• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I’m not saying we were not fudging brick for the last few months of the season, we were, but everyone else was worse.

It was far from perfect, but there were mitigating factors and we’ve hopefully righted a few of those for the next campaign, we’ve added strength in a position that was a problem last year, and whilst we are a body down at RB, it is the body that most would probably highlight as the weakest link in the team.

I expect a league title/European cup double next season.

Want was the wrong word to use regarding glory, would like would have been better.

The double would be amazing no doubt...honestly a league cup or fa cup would be a super start, after years of toil and coming so close it would be beautiful to see us achieve after so many trials and tribulations.

Re the form of last season, we ran out of legs .. as did quite a few teams due to world cup summer. No surprise the teams with bigger depth (City) and less deep WC involvement (Pool) lasted the distance better.

We have just played Juve, Real, Bayern and United and won 3 out of the 4 with a fit Kane & Lamela, new signing looking good and Lucas seeming to continue his form from the back end of the season. Let the season start before we panic.

Re Poch, I have nothing for admiration for his achievements, but let me be clear -> Poch is not Spurs and he is not the architect of our success, one day he will leave. I have sat here and listed to people cry wolf when BMJ left, when Harry left, when AVB left, when Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale left, the amount of "last or only chances" I've heard that we didn't take, yet somehow a squad with no investment, dead legs, injuries and suspensions managed to make it to CL again, and the CL final.

Next year may be a disaster .. Poch may leave, Eriksen, Toby and Jan may fudge off next summer, it doesn't matter in the long term because the club has secured it's financial future with training ground, stadium, corporate sponsorship, etc. And that is Levy not Poch.

Spurs will win trophies again because we are playing the long game better than anyone else in the world for the last 10+ years.

Regarding your last paragraph I truly hope you are right about that!

A great post overall, and yes season isn’t underway yet, players properly rested, full pre season and a stellar signing to impact things.

And yep a cl final, absolutely nothing to scoff at in any way. Such a shame we couldn’t go one further but no reasons to suggest with the clubs progression under Levy that we won’t be able to have that opportunity again in the near future and hopefully seize it.

Regarding your last paragraph I truly hope you are right about that!

A great post overall, and yes season isn’t underway yet, players properly rested, full pre season and a stellar signing to impact things.

And yep a cl final, absolutely nothing to scoff at in any way. Such a shame we couldn’t go one further but no reasons to suggest with the clubs progression under Levy that we won’t be able to have that opportunity again in the near future and hopefully seize it.

Honestly last season was a disappointment in a way, and that is a statement by itself re how far we have come. We should have been 3rd, we should have stayed in the fight for PL longer, we should have stayed in the CL final longer.

But inch by inch we progress, too slow for most and often really frustrating. Every one of us has had the "if we had one more player/deal" or "if we just backed the manager a bit more" mental conversation, we all have, just a little more risk, a little more "to dare is to do"

But as I said, for me I realized probably a couple of years ago, Levy is playing the long game, 19 years in, and he still has his plan, his progress -> European qualification, best of rest, CL qualification, CL regular, competing for titles/trophies, training ground, stadium, improved commercials, better business model = all delivered, more to come.

I believe the stadium took his focus off the squad, hence the lack of transfers last season, certain players have run down their contracts, we didn't get rid of more dead weight earlier. I think we can see we are more active this summer, hopefully it will pay off and we end up at a stronger place (mentioned it elsewhere, the depth of the squad still concerns me in a couple of areas)

But Poch of all people must be intimately familiar with Levy now, that it is that long game and Levy may choose the less risk option again .. for the good of the long term (in his assessment, with more data than anyone else has to make that call)

poch was just reacting to errant journalists, I don't think there's anything to be worried about.

it's true he doesn't negotiate, he doesn't control the pursestrings. but I am sure he has a Big say nonetheless.

I trust Levy and the committee than just making those decisions anyway. BTW does anyone know who is in the deciding committee? we buy young players too, so the youth coach will be required to align to the Poch.

Sent from my SM-T835 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

For me there's two separate issues - My issue is I just wish he wouldnt so openly talk about things that are negative towards our club in the media, he has done it a fair bit and he is an intelligent guy - he knows how the media will use his words.

However, anyone should be able to see beyond listening to what is said regarding Poch in the media - they are constantly clutching at straws, and trying to interpret (most of the time poorly) because he doesnt have an agent and they will find naff all 'sources' regarding him. But it would be nice if he didn't put the media in the position where they could write such nonsesnse, that is my only gripe...

Re the form of last season, we ran out of legs .. as did quite a few teams due to world cup summer. No surprise the teams with bigger depth (City) and less deep WC involvement (Pool) lasted the distance better.

