• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Eriksen could've put us one up; Dembele flagged offside when through on goal. Fine margins. We only lost because we basically decided to turn around on the half way line and walk the ball into our own net.

Thats the frustrating part of yesterday's game, not much else to moan about really. Of course the mispalced passes were frustrating during the match, but hopefully that will be ironed out. This 'journalist' quoted above seems to forget we were playing Man Utd away, and not the Lower Piddlington Catholic River Wideners Association Second 11 at home. The opinions he seems to report as common knowledge, such as Dembele's best position being through the centre, are at best widely debated amongst Spurs fans too.

Erisekn could've put us one up; Dembele flagged offside when through on goal. Fine margins. We only lost because we basically decided to turn around on the half way line and walk the ball into our own net.

Thats the frustrating part of yesterday's game. This 'journalist' quoted above seems to forget we were playing Man Utd away, and not the Lower Piddlington Catholic River Wideners Association Second 11 at home. The opinions he seems to report as common knowledge, such as Dembele's best position being through the centre, are at best widely debated amongst Spurs fans too.

It was written by a blogger not a journalist. Unfortunately, he seems to be making a lot of noise to try and get noticed but doesn't have much to say.

I would agree - definitely think this guy Harris is way OTT

Having said that he does raise some points about the lack of flexibility and the apparent low impact of key coaching interventions - especially the pressing game.

Look at Utd pressing before Bentaleb's mistake... each player is perfectly positioned; that has been coached into them by Van Gaal. How often do you see us so solid?

Of course, it could be that the quality of players is that much better and they are more capable of doing this than we are.. but in that case, why persist with it?

View attachment 2411

To be honest, if Dele Alli could position himself as well as Schweinstieger then i think we'd all be shocked. We'd also be shocked if Dier showed as much nous as Schneiderlin in the centre on his first competitive game in that position.

Why persist with it? Because we're young and learning and developing perhaps? What else is there to do with young players apart from 'persist with it'? What other options are there?

we do need to open up more in the attacking third. Also we need width not just from the full backs but from the wide attackers too. We are too compact

Well.......yesterday, for a start. We were very solid.

Utd created even less than we did.

True. ManU only had 1 shots on target, compared with 4 on target by us. This was a match we should have won ! But Pochettino again failed to beat a big team away ! Remember, we got thrashed by ManCity, Chelsea and ManU away last season. Not sure if Pochettino has the right mentality and strategy to beat big teams away.

To be fair it raises some interesting points. The high pressing, high line, inverted wingers, double pivots etc have been around for a few years now and football runs in cycles. Many teams are playing a more expansive game now, defensive positions are becoming better drilled and maybe the era of those tactics taking teams to trophies is dying out. I can't think of any top teams that regularly only use them now, perhaps for part of a match yes but you need to adapt 3/4 times in a match to deal with the flow of it and I rarely see us doing that.

We look very rigid, no width, too compact and not enough pace, penetration or deep running from midfield. These are all hallmarks of what AVB was derided for.

To be fair it raises some interesting points. The high pressing, high line, inverted wingers, double pivots etc have been around for a few years now and football runs in cycles. Many teams are playing a more expansive game now, defensive positions are becoming better drilled and maybe the era of those tactics taking teams to trophies is dying out. I can't think of any top teams that regularly only use them now, perhaps for part of a match yes but you need to adapt 3/4 times in a match to deal with the flow of it and I rarely see us doing that.

We look very rigid, no width, too compact and not enough pace, penetration or deep running from midfield. These are all hallmarks of what AVB was derided for.
Disagree with the last part mate, at different times we had ChadLi, Eriksen and Dembele running in from midfield. Pace and width usually comes from our full backs but rose was not playing today and I think we missed him.

True. ManU only had 1 shots on target, compared with 4 on target by us. This was a match we should have won ! But Pochettino again failed to beat a big team away ! Remember, we got thrashed by ManCity, Chel53a and ManU away last season. Not sure if Pochettino has the right mentality and strategy to beat big teams away.
Don't get your posts mate. Under which manager were we beating the big teams away regularly? I have never seen us comprehensively beat both Arsenal and Chelsea as we did at home last season.

Disagree with the last part mate, at different times we had ChadLi, Eriksen and Dembele running in from midfield. Pace and width usually comes from our full backs but rose was not playing today and I think we missed him.
Alli certainly looks the type of player to join in the running from deep too

we do need to open up more in the attacking third. Also we need width not just from the full backs but from the wide attackers too. We are too compact
Our wide attackers, Townsend aside, seem to prefer to cut in rather than cross the ball from the byline.

I'm finding hard to tell the difference between AVB and Poch tactics. This whole rush the CBs to as wide as they can malarkey and high line tells me that these uefa badges are brick and its teaching everyone to coach the fricken same.

True. ManU only had 1 shots on target, compared with 4 on target by us. This was a match we should have won ! But Pochettino again failed to beat a big team away ! Remember, we got thrashed by ManCity, Chel53a and ManU away last season. Not sure if Pochettino has the right mentality and strategy to beat big teams away.

