• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Says who?

I think if form (in performance and results) continues like it is, it is inevitable he goes.

If the crowd turns, I think its inevitable he goes. And if performances continue like this - what chance the crowd still back him come May? (If we have a bad one tomorrow, and lose to Sheffield Utd at home - how will the crowd be at the weekend?!)

I think for Poch to survive this spell we need to be seeing rather immediate changes in the team, and his management of it - issues need to be clearly addressed - else it only ends one way (IMO).
I haven't seen any evidence of the crowd turning on Pochettino yet. That is especially the case away from home (where we have been poorer) At Goodison on Sunday we were all very vocal in our support of the manager (I guess because for 80% of the time Poch has been at Spurs us away fans have never had it so good).

Honestly dont feel good about the Sheff Utd game, they are everything we are not at the moment and I suspect a home upset from them.

West Ham is a horrible game as well.

Bournemouth I fully expect to win, we pretty much always do. Its one of the reasons Im no fan of Howe managing us (yet), he needs to learn to adapt. Instead he just opens up every time against us and gets beaten well (yes Im aware we lost 1-0 in our last game)
That has to rank as the worst 1-0 win ever though (against 10 men for most of the game and 9 men for half of it).

I haven't seen any evidence of the crowd turning on Pochettino yet. That is especially the case away from home (where we have been poorer) At Goodison on Sunday we were all very vocal in our support of the manager (I guess because for 80% of the time Poch has been at Spurs us away fans have never had it so good).

Not saying they have, only that if they do - I think Levy would follow shortly.

All the while the crowd are on side he can give Poch time. When they turn, usually its game over.

I think in general away fans are generally more supportive, takes more of an effort to travel all over to watch the team.

When Im thinking of the crowd turning I am thinking more at home, if the full crowd at WHL starts booing itll be impossible to ignore.

I don't buy the idea that in 5 years of management there was never the money to buy a passing capable CM. We spent 30 fudging mill on Sissoko for GHod's sake.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk
Playmakers, good ones of the ilk of Eriksen do not grow on trees and are not cheap.

This is Poch's fault, he never built a squad to cope with an injured or out of form Eriksen. He had to play for us to create any sort of chances and now he's in a funk Poch really doesn't know how to work around that.

Ndombele is a great start but I really don't think Poch beloved in creative CMs as much as we would hope. Until Ndombele he's never even attempted to add any quality to CM and this season where are struggling particularly in attack he's chosen not to select Ndombele and Lo Celso on multiple occasions.

He's seems stuck in a rut and trying out what worked previously, without taking into account the change in those player's circumstances and age. You can't keep trying the same and just hope that "maybe this time it will work"

To be fair to Poch here it seems that he wanted us to buy Grealish in transfer window 18/19 (I assume to start moulding into Eriksen's replacement). It seems that he also wanted Fernandes (or Dybala) in the last transfer window but Spurs couldn't get the deal over the line. It is very difficult to replace special players as there are very few of them about. Eriksen was (with an emphasis on the past tense) a special player for us. It would be brilliant if we can get a deal for one of those two mentioned players over the line in January.

Our form since Jan has been bottom 5 form.

Our xG trend since around 6 months before that has been terrible and worsening over that time.

Just as I'm sure when people were posting about how good our long term form was a couple of years ago, you would have told the halfwits that believe form only counts between two arbitrary dates, I'm sure you understand the value of longer term trends in sport. Our trend should be worrying to any fan.

this all completely omits the context that we were also making a run to the CL final, which has an emotional and physical toll, particularly on squads over achieving to get there. It wasn’t so long ago Poch was getting praised for getting results with basically ‘no midfield’. With Dele in and out of the side, with Kane missing for the last 2 months, with Dier ill for a year, with no Lamela for the last 3 months at least.

this is why when people say, take the seasons as they are and appreciate the context. Sure, if you’re only looking at League form and ignoring we made the final of the biggest club competition in the world, things look very different to what they actually were.

Not saying they have, only that if they do - I think Levy would follow shortly.

All the while the crowd are on side he can give Poch time. When they turn, usually its game over.

I think in general away fans are generally more supportive, takes more of an effort to travel all over to watch the team.

When Im thinking of the crowd turning I am thinking more at home, if the full crowd at WHL starts booing itll be impossible to ignore.
I agree with your first statement (Levy probably wouldn't turn until the crowd did - unless relegation became a real option and then I think he would panic).

But not always with your second statement. George Graham for instance was far more accepted by the home fans than us away fans. There were several others as well that got it in the neck more from the away fans - Gerry Francis and Santini are two examples that I can think of.

