• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch

The reason he isn't starting in the job until June is that he's currently banned from football.
I know his contract was until the end of the season anyway but this feels a little harsh on Sheridan who’s taken them out of trouble with some good results in his short time there. Players will drop their level knowing he’s got no chance of being there next season.
I guess Joey has more followers on twitter though...

Sam Allardyce calls Everton fan survey ‘big mistake’ as Bill Kenwright apologises

Sam Allardyce wants Everton’s major shareholder to clarify his future after receiving an apology from his club’s chairman for the survey asking supporters to rate his managerial ability.

The Everton manager believes that the time is right for Farhad Moshiri to remove the uncertainty around his position that he feels has contributed to a negative undercurrent.

Allardyce tackled the fallout from the club’s marketing survey head-on, and when it was suggested that Moshiri could alleviate the pressure on him, he said: “I’m not going to tell you what I would do but I would agree with what you say, yes.”

Asking the fans about the manager when there has been clear unhappiness is a big mistake. If the fans surveyed say they have little confidence in him then his position becomes untenable. I suspect they won't be backing him strongly. If the club refuse to publish the results it would just make things worse.

It does look like a dumb marketing mistake, though, as it also asked about the "senior leadership team" and I think I know what Everton fans think about the club leadership in recent years. Will the potential of the new stadium sway them?

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F9a405be0-4249-11e8-9618-96ec7a8a2ce5.jpg

Chris Coleman gone, what a surprise, such a poor manager. Dragged along by Bale and Ramsey for Wales.

Listening to Henry Winter on MOTD was laughable, basically absolved Coleman of all blame! The players they had there shouldn’t be getting relegated from that division no matter what is going on in the boardroom.

Coleman wasnt the problem, there is a rot at that club that runs all the way to the top.

No manager is changing that without new ownership and real backing.

Coleman had resorted to basically playing youth players because the "pro's" were all clearly not going to even try.

Coleman wasnt the problem, there is a rot at that club that runs all the way to the top.

No manager is changing that without new ownership and real backing.

Coleman had resorted to basically playing youth players because the "pro's" were all clearly not going to even try.
Is exactly what Winter was saying. I agree the clubs a joke, but a decent manager can get the players to play for them. He’s clearly not that.

Wouldn’t have expected them to be in the play offs or anything but they shouldn’t have been relegated with those players.

This is what Im saying, no manager can succeed there until there is genuine change in the club culture.

It is cancerous. Stick Mourinho in there, Guardiola, Poch - makes no difference - the club is rotten.

They are paying the price now for years of short sighted decisions and a lack of ethos/investment/forsight/patience...

Its that bad they make West Ham look like a quality outfit.

Their squad is still better than half that league, Coleman had half a season in charge and he actually, amazingly, made them worse. Like I say I wouldn’t expect promotion or play offs or anything like that, but just not to be relegated!

I know the clubs a joke and a mess, but so were WBA when Moore took over for example. It shouldn’t be too difficult (as long as your not useless) to improve on results when players are clearly underperforming.

WBA and Sunderland do not compare, not even close. WBA were playing manager-go-round and it backfired. Otherwise they are a stable club, with a decent hierachy and everyone pulling in the same direction. They removed the part that wasnt working and surprise surprise they pick up instantly.

Sunderland have had cancer for years. Its rotted through the club, from the board to the youth teams. Its a long term and systemic problem. A simple manager change doesnt really turn the tide on that.

And squad? Its terrible!

No. Position Player
GK Jason Steele
GK Lee Camp (on loan from Cardiff City)
GK Robbin Ruiter
GK Max Stryjek

DF Billy Jones
DF Bryan Oviedo
DF Brendan Galloway (on loan from Everton)
DF John O'Shea
DF Tyias Browning (on loan from Everton)
DF Adam Matthews
DF Donald Love
DF Lamine Koné

DF Jake Clarke-Salter (on loan from Chelsea)
DF Marc Wilson

MF Paddy McNair
MF Lee Cattermole (captain)
MF Jonny Williams (on loan from Crystal Palace)
MF Jack Rodwell
MF Kazenga LuaLua
MF Callum McManaman
MF Aiden McGeady
MF George Honeyman
MF Lynden Gooch
MF Ethan Robson
MF Elliot Embleton

FW Ashley Fletcher (on loan from Middlesbrough)
FW Duncan Watmore
FW Josh Maja
FW Joel Asoro

When Aiden McGeady is your best player, by a distance, you have problems.

The few "name" players in there are either a) old and past it, b) cant be bothered or c) both.

The rest are either lower quality journeymen or kids.

Hence Coleman did his best to just blood kids and hope their enthusiasm would make a difference. Which it has, to a point, but its too little too late.

As I said, and Im not a Coleman apologist, I just dont think ANY manager would have fared any better.

You could go through any squad in the bottom half of the championship and dissect it like that. The key is to compare it to what’s around them.

I repeat, again, I think Sunderland are brick, have an average squad and are run by clowns, but they should not be getting relegated from that division when you see the clubs around them. You just can’t absolve the manager from all blame. It’s up to him to get the best out of the underperforming, can’t be bothered players, just as Moore has at West Brom. No one would have been expecting more from Coleman when he came in than simply “keep us up” this season, so it’s not exactly a burden of expectation on him.

Skybet had Sunderland as 11/2 to get promoted at the start of the season by the way! So it’s easy to say all the players are rubbish now at the end of the season in hindsight, but the bookies disagreed at the start of the season.

Last edited:
Premier league drop outs always rate highly to go back up, it means little. They have finance, and presumably better players, so its an obvious thing to set the odds before anything has been seen. I put little stock in it.

Of the team that went down they lost Pickford, Mannone, Lens, Borini, Vaughn, Anichebe, Defoe, Pienaar, Larsson, Ndong, Khazri, Grabban....

In essence, the team that got them relegated was gutted. Not all these players are particularly good, but they are better than what got left behind. Take a look at the post above, their squad really is terrible.

Bolton, Burton, Barnsley, Birmingham are the teams around Sunderland.

It might be argued Sunderland have a better squad (Id disagree, but the argument is there), though honestly I think it really is marginal rather than "obvious" as you would seem to think. Its not by much, if at all.

Those teams, even with worse squads, also arent anywhere near as toxic from top to bottom as Sunderland are. This cannot be over stated.

You of course are free to disagree, but I think you are wrong to dismiss the state of the entire club and expect any manager to simply do better. Especially with such a terrible set of players.

Whoever went in was on a hiding to nothing. Hopefully for them (not that I particularly care) this is an opportunity to really clear out ALL the bad apples, the dead wood and those not good enough and rebuild again with some purpose.

Back