• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

So Poch wants us to sign quality players so we can fight for the title, heck that is what I would hope my manager would want. He wants to do more than just finish 4th in the league, good on him
And if they are the only players the club has been able to convince to join us, that is the reason they weren’t transferred. I’m not disagreeing that it’s Poch’s call, just stating that it’s not a binary case of Levy not wanting to sign players but a difficult market where compromise wasn’t reached and the point I was really making was I can’t see any way we agree the deal first then ask Poch if he wants the player!

If Poch has rejected players it is simply because he thinks they are not good enough for him and our club
I’d guess that would be the usual rationale for a manager rejecting players. I think it’s the same for deciding to pick them for the team too.

I’d have thought he’d be consulted before we even approach a player. No point even talking about it if you haven’t discussed it with the fella who has a veto. flimflam story methinks.

I guess sometimes the approach is from the player (agent) to us, rather than us making the approach, or we make an approach as part of a general test the waters/benchmarking exercise. Beyond that it depends on what is meant by 'agreeing deals'. I could imagine a broad discussion around wages/terms and then a conversation with Poch saying 'such-and-such player is available and we could get him for $$xx, what do you think'? And Poch says no. And before you know it, the Daily Mail is reporting that Poch is rejecting players that Levy brings to him.
Like you say, a nothing story.

I guess sometimes the approach is from the player (agent) to us, rather than us making the approach, or we make an approach as part of a general test the waters/benchmarking exercise. Beyond that it depends on what is meant by 'agreeing deals'. I could imagine a broad discussion around wages/terms and then a conversation with Poch saying 'such-and-such player is available and we could get him for $$xx, what do you think'? And Poch says no. And before you know it, the Daily Mail is reporting that Poch is rejecting players that Levy brings to him.
Like you say, a nothing story.
That's exactly the scenario I see, and the most likely, if the story has any base in reality at all.

If this is the case, no one has anything to complain about. Poch is being picky, that's fine but don't be disappointed if signings take a while or don't eventuate.

"Mauricio Pochettino has rejected at least three incoming transfers presented to him by the #thfc board this summer despite the club agreeing deals. [Daily Mail]"

i like it that Poch vents as he does, you often see shock sackings/resignings when nothing is said and its all behind closed doors, the best relationships always have some friction, the comedian always needs a straight man, i think Levy and Poch are as tight a manager/chairman duo as there is in modern football.

Haven't been logged in for a while due to pressures elsewhere; I want to say what a fantastic rollercoaster ride this guy has put me through over the last few months:

- the CL last minute disallowed goals/winners
- the hanging on heroically with 9 men before very unluckily succumbing right at the death
- the 'getting things over the line' wins vs Emirates Marketing Project (penalty let-off), Brighton (last minute howitzer from Eriksen)
- the painful CL first 10 seconds, which led Pool to be able to simply park the bus (hey, it wouldn't even have been an option if VVD wasn't in their team..)
- The sheer emotional responses from the manager himself at the Etihad and the Ajax Stadium

That was some of the most exciting times I've had watching Tottenham Hotspur and all whilst having not bought a single player for more than a year. I don't like the term 'deserve' when it comes to trophies but if there was ever a coach/manager who 'deserved' one..well…..

Thank you Mauricio Pochettino.

On our transfers:

"I am very happy, I was happy with my squad and to add some more players, they can bring good energy and help us to achieve what we want.

I was focused on trying to work hard to coach in the best way. I hoped the club would do the job that we want to try to bring players in and to try to be competitive with our opponents.

Our opponents have always been adding, but now was the time to add some new faces to motivate and spark our players, but also to create excitement for our fans.

This season will be different, we start in our new stadium and we have to be ready for another exciting season and working hard to try."

On Dybala:

"It is true that we were linked with a lot of players. Such a name like you are telling me now. These are rumours and you never know if they are true.

I am now going to start my sixth season at Tottenham. And lots of players are linked with moving in and moving out. Of course it is difficult for the fans to know, but I cannot speak about rumours and players at other clubs.

I cannot talk about rumours. Maybe yes, maybe no. We sign I think very good talented young players like Ryan Sessegnon, Giovani Lo Celso and Tanguy Ndombele. They are still young and can improve. They are not a final product and they need to prove they can be a top player at a club like Tottenham.

They have the talent to improve. But of course we will provide the platform for them to improve and be the players we expect they can be."

On Eriksen (they're already trying to tinkle him off, clearly):

"It is not right to talk about personal situations. It is all rumours. We can not waste time talking about every single rumour.

The players who are here, I am more than happy to have. Of course, we are at this point where European clubs have 20 days more, and I think that was a big mistake.

We open the door to other clubs to cause a confusion within your squad. I think we need to go back and change to operate in the same way. The Premier League cannot give this advantage to the European clubs. It can create a mess in clubs in England."

On Sessegnon:

"Ryan is 19 years old and he could be a very good player. He doesn’t have that much experience in the Premier League, but maybe he is a little bit behind Lo Celso and Ndombele in age, they have more experience playing in a top level. Maybe he needs three or four weeks out of the group, and we will see how he adapts.

I think we have made signings for the future. And the players will have opportunities to play. No pressure on him, or Lo Celso, or Tanguy, they arrive from different leagues and they still need to adapt to the new philosophy and the new club. It is the responsibility of the senior players to help them, but it is important to give them time.

You need to give time to adapt, and to understand, and show the trust."

All taken from here: https://www.football.london/tottenh...urs-press-conference-live-pochettino-16726826

Back