the same when you can spend a billion pounds to win as opposed to a few million?

Coach of the year is for me, not just about the coach who wins things especially when he starts from such a high base, but who performs so much higher than the expectations of their club. Now there is a big case for Conte because it was his first season and his team underperformed last season. But Chelsea have been here before and not in the distant past. No Spurs manager in the Pl era has even got close to what Poch has achieved so there is equally a big case for him.

I know what you're saying, but to win the league is still the toughest thing to do. You cited City as favourites with Chelsea yet look how far away they've ended up, so not quite as easy to execute. Having the expectation of winning is a difficult thing to deal with week in week out, and to achieve the PL title in first season isn't easy. I have nothing but admiration for Poch, but plenty of clubs over achieve. I know I'm repeating here but winning the league is the toughest thing to do and if Conte does win it I wouldn't argue with the decision....

They don't, very few do. It sounds like you are trying to belittle his achievements.

Last edited:
They don't, very few do. It sounds like you are trying to belittle his achievements.
No way am I, I love what Poch has done for us. Yes plenty of teams do overachieve, ours is more noticeable because we are operating in the higher bracket of the league - there are plenty of others who punch well above their weight. Chelsea have many factors in their favour to win the league, but it still takes a momentous effort to do it. If Poch wins I wouldn't argue with it, but to dismiss Conte's achievements (could win the double) because of the resources available to him is wrong. Winning things is the hardest thing to do, and at the moment we are nothing more than nearly men....

No way am I, I love what Poch has done for us. Yes plenty of teams do overachieve, ours is more noticeable because we are operating in the higher bracket of the league - there are plenty of others who punch well above their weight. Chelsea have many factors in their favour to win the league, but it still takes a momentous effort to do it. If Poch wins I wouldn't argue with it, but to dismiss Conte's achievements (could win the double) because of the resources available to him is wrong. Winning things is the hardest thing to do, and at the moment we are nothing more than nearly men....

I would have to agree with this sadly, hopefully we will win something next season and then its up and onwards.

I just choked on my coffee.

Back