• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Luck - have we had our fair share?

I don't know how you quantify it. I think in the main what goes around comes around, it just might take longer than a season to get a equivalent touch of luck that went against you at a given point.

Perhaps we were so unlucky in the past that when we're not particularly either - then it seems we're lucky?

For me luck is things like Lasagnegate, Chelsea winning the ECL, bad refereeing decisions (for both teams).

Perhaps scoring a lucky first goal and then drawing the game may be bad luck overall? Perhaps if we'd equalised then we'd be on a high and win the game? Maybe a brick example :D

There are a lot of teams that get lucky penalties (we have had 0, lucky or not), lucky sending offs, goal off someone's arse, etc.

The other kind of luck is when you play dross, get pummeled game after game and still get underserved results (see Cheat$ki CL run last year as e.g.), we haven't had that either.

Add the fact that we almost never have a season that is significantly injury free (Sandro, Kaboul, Benny and Lennon in the last couple of games where we probably needed him most.)

Spur's are not a lucky club, probably the only piece of luck we have had may because of how Cheat$ki is run, AVB might be our luck story at the end of season.

You make your own luck.

We are luckier this season because we have stronger mentality, are fitter, and are tactically smarter than we have been in a long time.

Yep.

Here are a few quotes about luck. Napoleon said give me "lucky" generals.

The harder I practice, the luckier I get
The more I practice, the luckier I get.
The more they put out, the more luck they have.
The harder he works, the luckier he gets.
The more you know, the more luck you have.

Top and bottom of it is we have a winner as a manager. Last year we didn't.

How many times has Bale been penalised for diving in and around the box when if he was playing for United or Chelsea it would have been given?

I don't count late goals as luck. To me they are the very definition of "making your own luck" - by perseverance, by belief, by your attitude towards life.

The reason we look "lucky" - by which I mean winning without playing well - is due to the nature of our team. We are not chock full of technical, creative, possession-based players so we rarely look dominant and free-flowing in midfield or incisive in the final third. However, we do have a few danger players, players who are capable of individual moments of lethal play regardless of how the team is playing, combined with some hard workers and a super goalkeeper so we are capable of grinding out the points.

It's a human resource issue more than one of tactical set-up or mentality. Buy well this summer and we'll look like a much more coherent team next season. For now, we have to focus on getting the results.

I wouldn't say it was down to "luck" but I do agree that last season we were incredibly hard done by and over the course of 2011-12 things did not balance themselves out for THFC. The worst season from that point of view I can remember in my 30-odd years as a Spurs fan.

To answer the OPs first post - any season will appear better/luckier than last years, for us or any team. Take away Stoke away, City away etc and leave just Cheatski winning the CL so so so undeservedly, in the manner they did with Bayern capitulating in the final with the match won against a far weaker team (say what you like about us bottling things, Bayern were in a league of their own last year) and that scenario would be deemed massively unlucky for any team.

However, I do believe what goes around comes around. "Champions of Europe" flatters Cheatski (can't wait for whoever to win the damned thing this May and shut the racists up), they really aren't that big a club in anyway, and its only a matter of time before the past catches up with Abrahamich and then we'll see where the money is.

Last edited:
I don't count late goals as luck. To me they are the very definition of "making your own luck" - by perseverance, by belief, by your attitude towards life.

The reason we look "lucky" - by which I mean winning without playing well - is due to the nature of our team. We are not chock full of technical, creative, possession-based players so we rarely look dominant and free-flowing in midfield or incisive in the final third. However, we do have a few danger players, players who are capable of individual moments of lethal play regardless of how the team is playing, combined with some hard workers and a super goalkeeper so we are capable of grinding out the points.

It's a human resource issue more than one of tactical set-up or mentality. Buy well this summer and we'll look like a much more coherent team next season. For now, we have to focus on getting the results.

Very good post (as usual.)

Next season we will start well and as confidence grows we will put in performances and be good to watch for more of the game. What do you think of Gutter Boy's theory about holding on to 1 goal leads?

I don't think we've been lucky or unlucky this year. Yes without Bale we'd probably be three or four places below where we are but he is a member of the squad so that is not luck! Where we have been fortunate is that the league is weaker this year and that allowed us to have a poor start to the season and still be in contention.

P.S. nice site! And it shows that despite losing a game more and being a point less than this time last year we are in a stronger position. I think that proves that it will take less to get top four this year than in recent seasons.

P.S. nice site! And it shows that despite losing a game more and being a point less than this time last year we are in a stronger position. I think that proves that it will take less to get top four this year than in recent seasons.

Let's hope so!

You make your own luck.

We are luckier this season because we have stronger mentality, are fitter, and are tactically smarter than we have been in a long time.

We seemed to be relying a lot more on luck against Swansea than I'd like to be. Dyer missed that header which cannoned off the bar as well as the rebound, Michu's misses when you'd bet on him to score.

As soon as we decided to settle for 2-0 we conceded. It's the Spurs way.

We seemed to be relying a lot more on luck against Swansea than I'd like to be. Dyer missed that header which cannoned off the bar as well as the rebound, Michu's misses when you'd bet on him to score.

But this 'luck' thing then becomes deeper. I could counter your point there by saying usually Lloris is fit for the Prem and would've been off his line claiming before Dyer got the chance to miss! And so we suffered bad luck with Lloris' injury...I think it's a bit weird getting into that right now personally...

Can't see it. The opposition hitting shots off target isn't luck. It's them not being quite good enough.

Again this has nothing to do with the thread but 29 came up twice on the roulette machine at Paddy Power and I won £134.

Back