• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

cobblers. I was hoping that we would not end up having this discussion for the umpteenth time :rolleyes:
Thing is though; at any given time there's always a handful of particularly controversial issues that concern the fans of any club (it's not just Spurs). Right now for us those would be:
  • Young age of the team
  • What to do with midfield
  • Number of strikers
  • Adebayor
  • The stadium
  • The chairman is an ass-clown for the following reasons: [INSERT REASONS HERE] (this one is common to all clubs)
And there's probably a couple I've overlooked. Apart from the stadium discussion (which is distinct enough from everything else to pretty much stay in its own thread) you just have to accept that eventually every thread on the board will gravitate to one of those topics. Those are the things that have our collective blood boiling at the moment, so those are the things we'll end up talking about given half a chance.

Who'd be a forum admin, eh?

Agree with all of that but differ on the Dier situation. having been at both the games so far I would say Dier has been good in both games and could become the missing link we are looking for.

I actually agree with that too in some regard, i thought he looked weak in pre season but looked good this season; however it's more the leadership, the experience, the person who could've helped bentaleb against Man U, maybe helped the team a little when we conceded against them, who could see Stoke overrunning us and done something about. He's talented, but just feel we need something more in that middle!!

Thing is though; at any given time there's always a handful of particularly controversial issues that concern the fans of any club (it's not just Spurs). Right now for us those would be:
  • Young age of the team
  • Number of strikers
  • Adebayor
  • The stadium
  • The chairman is an ass-clown for the following reasons: [INSERT REASONS HERE] (this one is common to all clubs)
And there's probably a couple I've overlooked. Apart from the stadium discussion (which is distinct enough from everything else to pretty much stay in its own thread) you just have to accept that eventually every thread on the board will gravitate to one of those topics. Those are the things that have our collective blood boiling at the moment, so those are the things we'll end up talking about given half a chance.

I know. I am half joking but a discussion about the midfield and particularly one saying Bentaleb and Mason was obvious catnip for @parklane1 and @GrimsbyYid :)

I actually agree with that too in some regard, i thought he looked weak in pre season but looked good this season; however it's more the leadership, the experience, the person who could've helped bentaleb against Man U, maybe helped the team a little when we conceded against them, who could see Stoke overrunning us and done something about. He's talented, but just feel we need something more in that middle!!

I still want us to sign a proper CM player but until we do/have then Dier is better then the alternatives we have at the moment and who knows he could turn out to be a star there.

• Young age of the team
  • Number of strikers
  • Adebayor
  • The stadium

Can I throw my own personal fave - inverted bastard wingers - in please?!?!?!?

I don't know about others, but that's not the primary reason I'm criticising Pochettino's decisions against Stoke (and remember - I think it was an uncharacteristic mistake from a generally good manager; I'm not slating the guy as a disaster or anything).

I accept that Kane probably had to come off. He's too valuable to us (especially until we get in back-up / competition) to risk - if he felt a slight strain at 65 minutes when we are 2-0 up, then I also would have taken him off and put an ice-pack on the leg. That's fair enough. But our midfield was already coming under serious pressure at that point - Ireland had been on the pitch for a few minutes and - if you remember - he made an instant impact. We were starting to go onto the back foot.

In my view we needed to shore up the midfield at that point. The match was screaming for it. Watching the momentum shift, I was almost screaming for it. It was one of those occasions (I felt) where the correct tactical decision was obvious.

Instead, over the course of 4 minutes, he made a like-for-like switch up top (and in doing so, was replacing our best player with someone who - charitably - is not on form) and took off our stand-out most solid midfielder (and I'm not Mason's biggest fan on the board - but he was having a great game on Saturday; gave me hope for the lad) and replaced him with someone who didn't have the best of games last week.

