• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

We just lacked the motivation and intensity in that game which was restored against palace.

We also had no Jan and no eriksen I believe.

Last season the tail off was mainly due to incredible injuries and suspensions.

Quite possibly. Time will tell! I'm at WHL for Southampton and Bayern, and feeling hopeful.

For the purposes of tactical discussion i'd be very interested in people's view on what BOL posted earlier in this thread here: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/mauricio-pochettino.6336/page-1049#post-1236987

Is poch hitting a wall? Or is what we are going through labour pains before the birth of a new Spurs under Poch?

It could be that it's a bit of both. Certainly I think Poch's comments about the squad being unsettled indicate that that is part of the issue.

On the tactical rebirth though - it certainly seems as though Poch wants to push the diamond, and I can certainly believe that it's his attempt to innovate beyond the standard 4-2-3-1 like Conte, Guardiola and arguably Klopp have. My issue is that I think it's just a fundamentally bad system due to the lack of width (both in and out of possession), and that our players aren't good enough at the moment to play an obsessively possession-based game.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. What good examples of there are teams who've successfully played a diamond in recent years? Juventus a few years ago?

Can't prove it your way either.

You just have to choose the measure and apply it as best you can. That's what we're doing now and it's way better than what we had.

Here’s a thought. Go back to football. Clear daylight between attacker and defender, not half a fudging clownfoot ahead of a hair mop! The current offside rule is pathetic. Using VAR to determine it? Even more pathetic.

Either that or issue the players with tape measures and a pause button so as they can measure whether their armpit hair is ahead of the defender or not before pressing “play” again. Come to think of it, a great idea! We can stretch those moments out and sell an extra teeeveeee ad!!!

Poch is not doing a good job right now.

We know he has it in him, and I dont think there is anyone here not desperate for him to get back to his best.

As it stands though, he isnt doing what he should be doing. He seems distracted, he is allowing the squad to be unsettled, he is making weird decisions in selections/tactics/substitutions etc and he is not getting the best out of his squad.

There are signs things are getting better, but they really shouldnt have been as bad, IMO.

Last season I made all the excuses for him, and stand by that, given the hand he had to play.

This season? Its simply not the same. We should be doing much better than we are.

I think there is pressure on him to get things moving again, build some positive momentum, and Im not convinced right now he has his head in the game.

Not that I think he should be sacked or anything like it - but the criticism/pressure/narrative building right now is very much of his doing/due to his performance and attitude.

That needs to change.

I saw a lot of positives in the Leicester performance, and I really hope thats the beginning of the upswing, but Id be lying if I said I had any particular faith right now that that is the case.

Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Dele, Walker-Peters, Davies, Foyth...all injured for the majority of this season.

Alderweireld and Eriksen playing us for two seasons. GHod knows what has happened with Verts.

Most incomings late again.

Still, I suppose he isn’t entitled to a grumble.

He will get it right. Again.

It could be that it's a bit of both. Certainly I think Poch's comments about the squad being unsettled indicate that that is part of the issue.

On the tactical rebirth though - it certainly seems as though Poch wants to push the diamond, and I can certainly believe that it's his attempt to innovate beyond the standard 4-2-3-1 like Conte, Guardiola and arguably Klopp have. My issue is that I think it's just a fundamentally bad system due to the lack of width (both in and out of possession), and that our players aren't good enough at the moment to play an obsessively possession-based game.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. What good examples of there are teams who've successfully played a diamond in recent years? Juventus a few years ago?

Hmm your last question is interesting: Liverpool under Rodgers in that 'Gerrard slip' season that no doubt @galeforce still gets wet at the thought of (in terms of the ultimate outcome)?
Perhaps also, Pellegrini's City team that won the league that year at times?

Quite possibly. Time will tell! I'm at WHL for Southampton and Bayern, and feeling hopeful.

If we play 4231 I see us winning those games 5-0 and 3-1.

If we play 4312 or whatever the hell it is I see 1-1 and 1-3.

Edit: I should add that the above first scenario is on the basis that Eriksen plays, Sanchez does not play at right back and no other ingenuity strikes Poch, such as putting Walker-Peters in the Jorginho role.

