• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Tottenham Hotspur boss Mauricio Pochettino has told Football London that he didn’t necessarily mean that he was going to make major changes in January, after his comments on Tuesday.

Pochettino suggested that Tottenham were going to ‘fix’ their issues in January in midweek, which led to suggestions that mass changes were about to be made.

The comments may have come out of frustration, as Pochettino was speaking just after watching his Tottenham side knocked out of the League Cup by Colchester United.

And the Spurs boss has now taken a far more calm stance, ahead of the January window.

“Again, again, it's how you consider my words and, sorry sometimes I use words that maybe means different or I want to translate some feelings that don't arrive in the way I want to translate to you,” Pochettino said, apologising for not making himself more clear.

“I am happy, with the squad that we have and now we need to perform with the squad we have. That responsibility is mine, to create that dynamic for us all to be together and start to perform in the way that we want.”

Not quite that simple though is it. Semis and finals are often tight affairs and you have to be tactically spot on and outsmart your opposing coach. Put it this way playing Son LB or leaving out form player Moura for the final doesnt exactly help the teams chances in such events.....

Not advisable I grant you.

I can’t tell if Poch’s back and forth on things like this are some sort of plan, or just him wearing his heart on his sleeve and airing frustrations before going back on them when he’s in a calmer mood.

Or, you know, that English isn't his native tongue? You try speaking Spanish under pressure.

Not quite that simple though is it. Semis and finals are often tight affairs and you have to be tactically spot on and outsmart your opposing coach. Put it this way playing Son LB or leaving out form player Moura for the final doesnt exactly help the teams chances in such events.....

You do wonder if a core have lost belief in Po0ch's abaility to 'get things over the line' in terms of winning trophies and that combined with their physical state perhaps not being as able to cope with the rigorous famed training under Poch as they used to, has led to some of our limpness...

You do wonder if a core have lost belief in Po0ch's abaility to 'get things over the line' in terms of winning trophies and that combined with their physical state perhaps not being as able to cope with the rigorous famed training under Poch as they used to, has led to some of our limpness...

I really think Poch has actively tried to change it up, both in terms of allowing players the opportunity to explore moves, and also in terms of changing the tactics so that it isn’t all about pressing. If players decide they are not as up for it, but also can’t secure a better move for themselves, then frankly I have less than no sympathy for them. It almost makes me angry that certain players could start wavering in their commitment, downing tools or questioning the guy that offers them the opportunity to make a move and then welcomes them back into the squad.

Maybe Poch does need a new assistant to be a new voice, but he’s clearly switching up the tactics. He’s clearly tried to move players on. I almost don’t know what else he can really do.

I really think Poch has actively tried to change it up, both in terms of allowing players the opportunity to explore moves, and also in terms of changing the tactics so that it isn’t all about pressing. If players decide they are not as up for it, but also can’t secure a better move for themselves, then frankly I have less than no sympathy for them. It almost makes me angry that certain players could start wavering in their commitment, downing tools or questioning the guy that offers them the opportunity to make a move and then welcomes them back into the squad.

Maybe Poch does need a new assistant to be a new voice, but he’s clearly switching up the tactics. He’s clearly tried to move players on. I almost don’t know what else he can really do.

Some fair points

Who do people think is the players *allegedly* quoted as saying "same old message, same old training sessions"?

Surely it couldn't be Rose as:

a) he had the chance to leave
b) he is our very own rent-a-quote and not exactly shy at openly being a source of info
c) he'd not have played as much once Davies returned?

Possibly conveniently made up?

Who do people think is the players *allegedly* quoted as saying "same old message, same old training sessions"?

b) he is our very own rent-a-quote and not exactly shy at openly being a source of info

Id say one of the ones looking to leave, likely having fallen out with Poch. Someone disillusioned.

It narrows your options.

Im not sure Id take it as particularly damning, to be honest, people are petty when things dont go their way, arent they?

Though I do think it raises the question of how Poch can keep things fresh. And to be honest, I much prefer the option where Poch changes things up (tactics/assistants/methods) as opposed to his apparent preference of "I need a new set of players".