What he should have done was replace Kane with Bentaleb; put Chadli up top, Eriksen out left and use Bentaleb, Mason and Dier to pack the midfield. We were already 2-0 by that point. The substitutions he made were ineffective; but it's not (just) a case of bad performances from the players... even if Lamela and Bentaleb had played fairly well, I'm not sure how those changes were ever likely to address the Stoke threat in midfield.

Again; I'm a big Pochettino fan. But I'm not going to pretend the guy walks on water and never makes a mistake. Bringing off Mason was a mistake. Failing to address the new Stoke threat in midfield was a mistake.

I didn't see the game in real time, so I can't comment on what my thoughts would have been at the time. The points you've made are fair, but I would bet my house on it that if Poch explained his thinking to you or anyone else on this board just before he made the changes, 99.9% of people would have said 'yeh, that makes sense'.

If Bentaleb had come on and totally nullified Ireland as he may have been asked to, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But again, we have no idea a) what Bentaleb was asked to do or b) how well he carried out the instructions.

Regarding Mason, I can only think that since he's just back from injury, Poch may have felt he would run out of steam.

No they weren't. Last season we were atrocious in defence and created nothing in attack, relying on eriksen and kane to score worlds and win games when we didn't deserve it.

Both of these things I blame "our best pairing", they don't protect our defence enough, and they don't link to the attacking 4 enough. Because they're similar, because they're not quite good (mason) or consistent (Bentaleb) enough.

With a much better central midfield our defence would be stronger, and hopefully we'd create more.

Not playing Bentaleb and mason together makes the most sense to me out of all of Poch's awful decisions. Just a shame we're playing a 20 year old centre back in midfield. Not ideal.

Seem to recall we had similar fears with AVB and Sherwood in charge, really hope Poch learns from his mistakes. I do fear for him if we lose the next game and continue this slow start.

Seem to recall we had similar fears with AVB and Sherwood in charge, really hope Poch learns from his mistakes. I do fear for him if we lose the next game and continue this slow start.

Indeed. Under AVB, without Bale, we were so toothless in attack. Such a boring brand of football. I too see similarities between him and Poch but I do think Poch is a better coach.

He needs to get his first win of the season otherwise the next home game will be tense to say the least.

Indeed. Under AVB, without Bale, we were so toothless in attack. Such a boring brand of football. I too see similarities between him and Poch but I do think Poch is a better coach.

He needs to get his first win of the season otherwise the next home game will be tense to say the least.

He does

Where the fudge is Njie and Proctahrd? Our bench is embracing today, embarassing. And no cobblers about Njie just joining, he's been here all week, Newcast;e had Thauvin on the bench! Fact is, we don't have the luxury of bedding these players in, we have nothing on th bench to turn this game around, NJie is that something different that could, Pricthard too. Again, he isn't injured, Poch has named him in the squads to pick from, he is fit, but nothing. Instead Onomah who has potential but preseason showed he was well out of his depth, and Carroll, bang averagege.

Last season I was excited with Poch, then I saw the way we played, and more worrying his awful awful decisions. And this season, again was excited to see HIS TEAM, but again, his decision making is so fudging amateur. And again, slowest build up imaginable, no creativity, and persisting with what must be the weakest midfield in the league!!!! And what do we have to bring on? No striker and just loads of midfielders, none of which are particularly attacking, creative players...

I thought i last year, it's starting disastrously, I really think we have an awful manager.

But I still think we should give him the whole season whatever happens, we need stability, but it's heartbreaking watching this team, this squad and his tactics and decision....

i am going to say it ... POCH IS CLUELESS AT THE MOMENT.

maybe he is doing an AVB and trying to make Levy take notice of the need for better players, but whatever he is putting out on the pitch, it ain't convincing enough.

Where the fudge is Njie and Proctahrd? Our bench is embracing today, embarassing. And no cobblers about Njie just joining, he's been here all week, Newcast;e had Thauvin on the bench! Fact is, we don't have the luxury of bedding these players in, we have nothing on th bench to turn this game around....
No hugging on the bench please

Back