We have just played Juve, Real, Bayern and United and won 3 out of the 4 with a fit Kane & Lamela, new signing looking good and Lucas seeming to continue his form from the back end of the season. Let the season start before we panic.

Re Poch, I have nothing for admiration for his achievements, but let me be clear -> Poch is not Spurs and he is not the architect of our success, one day he will leave. I have sat here and listed to people cry wolf when BMJ left, when Harry left, when AVB left, when Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale left, the amount of "last or only chances" I've heard that we didn't take, yet somehow a squad with no investment, dead legs, injuries and suspensions managed to make it to CL again, and the CL final.

Next year may be a disaster .. Poch may leave, Eriksen, Toby and Jan may fudge off next summer, it doesn't matter in the long term because the club has secured it's financial future with training ground, stadium, corporate sponsorship, etc. And that is Levy not Poch.

Spurs will win trophies again because we are playing the long game better than anyone else in the world for the last 10+ years.

Honestly last season was a disappointment in a way, and that is a statement by itself re how far we have come. We should have been 3rd, we should have stayed in the fight for PL longer, we should have stayed in the CL final longer.

But inch by inch we progress, too slow for most and often really frustrating. Every one of us has had the "if we had one more player/deal" or "if we just backed the manager a bit more" mental conversation, we all have, just a little more risk, a little more "to dare is to do"

But as I said, for me I realized probably a couple of years ago, Levy is playing the long game, 19 years in, and he still has his plan, his progress -> European qualification, best of rest, CL qualification, CL regular, competing for titles/trophies, training ground, stadium, improved commercials, better business model = all delivered, more to come.

I believe the stadium took his focus off the squad, hence the lack of transfers last season, certain players have run down their contracts, we didn't get rid of more dead weight earlier. I think we can see we are more active this summer, hopefully it will pay off and we end up at a stronger place (mentioned it elsewhere, the depth of the squad still concerns me in a couple of areas)

But Poch of all people must be intimately familiar with Levy now, that it is that long game and Levy may choose the less risk option again .. for the good of the long term (in his assessment, with more data than anyone else has to make that call)

Two fantastic posts mate, i salute you.

ESPN Pundits view of the Pochettino statement:

But having analysed what the Argentinian had to say, both Nicol and Hislop were of the opinion that there seems to be no issue amid potential signs of tension between the Spurs boss and club officials.

Pochettino had said his job title should be changed, which may have come across as a “veiled message” – to quote the words of Ian Darke – aimed at Levy as Spurs enter the final week of the window with the sole addition of Tanguy Ndombele to the squad – with youngster Jack Clarke spending next season on loan at Leeds United.

However, Nicol felt the matter was being slightly blown out of proportion, saying: “He seems to be quite happy that he’s leaving all those contract talks [to Levy]. I’m sure he asks for certain players and then Daniel Levy tries and gets them – and if he can’t get them, he’s basically saying ‘well okay, I understand, I’m going to coach the team regardless of the name on the back of the jersey’.”

Former goalkeeper Hislop agreed, commenting: “I don’t think he has much of an issue with it, given his own history both playing and coaching in Spain where that’s how it’s done, maybe he’s just saying this is how life is here at Spurs and he’s happy to go along with it.”

Interesting that stateside they didnt run to post all the "POCH WANTS A NEW JOB TITLE" headlines...

On reflection, I think it's probably more likely than not that the "club ought to change my job description" crack was meant in the sarcastic sense of "...if I'm the one you want to answer these questions," rather than implying he's annoyed at not being involved in contract negotiations. I've convinced myself that's what he meant, anyway. :D

I’m not saying we were not fudging brick for the last few months of the season, we were, but everyone else was worse.

It was far from perfect, but there were mitigating factors and we’ve hopefully righted a few of those for the next campaign, we’ve added strength in a position that was a problem last year, and whilst we are a body down at RB, it is the body that most would probably highlight as the weakest link in the team.

I expect a league title/European cup double next season.

I was as critical as anyone of our form at the end of last season, we looked utter brickhouse as did the managers selections.

But even though it’s pre-season we looked 10xs better.

I was as critical as anyone of our form at the end of last season, we looked utter brickhouse as did the managers selections.

But even though it’s pre-season we looked 10xs better.

Taking into consideration we failed to buy a player over 2 transfer windows I was impressed with our performance last season, especially when you also factor in our numerous injuries over the season. As far as I was concerned us running out of legs when you consider the above was no surprise to me. I think Poch and the boys done good

Whilst I do think the lack of transfers can be due to Poch being demanding surely we ask him first before we agree a deal?!!

So Poch wants us to sign quality players so we can fight for the title, heck that is what I would hope my manager would want. He wants to do more than just finish 4th in the league, good on him

Back