Last edited:
Must do better, IMO, if you're going to chalk goals off based on evidence you know is probably faulty. The least I'd expect to see given available technology is error bars based on the known limitations of the system. That will amount to a pixel width which it could be said either yields an overlap or nay. It still leaves the question of when the ball was played in relation to the image being used, but I could accept that as a nearly-working system. What annoys me as a scientist is the pretence that there isn't still inherent uncertainty.
I thoroughly agree it shouldn't be presented as certainty.

I can't see error bars and their meaning betting past the average football fan - just imagine trying to explain them to Shearer or Sherwood.

I have no issue with chalking off goals - that's no different to what we had before but more accurate. Not perfect, but far, far better.

Here’s a thought. Go back to football. Clear daylight between attacker and defender, not half a fudging clownfoot ahead of a hair mop! The current offside rule is pathetic. Using VAR to determine it? Even more pathetic.

Either that or issue the players with tape measures and a pause button so as they can measure whether their armpit hair is ahead of the defender or not before pressing “play” again. Come to think of it, a great idea! We can stretch those moments out and sell an extra teeeveeee ad!!!
Ok, so we use clear daylight as the measure.

Soon enough there'll be a decision where the clear daylight is only one pixel wide and we'll have the same discussion about accuracy.

No matter what measure you choose, there will always be cases at the extremes that people will claim are unfair because they're smaller than the accuracy of the system.

Soon enough there'll be a decision where the clear daylight is only one pixel wide and we'll have the same discussion about accuracy.

No matter what measure you choose, there will always be cases at the extremes that people will claim are unfair because they're smaller than the accuracy of the system.
Scara is right (for once! ;) ). If implementing VAR and using it for offside decisions then you can't factor in any margin for error. You have to take the system warts and all and (IMO) the right decisions will outweigh the wrong ones.

Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Dele, Walker-Peters, Davies, Foyth...all injured for the majority of this season.

Alderweireld and Eriksen playing us for two seasons. GHod knows what has happened with Verts.

Most incomings late again.

He will get it right. Again.

Yes injuries. Kane, Son, Moura, Winks, Rose, Lamela, Sissoko... all fit.

Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderweireld all also fit.

A grumble is one thing. The season starting like brick because the squad has been allowed to become "unsettled", and tossing results with weird selections and substitutions is something else entirely.

Most of the issues we have this season stem from management, or lack thereof.

I certainly hope he does get it right, but he needs to start getting there sooner rather than later.

No he is not, if it is at the expense of the team's morale, he is the manager!
Of course, he can show his displeasure with things but in private!
This is what I cant fathom he is a handsomely paid supposed professional!
yet at times he whined about ”not being a manager but a coach” etc......
I found that terrible!

Last edited:

The system is still implemented by people. Who make terrible mistakes.
And what happened to “phases of play” offside/onside calls? We clearly need a total recalibration of rule interpretation based on this tech occurring.

No he is not, if it is at the expense of the team's morale, he is the manager!
Of course, he can show his displeasure with things but in private!
This is what I cant fathom he is a handsomely paid supposed professional!
yet at times he whined about ”not being a manager but a coach” etc......
I found that terrible!

You appear to expect a robot AND (IMO) your comments lack any reasonable context. Aside from which if you believe salary equates control of emotions in conjunction with human energy, then I have to say you are (again both IMO and experience) missing a trick. Handsomely paid people are allowed to be unhappy sometimes. I am GLAD he has been tinkled off; he won’t settle for less!

I mentioned already my firm belief that you either accept him for who he is, or you don’t. IMO you don’t get to enjoy his highs without understanding he isn’t always happy.

I am in for the ride.

For the purposes of tactical discussion i'd be very interested in people's view on what BOL posted earlier in this thread here: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/mauricio-pochettino.6336/page-1049#post-1236987

Is poch hitting a wall? Or is what we are going through labour pains before the birth of a new Spurs under Poch?

I really hope it's the latter ( and would be amazed if it was!) but fear it might unfortunately be the former. His lack of actually winning anything as a manager doesn't bode well. He does however deserve some time so we can all see which of the two is the reality.

Back