• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Ultimately, we have Watford next.
It is a huge game.
Watford will fancy this.
If we are professional and good we can take them to the cleaners and make a statement.

If we are professional and good we can take them to the cleaners and make a statement.

That really is the million $ question, isnt it?

My hope is that the international break saved the day.

I think if the games kept coming thick and fast after Brighton things were only going to get worse.

Poch has had two weeks, and a sunny break (with football people!) to take stock. I hope he comes back with a plan, with some drive, and with an understanding of what will work.

The players have had a chance to refresh. Change of scenery. Good results (generally) to bring good vibes. And, hopefully, have also taken stock. A long hard look at themselves, and perhaps even the manager, so they can come in and be constructive.

I assume they are back tomorrow? That gives only a few days to pull something together for Watford.

I think Watford will be very telling, one way or another.

In the recent past? The brick he served up at utd or Chelsea the second time?
Two clubs that have way out spent us and have come from a more solid base.

Again he delivered results at both of those clubs (results that we have not been close to), I suspect the Chelsea time was slightly more entertaining than the Untied time because they have a dysfunctional squad (proven post his time).

This is just a directional question, if we move on from Poch do we want

- Immediate results including trophies and potentially leveraging this generation of the squad to do so? If the answer is yes, Jose is as close to a guarantee as you can get in world football.
- Are we up for another "project", accepting we will likely not see Kane, Son, Dele in a winning Spurs squad and set up the risk that in the interim one or more of Scum/United/Chelsea get their brick together and make our future progress even harder than it is?

Serious question, you had to bet your house on one of the two below scenarios

- Jose comes in now, Spurs wins FA Cup this season, we get top 4 place
- We stick with Poch, Spurs wins FA Cup this season, we get top 4 place

There is only one answer for me, and I can't see at this point how any Spurs fan would actually bet on scenario 2.

Of all the posters on here you are the one that I would have thought wouldn't be surprised at the team stalling.
All the signs that it was probably going to happen were there, limited fresh players, current players aging, losing commitment, injuries catching up.
Poch, and the players, deserve credit for so far getting us through it.

Is poch and the brick football of the last season any worse than the brick football that Jose would have served up?
Jose's teams are boring, but they always dominate the opposition. The thing we absolutely didn't look at any point last season (bar a couple of matches) was dominant. We won some games, plenty that we shouldn't have, but we rarely played like a top team.

Poch is the manager. All of those problems you've listed are his to deal with, all of them could/should have been foreseen and a top manager has strategies in place to deal with them.

What do we make of these rumours regarding Poch sounding out the UTD job?

If true, then I'd rather he walk now than waste any more of our time.

found it

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...news-Manchester-United-Duncan-Castles-rumours

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino decides he wants to leave for Man Utd job
Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly eyeing the Manchester United job.
By JOSHUA PECK
PUBLISHED: 07:42, Tue, Oct 15, 2019 | UPDATED: 07:46, Tue, Oct 15, 2019

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is targeting a new job and eyeing up Manchester United.

That’s according to transfer guru Duncan Castles with United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer under severe pressure.

The Red Devils have won just two of their first eight Premier League matches, leading to some calls for Solskjaer to be sacked.

Pochettino is also under pressure having seen Tottenham thrashed 7-2 by Bayern Munich before losing 3-0 at Brighton.

And Castles has explained that Pochettino is ready to leave Tottenham but wants to stay in England’s top tier.

Castles revealed on The Transfer Window Podcast: "The information I have from someone close to Pochettino is he has very much targeted a new job.

"In his head, he has made the decision he will be moving on from Tottenham Hotspur.

"I think it's dependent on how that finishes for him there, whether he sees out the season out or not.

"But he sees that he has run his course at Tottenham and is looking to move to a new club.

"And the club I'm told he is targeting at his next job is Manchester United."

Pochettino has regularly been linked with the managerial hot-seat at Old Trafford having impressed with Tottenham.

And Charlie Nicholas believes the Argentine may have a decision to make soon.

“The whole collapse of Tottenham has been the biggest surprise of the season for me,” Nicholas said.

“If this continues, while the Man Utd situation is ongoing, Pochettino could make that deadly switch.

“We know Sir Alex Ferguson is a big fan of the Tottenham manager, and United cannot afford to get it wrong again.

“The fallout at Tottenham is the biggest surprise for me.”

Pretty bold statement to make from Castles. Fancies himself as a man in the know too.

Again he delivered results at both of those clubs (results that we have not been close to), I suspect the Chelsea time was slightly more entertaining than the Untied time because they have a dysfunctional squad (proven post his time).

This is just a directional question, if we move on from Poch do we want

- Immediate results including trophies and potentially leveraging this generation of the squad to do so? If the answer is yes, Jose is as close to a guarantee as you can get in world football.
- Are we up for another "project", accepting we will likely not see Kane, Son, Dele in a winning Spurs squad and set up the risk that in the interim one or more of Scum/United/Chelsea get their brick together and make our future progress even harder than it is?

Serious question, you had to bet your house on one of the two below scenarios

- Jose comes in now, Spurs wins FA Cup this season, we get top 4 place
- We stick with Poch, Spurs wins FA Cup this season, we get top 4 place

There is only one answer for me, and I can't see at this point how any Spurs fan would actually bet on scenario 2.

Results with a far deeper squad and pockets.
And I'm not sure what you mean by not being close to.

Last edited:
Jose's teams are boring, but they always dominate the opposition. The thing we absolutely didn't look at any point last season (bar a couple of matches) was dominant. We won some games, plenty that we shouldn't have, but we rarely played like a top team.

Poch is the manager. All of those problems you've listed are his to deal with, all of them could/should have been foreseen and a top manager has strategies in place to deal with them.

Problems he has been highlighting for two years and that are outwith his remit.

I agree totally.
What's going on here;)

Problems he has been highlighting for two years and that are outwith his remit.
I disagree.

As people who have worked for me in the past know very well, pushing a problem up the chain and shrugging is not an acceptable form of management. Poch was recruited and required to work within certain parameters - it is not acceptable to fail and then claim it was someone else's fault.

This isn't managing a branch of McDonalds, this is elite management - Poch should be making problems go away.

I disagree.

As people who have worked for me in the past know very well, pushing a problem up The nickname that will never catch on and shrugging is not an acceptable form of management. Poch was recruited and required to work within certain parameters - it is not acceptable to fail and then claim it was someone else's fault.

This isn't managing a branch of McDonalds, this is elite management - Poch should be making problems go away.

He's been trying to make the problem go away, unfortunately nobody wants them and we can't get replacements.

He's been trying to make the problem go away, unfortunately nobody wants them and we can't get replacements.

So he has failed?

IMO he should work out a deal with Levy and resign, give Levy an ultimatum not let it drift.

The current situation, looking admitedly form the outside, will just drift until enough poor results get him fired.
Grow some Poch!

Last edited:
I disagree.

As people who have worked for me in the past know very well, pushing a problem up The nickname that will never catch on and shrugging is not an acceptable form of management. Poch was recruited and required to work within certain parameters - it is not acceptable to fail and then claim it was someone else's fault.

I still fail to understand how finishes of 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th are considered to be failure when operating the sixth biggest wage bill and probably not even top 10 net spend?

People are advocating Mourinho, after 6th, 2nd, 6th (and sacked) with the second highest transfer spend and biggest wage budget in the league?

Back