• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

To be honest mate, it was a little OTT, frustration showing through ...

I do get it, we are all in the same boat, this club means more to us than can ever make sense and we all want the best in the way we think makes sense/logical or our ideals say.

And yes, if Poch turned around and ran off 10 victories the complaints would go away, but the same could be said if Jose came in and ran off 10 victories in a row.

As you say we are all frustrated and its something football fans live with, my old ladys have always shrugged their heads at my obsession with the game :). As it happens i would have no problem with Jose coming here ( if Pooch leaves) and have said that elsewhere, he is a winner and i am sure we will have use of our trophy cabinet again if he was to come.

One of my biggest regrets about Poch's time here is that we have not won anything, i am old school and believe/think that taking part in any sport is about winning and putting trophys on the shelf.

As you say we are all frustrated and its something football fans live with, my old ladys have always shrugged their heads at my obsession with the game :). As it happens i would have no problem with Jose coming here ( if Pooch leaves) and have said that elsewhere, he is a winner and i am sure we will have use of our trophy cabinet again if he was to come.

One of my biggest regrets about Poch's time here is that we have not won anything, i am old school and believe/think that taking part in any sport is about winning and putting trophys on the shelf.

After listening to the draw for the league cup, which I normally care little about, this morning over breakfast.
I felt so sad that my club are once again missing!
Couple that with our current eleventh place showing, I’m not a happy Spurs follower!

To me that's a big part, I identify in a way with the players more than manager there

- To me it was great that the King, Keane, Berbatov, Lennon generation of players won something with us
- I look at the side of Hugo, Toby, Jan, Rose, Lamela, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane and think, really? that squad will move on and we got nothing, they got nothing ...

And I'm sure someone will point out trophies aren't all there is, but those guys should have won something, and everyone knows it ...

To me that's a big part, I identify in a way with the players more than manager there

- To me it was great that the King, Keane, Berbatov, Lennon generation of players won something with us
- I look at the side of Hugo, Toby, Jan, Rose, Lamela, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane and think, really? that squad will move on and we got nothing, they got nothing ...

And I'm sure someone will point out trophies aren't all there is, but those guys should have won something, and everyone knows it ...

Could not agree more, never understood fans who consider the only thing worth winning is the Prem or CL. Upset a few on here over the years by suggesting that most of those who support that opinion have never had the thrill/high of ever winning anything at Sport.

They played in Champions League Final (something no one in a Spurs shirt has ever done) and couldn’t raise themselves to give a better performance. Winning the League Cup didn’t keep Berbatov or Keane the following season and it wouldn’t have been enough to keep these players, if that’s all we had aimed for the last few seasons. Spurs fans cannot have it both ways. It is difficult to stay competitive in every tournament we enter while also maintaining top 4 and progressing in the Champ League. Our squad is simply not as big or as good as Pool and City to do that.

Wasn’t a lack of effort in the CL final. Mix of bad luck, nerves and Liverpool’s impenetrable shape.

I think it is a very hard tournament to win in your first final. The English teams who have won it have also lost finals. The fact that we got there though is now being belittled as is everything to do with Poch’s reign.

They played in Champions League Final (something no one in a Spurs shirt has ever done) and couldn’t raise themselves to give a better performance. Winning the League Cup didn’t keep Berbatov or Keane the following season and it wouldn’t have been enough to keep these players, if that’s all we had aimed for the last few seasons. Spurs fans cannot have it both ways. It is difficult to stay competitive in every tournament we enter while also maintaining top 4 and progressing in the Champ League. Our squad is simply not as big or as good as Pool and City to do that.

But that's just it... we could have had it both ways. We had enough finals and semi-finals to have got that elusive trophy. Say what you want about Mou - he may be a passing bird but he sure as hell knows how to make teams win on the big occasions. We have often railed against commentators who have said that Poch has won nothing but it is true. He has never been able to take the team over that last elusive threshold, to get the team to make that last final push... even when we were at our best.

I am surprised that you feel like that as i have always thought your posts were mostly fair and thought out and very rarely ( if ever) resort to name calling. To be honest i do not know one fan on here or at games ( and i go to all of them) that does not see/believe that we are struggling at the moment.

But for many of the fans i know/meet at games consider that what Poch has done for us over the last 5 years deserves a bit more backing then what some fans seem to be doing now. I know football fans as a whole can be quick on wanting the change button activated ( look at how many times it has happened here over the decades) but on most occasions its done when there has been no progress as a whole, i think all fans can agree that we have seen massive progress over the time Poch has been here.

As i said we can all see that we are having a rough time at the moment but some believe that he is finished while others think he deserves a little more patience and time to sort it out.
What Poch has done in the past is of no relevance whatsoever. The only thing that matters is what he will do.

If he can achieve what we need he stays, if he can't he goes. The rest is just emotional nonsense.

However,the hallmark of a great manager is to manage in those "testing" circumstances. At present, by any metric, Poch is failing . As you say, those circumstances are now changing. That is why I personally would give Poch until Christmas to demonstrate he is at least going in the right direction. Sounds like you agree. Is that fair?

What Poch has done in the past is of no relevance whatsoever. The only thing that matters is what he will do.

If he can achieve what we need he stays, if he can't he goes. The rest is just emotional nonsense.

That is a fair enough comment, however some of us feel ( and the majority at games i have met) that he needs to be given more time before that happens. The rest is childish panic.

I don’t want Mourinho, but there must be a reason why he wins big games and Poch doesn’t. And no I don’t think it’s all down to bad luck or money as there are too many examples of it for that not to be the case. For me, we freeze in big games under Poch. I can’t think of one big whether that’s a semi final, final etc where we have lost and I came away after thinking we were unlucky there.

I don’t want Mourinho, but there must be a reason why he wins big games and Poch doesn’t. And no I don’t think it’s all down to bad luck or money as there are too many examples of it for that not to be the case. For me, we freeze in big games under Poch. I can’t think of one big whether that’s a semi final, final etc where we have lost and I came away after thinking we were unlucky there.

I think there were a few where we conceded in unexpected and unlikely circumstances, but I still felt in those games that we had the talent to overcome the set back but mentally “bottled it”.

Cup semi’s against United and Chelsea, the CL final, every league game we’ve lost since last Christmas.

That is a fair enough comment, however some of us feel ( and the majority at games i have met) that he needs to be given more time before that happens. The rest is childish panic.
He's been fudging up since at least January last year, I'd say probably further.

He's shown no signs of improvement - most would probably say that we're getting worse.

The tone of (the vast majority) of this discussion reminds me why I spend far too much of my time on this site. It remains one of the very best corners of the internet.

I think there were a few where we conceded in unexpected and unlikely circumstances, but I still felt in those games that we had the talent to overcome the set back but mentally “bottled it”.

Cup semi’s against United and Chelsea, the CL final, every league game we’ve lost since last Christmas.

This for me as well, i got a lot of stick a while back for saying our team lack a "winning mentally" but its been obvious that we do. I dare say there will still be some who still do not see that.

What Poch has done in the past is of no relevance whatsoever.
Well no not exactly. Past performance is an indicator of how someone could perform in the future. It is an important factor in the appointment of any successor and the reason why Poch gets the benefit of the doubt from some fans and a chairman as tough as Daniel Levy.

Well no not exactly. Past performance is an indicator of how someone could perform in the future. It is an important factor in the appointment of any successor and the reason why Poch gets the benefit of the doubt from some fans and a chairman as tough as Daniel Levy.
It's far less useful as a predictor for future performance than current performance is.

Back