Considering your last sentence there though - I reckon that the crowd at new WHL will be far less forgiving than old WHL. Firstly we're paying the highest prices in the country by quite a portion, secondly we have a number of new ST holders who have probably only really seen comparatively good times compared to our recent(ish) history.

I agree with your first statement (Levy probably wouldn't turn until the crowd did - unless relegation became a real option and then I think he would panic).

But not always with your second statement. George Graham for instance was far more accepted by the home fans than us away fans. There were several others as well that got it in the neck more from the away fans - Gerry Francis and Santini are two examples that I can think of.

Considering your last sentence there though - I reckon that the crowd at new WHL will be far less forgiving than old WHL. Firstly we're paying the highest prices in the country by quite a portion, secondly we have a number of new ST holders who have probably only really seen comparatively good times compared to our recent(ish) history.

Ill take your word on the crowd. Always held the impression away support was more... 'supportive', and so generally consider the home support the key factor. Not least because there are more of them as well.

Theres two points on Levy sacking Poch, for me:

1) I think there will be a more pragmatic limit for Levy, a "low" so to speak, that will trigger Pochs sacking if it were reached.

I think itll be less tangible than "lose x, y or z game" and probably more a relative decision - how far behind are we? how long to we have to catch back up? does it look like Poch is getting us going in the right direction?

There will come a point, IMO (if our form continues), where that calculation will be too far behind, just about enough time to get back, and no - not looking good.

At that point I think Levy will act.

2) The crowd turning on the team. I think that would probably expedite 1) and be the nail in the coffin.

I'd add 3) availablity of replacement.

Maybe?

Theres the obvious cases of Mourinho and Allegri being available, and whether you like either personally - their CVs are top tier and arguably either would be worth giving a chance.

After that - I cant help thinking we could attract any number of managers all the same. Even those in work.

We have a huge amount to offer anyone in footballing terms, and Poch is currently (I believe, at least) one of the highest paid managers around - so the whole deal is very enticing IMHO.

Posted the same on here the other week, travelling to all games i see a lot of fans and i hear none of the hysteria from them that i see on forums.

A day tripper JCL near us started piping up during the Watford game and was quickly put in his place by those around him - only instance I've seen of outspoken anti Poch sentiment at the ground, on the concourse it seems people will be turning on Levy for before they will Poch From what i can see

Playmakers, good ones of the ilk of Eriksen do not grow on trees and are not cheap.
To be fair to Poch here it seems that he wanted us to buy Grealish in transfer window 18/19 (I assume to start moulding into Eriksen's replacement). It seems that he also wanted Fernandes (or Dybala) in the last transfer window but Spurs couldn't get the deal over the line. It is very difficult to replace special players as there are very few of them about. Eriksen was (with an emphasis on the past tense) a special player for us. It would be brilliant if we can get a deal for one of those two mentioned players over the line in January.
I accept that Eriksen is not an easy player to replace as every top team in Europe is looking for such players, but I was talking about CMs who can pass not playmakers. In 5 years he never seriously tried to bring in a player of that ilk. So I have to lay that at his door because he did bring other CMs in but never a passer, never a creative player so I have to understand that to mean it was never a priority which leads us to the current situation.

I accept that Eriksen is not an easy player to replace as every top team in Europe is looking for such players, but I was talking about CMs who can pass not playmakers. In 5 years he never seriously tried to bring in a player of that ilk. So I have to lay that at his door because he did bring other CMs in but never a passer, never a creative player so I have to understand that to mean it was never a priority which leads us to the current situation.

Dele? NDombele? Grealish? He also probably thought he had one in Harry Winks who has gone backwards a bit in the last 9 months or so.

I'd add 4) How much will it cost me to sack him.

Actually don't think it seriously comes into play. People confuse Levy's money management with being cheap/stupid .. If he was just cheap he could have built the stadium for half the price.

Levy will never keep an underperforming manager in place (below whatever his line in the sand is) for purely money reasons.

Dele? NDombele? Grealish? He also probably thought he had one in Harry Winks who has gone backwards a bit in the last 9 months or so.
Dele isn't a CM and frankly his passing in the middle is bog standard. Winks is an ok passer but that's it even at his best.

Ndombele as I said earlier is a good start but one he should have looked into at least 3 years previous. It was this lack of a passing CM that meant we couldn't push on when he had us really singing, we lacked creativity apart from Eriksen and it cost us on the Leicester and Chelsea title winning seasons.

Back