If it’s Jan it would just be so poor from him as a Vice Captain, but maybe it was. I just think Rose has form and knows that he wouldn’t want to get in the brick for saying something like this.

I also think this is slightly a storm in a teacup, the whole atmosphere around the club. Jack Pitt-Brooke is writing in The Athletic about how we haven’t pressed as much, the stats are down, and how Poch is saying we need to be more aggressive. But I think we are deliberately pressing less, and it just means that when we do go for the ball, we really need to push for it. We can’t let teams waltz through like the Greeks did for their first goal.

If it’s Jan it would just be so poor from him as a Vice Captain, but maybe it was. I just think Rose has form and knows that he wouldn’t want to get in the brick for saying something like this.

I also think this is slightly a storm in a teacup, the whole atmosphere around the club. Jack Pitt-Brooke is writing in The Athletic about how we haven’t pressed as much, the stats are down, and how Poch is saying we need to be more aggressive. But I think we are deliberately pressing less, and it just means that when we do go for the ball, we really need to push for it. We can’t let teams waltz through like the Greeks did for their first goal.

Yeah, our ability to effectively engage the opposition player or tackle has become so poor, since really April 2018 imo.

Routine turnover of players as a model is pretty unsustainable I think. The Fergie new eyes and voice approach is much better.

Might just be simply that getting an new opinion can open up avenues that haven't been thought of before, new methods, old message new voice etc. How often is he challenged, disagreed with, corrected?

The issue is that he's fiercly loyal to he's staff, and to the players so something has to give.

What it shows me is that some of them have failed him and are not up to it.

It also tells me that if he stays to build mkII he will step on his recruitment. The next squad he builds will be stronger mentally IMO. He has given this squad plenty of time and opportunity to win things, they have repeatedly come up short. It is why he has been trying to cycle some out IMO...

Well, well, well, look what we have here.....so let me get this right: you think it is possible that perhaps Pochettino in the past might not have been backed by the board, and that lack of backing might be part of he reason for our current issues?

And to think when others suggested such things in the past (or ANY discussion about Spurs overall that was in any way critical) you lambasted them for being such "stirrers", "negative", "children" etc....

Can i get a witness @Legohamster , @DubaiSpur

Too simplistic. Again, the BIGGEST issue was not moving players on/out when Poch wanted them to go. Some stuck around which is nobody’s fault.

Too simplistic. Again, the BIGGEST issue was not moving players on/out when Poch wanted them to go. Some stuck around which is nobody’s fault.

True, but tbf that in itself isn't the biggest cardinal sin a manger has had done to them. How many EVER get such wishes in full?
And it is in Poch's gift not to use them if he doesn't want to: he didn't have to play Wanyama last Saturday for example..
It is also within the club gift to push through such outward transfers, lowering prices, fees etc

Or, you know, that English isn't his native tongue? You try speaking Spanish under pressure.

I'm sure that doesn't help. But I think it's pretty clear that immediately after the Colchester game he was trying to make the point that we need further changes to the squad in order to get everyone settled and on the same page:

'We are working so hard to try and put on the same page. We need time, we are going to have time to fix that. January is going to be a good opportunity to try and fix this type of situation and sort it. Then the next transfer window, again.'

Whereas before Southampton he'd shifted his message, saying that he was happy with the squad and that it was his responsibility to get everyone settled:

'Again, again, it's how you consider my words and, sorry sometimes I use words that maybe means different or I want to translate some feelings that don't arrive in the way I want to translate to you. But I am happy, with the squad that we have and now we need to perform with the squad we have. That responsibility is mine, to create that dynamic for us all to be together and start to perform in the way that we want.'

No doubt it's harder to get his message across as a non-native speaker, but I think it's pretty clear that those two direct quotes are giving very different messages. And if anything I think he might use the language barrier as a crafty excuse at times!

Personally I think he just wears his heart on his sleeve, and has some very strong feelings about his and the club's situation at this point in time (positive and negative). I can certainly forgive him that if so, especially as it seems like his emotional nature can also be one of his strengths.

And I'm starting to get a sneaky feeling that we're gonna smash Southampton, and that we'll be on the up again from that point onwards.

Back