• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I don't really understand this obsession with 'plan bs'.

What do you want to know? Whether at 1-0 down on a windy winter Wednesday at West Ham when nothing is working, he'll be prepared to push Dawson upfront and try to out-Allardyce Allardyce?

The whole point of a system is that it's supposed to be all-pervasive. Yes you adapt it, but principles are principles.

Eh?? Arent you one of many (including myself) that have criticized previous managers, esp Harry, for not having such plans?
That is "if the main plan is not working, have I got another plan to try?"

We both know that a club like ours cannot just rely on 'having a great plan a' if we want to punch above our weight and break into then top 4/regularly win trophies.

So i'll ask it differently: does Pottechino have a second (or even third) way of playing after the 'high pressing game' and 4-2-3-1 formation?

What do you want to know? Whether at 1-0 down on a windy winter Wednesday at West Ham when nothing is working, he'll be prepared to push Dawson upfront and try to out-Allardyce Allardyce?

The whole point of a system is that it's supposed to be all-pervasive. Yes you adapt it, but principles are principles.

i don't want principles i want pragmatism, how do we win the next game, thats all that matters

i remember arguing with friends about Guardiola's Barca side a couple of years ago when they lost to Chelsea in the semi, how i lamented them moving on Ibra so quickly, my friends argument was that Barca's style won them most of their games and was therefore good enough, i contended that when you reach that level winning most of your games is not good enough, the expectation should be that you win all of your games

I'd be more concerned about the upper tier clubs who have astute scouts, coaches and managers.
After a while watching us play they will try to combat our strengths and focus on weaknesses based on their analysis of the main system we use as well as the personnel.

So I don't think it's wrong to question whether or not a coach is overly dogmatic.
Whether he believes there's only one real system to use and way to play.
Or whether he has shown versatility to prevent predicatability where that is necessary.

And for our new boss I simply don't know enough about him to answer that.

Re: What is your view on our new manager?

I'm prepared to give him every opportunity to succeed and he'll have my 100% backing.

But I will be very surprised if he can match or surpass Tim Sherwood's haul of 42 points from his first 22 Premier League matches.

I didn't know we had one?

Christian Gross was our last 'Manager' back in 1998 IIRC.

Lamella is not the solution to four or five goal defeats, he is part of the problem.

Surely we have attempted to address this by bringing in a new manager!
Also Lamela did not have a hand in any of those defeats so what is your point?

Last edited:
anyone got that rodgers martinez pocchetino stat graphic to hand?

YKBRmLG.png

Now take in to account the value of the squads. I will support him as he is our manager and as i stated before he does seem to have something about him. But the above is a little misleading. if Rafa was available I can't see why we passed him up.

Now take in to account the value of the squads. I will support him as he is our manager and as i stated before he does seem to have something about him. But the above is a little misleading. if Rafa was available I can't see why we passed him up.

It does have the wage bill comparison, so fair, and the value of the squad for Southampton is a lot different now vs. when Poch started, thanks to work by him.

Re Rafa, I think the Poch decision comes down to

- Attractive style of football in line with system/players already at club
- Brings younger players through and develops next generation of stars
- Accustomed to stricter spending controls
- willing to work with Baldini

Those 4 were probably all pluses over FSW (not saying FSW was a bad choice)

I think Levy has finally opted for continuity as much as possible, same DoF, same players, manager with similar/translatable style, young enough to spend a while with us and the statement of confidence with the 5 year contract.

I'm prepared to give him every opportunity to succeed and he'll have my 100% backing.

But I will be very surprised if he can match or surpass Tim Sherwood's haul of 42 points from his first 22 Premier League matches.

I won't be (more my view on TS vs. Poch), but I think the most important thing in his first 22 games is to see a "team" with an understandable tactic and players playing somewhere close to their potential.

To the OP, who really knows, like every appointment there is some level of risk and some level of promise.

I hope that even though some people are underwhelmed, it won't be as divisive as the TS/AVB/Harry era's, that we can back the club, manager, players and feel good about it again.

Eh?? Arent you one of many (including myself) that have criticized previous managers, esp Harry, for not having such plans?
That is "if the main plan is not working, have I got another plan to try?"

We both know that a club like ours cannot just rely on 'having a great plan a' if we want to punch above our weight and break into then top 4/regularly win trophies.

So i'll ask it differently: does Pottechino have a second (or even third) way of playing after the 'high pressing game' and 4-2-3-1 formation?

top post and good question

i think a situation like this requires an excursion to a southampton board (if we dont get met with Vitriol that is)

It'll go one of two ways, Rogers at Liverpool or Moyes at United. Hopefully not the latter.
There were a lot of unhappy Liverpool fans at the end of Rodgers' first season when they finished about 8th. The owners stuck with him and it worked. I can imagine in that situation Levy would have just sacked him.

There were a lot of unhappy Liverpool fans at the end of Rodgers' first season when they finished about 8th. The owners stuck with him and it worked. I can imagine in that situation Levy would have just sacked him.

not sure

i think levy would have given him till the next year

Back