But surely the fact that we got trashed, but were unlucky to lose yesterday shows improvement in this regard? What I saw was an improvement on last season, in terms of defensive solidarity and team shape away against a top-four team. We contained them and were unlucky to lose. Plus, i was worried after the last two games versus Man U, that LVG had Poch sussed and just used long-balls to counter the high-press. But I was pleased to see that Poch had learnt from facing Man U and countered this with the team shape. Beating a big team away is tough. It's not because of Poch we fail to beat big teams away, it's because they have better teams than us anyway and playing infront of their own fans is an advantage. We beat a big team away once every 5 years or so, regardless of who is managing us.

Can't understand any complaints aimed at Poch after yesterday. We were set out in a very good shape, we contained UTD and we created enough opportunities to score. What lost it for us was individual errors, not just a lost pass but players not releasing the ball at the right times or something like Eriksen's failed lob. There were occasions where Kane wanted way too many touches and times when he went for goal when a pass was the better option. If we had had the couple of key signings we need in the team and the game being a bit later in the season, I'd think we'd have won.

PS: I think the reason all these coaches work the same way is because it's been found that certain solutions work better. We move to a back three because it's easier to retain possession and move the ball forward.

Some natives are getting restless....

'SAFE' POCHETTINO WILL BE GONE BY DECEMBER
August 09, 2015 / Ben Harris

Spurs losing at Old Trafford is hardly a 'stop the press' moment, but perhaps Mauricio Pochettino's lack of killer instinct is!!
Aside from a promising opening twenty minutes yesterday lunch time, this Spurs performance was a carbon copy of what was served up the whole of last season. Safe, predictable and ultimately toothless!

Most will point to an unremarkable transfer window thus far and an obvious lack of urgency in signing at least one new striker and although that view is completly valid, I believe Spurs' bigger issue is the mentality of the manager, his reluctance to open his team up and his lack of ability to adapt to the game in front of him!!

We could've had seven strikers sat on the bench yesterday. The truth of the matter is Pochettino would've still played with just one!!

Manchester United were there for the taking. Louis van Gaal will wake up this morning, thankful it was Spurs his unconvincing side had the fortune to come up against on the opening day. Another team, another manger and I think you're looking at another result!.

Why was Kyle Walker on the pitch? You've recruited a superior player in Kieran Trippier in all aspects of his game. Superior defender, superior on the ball and superior delivery!!

He leaves our record signing on the bench in favour of Moussa Dembele, who clearly is better deployd through the middle of the park, to occupy an inverted wide-right role!! I'm no fan of Erik Lamela either, but if you're going to persist with the guy, surely you play him in a position he's at the very least comfortable in!?

The stand-out performer in Spurs THREE pre-season matches was Dele Alli. Young, hungry and with a swagger beyond his years. A player briming with confidence off the back of teaching the excellent Luka Modric a thing or two about a nut-meg - is left out in favour of a centre half [Eric Dier] trying his best to be Claude Makelele!!

It's history repeating itself. Remember AVB... of course you do, how could you forget!?

The similarities between Pochettino and Villas-Boas aren't just coincidental. Both have the inability to adapt to what's happening in front of them. Both are transfixed on a possession based style that offers no cutting edge. Both refuse to open up the pitch and use wide players. Both are too regimented in their footballing philosophies and both lack the ability to deal with egos, whilst in-turn failing to get the best from their senior players.

Both will also have similar durations as Spurs head coach, unless the current incumbent starts to adapt his style, to suit that of the club he leads!!

The 'it's not his team yet' argument is wearing very thin now too. The clue is very much in the Argentine's job title 'Head Coach'

Pochettino has been in his role for over a year. His original brief was to coach an expensive group of underachievers and make them better. He hasn't!

[like AVB] Pochettino has been totally reliant on one man. Harry Kane has taken the mantel of Gareth Bale with the perfect timing we've all come to expect.

Compare the impact of Pochettino to that of Alan Pardew at Crystal Palace. In half the time, Pardew has managed to turn relegation fodder into a hard working disciplined side with width, plenty of pace, a creative spark in the centre of the pitch and options in attack. All on a budget and all from an unfashionable club and manger.

It's for the very same reasons, Pardew's Palace will exceed their potential, that Pochettino's Spurs will fail to live up to theirs!

Fortune favours the brave... and some decent coaching!!

If people are sharpening their knives for Poch, then they can sharpen away. Every team has macaron fans and if they think the coach is the problem, they need their head checked.

I hadn't even read that before I post, my last post above.. I don't remember being that worried with this high line malarkey last season. Although we played ok yesterday, it did bring back the awful memories of those big defeats by City, Liverpool etc under AVB with the splitting CBs and high line. The tactic gives me bad dreams I guess and I am scarred for life after AVB. The weird thing is I don't remember Poch playing this at Southampton.

Back