• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Luck - have we had our fair share?

Pirate55

The Last Man Standing 17/18
I would venture to suggest that this season we have had more than our fair share.

Apart from Bale's lack of deserved penalties, we have also had quite a few close calls ourselves when a number of penalty appeals for both handballs and fouls have been waived away. Sure we have hit the woodwork a few times (Sig in particular has been unlucky) but we have also been on the positive end of some good decisions and fortunate occurences. To name a few off the top of my head:

1.Defoe was offside when he scored at Saudi Sportswashing Machine

2.Defoes mishit shot struck BAE on the ankle and cannoned into the net

3. Verts first goal against Utd came off the defenders heel

4. We werent punished for Lloris's fly kick straight at an opponent

5. Bales last minute heroics and general outstanding brilliance

6. Dembele's last minute scorcher that kept us in Europe

Contrast that to last season, when I would argue that we didnt have our fair share of luck; Again the following spring to mind:

1. HRs court case and England shananigans

2. At Sunderland with 10 men we did everything but score in the second half

3. Fulop handing Arsenal the points at WBA

4. Chelsea's frankly incredible CL run - with both Barca and Bayern missing penalties against them

Do others agree?

Lets just hope we keep calm and carry on .....

1. Defoe wasn't offside when he was at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

4. That's an opponent not being good enough, not luck.

5. That's Bale being brilliant not luck.

6. That's Dembele scoring a brilliant goal, not luck.

If you're going to count deflected goals for us as luck, then the deflected goals against us are unlucky and they cancel them out.

So no.

Last edited:
1. Defoe wasn't offside when he was at Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

4. That's an opponent not being good enough, not luck.

5. That's Bale being brilliant not luck.

6. That's Dembele scoring a brilliant goal, not luck.

If you're going to count deflected goals for us as luck, then the deflected goals against us are unlucky and they cancel them out.

So no.

indeed, what a preposterous OP :lol:

Bale being good = luck

i wonder if he holds Adebayor and Defoe's performances/goal returns down to bad luck :-k

indeed, what a preposterous OP :lol:

Bale being good = luck

i wonder if he holds Adebayor and Defoe's performances/goal returns down to bad luck :-k

Exactly, or are we concluding that some players are just 'luckier' than others, like RVP and Suarez. Tell you what, lets rename this kind of luck. Let's call it ability.

Exactly, or are we concluding that some players are just 'luckier' than others, like RVP and Suarez. Tell you what, lets rename this kind of luck. Let's call it ability.

Bale being consitently brilliant and scoring wonder goals is not exactly the norm is it?

He is unquestionably a fantastic player, but some of the achievements this season have been out of this world.

Bale being consitently brilliant and scoring wonder goals is not exactly the norm is it?

it's down to hard work oh his part and the possibility that the new manager knows how to get the best out of him.

it certainly aint down to luck

Well seeing as he's done it on more than one occasion, I'd put it down to ability, hard work in training, AVB and the team. I'd say the opponents but some of those were unstoppable.

But it's not exactly lucky, it seems that Bale being this brilliant IS becoming the norm. After all, he's been this good consistently for three months which is a big chunk of the season.

People could argue that he was that good before then but I'm taking his hat-trick v Villa as the game and moments that changed his form this season to be World Class, not just good. He was good the rest of the season, his run and cross to create Lennon's opener v Liverpool was top drawer etc

Bale being exceptional is responsible for his exceptional form.

Actually none of the instances of luck list in the op are examples of luck.

Luck would be something like Caulker getting away with the penalty vs Man U.

But no, I don't think we've been particularly lucky this season.

I agree that we were extremely unlucky last season Pirate, but this season has been anything but really. We're so well coached that its making up for our deficiencies, coupled with some individual brilliance.

Perhaps at Old Trafford we were lucky not to concede a penalty, but we were most certainly owed that luck.

I think I know what Pirate is getting at and the point he is trying to make, but if you break that down to other teams they will have had the same amount of 'luck'. Some more than others.

Bale is in an absolute purple patch at the moment.

Will it continue? I really hope so. But I think those that just expect it to are being extremely unrealistic.

Bale is having luck at the moment, hahahahahaha WTF

Its down to him working on his weakenesses, and having a coach who knows what he is doing rather than telling the players to run around a lot

Jan's goal was going in.

If anything it was unlucky, he shouldn't have had the goal taken away from him plus it struck Evans' arm, not his heel, so could've been a pen and a red had it not gone in.

Last edited:
In all the years I have been supporting Spurs I would say we are a very unlucky team, it all started when we were blatantly cheated out of the semi's of the European cup by Benfica.

You make your own luck.

We are luckier this season because we have stronger mentality, are fitter, and are tactically smarter than we have been in a long time.

I don't think we have been lucky this season, in that we rarely score scrambled goals, or get lucky deflected goals. Contrast this with some of the other top seven teams.

Back