• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lack of goals

defoe is best off the bench. too short too slow too lazy too many offsides too limited too arrogant to try to change his ways.

edit: this is after the west ham loss, so probably a knee jerk response... but i really don't see why defoe should start ahead of soldado

Soldado will suffer too...its aVB's tactics, the way we play. Its not very striker friendly in the PL

No creativity from the centre of midfield.
Paulinho and Dembele have played 2 accurate through balls between them in 7 league games (the team has 4 in total!)

Whereas Lloris, Dawson and Walker have attempted 248 long balls between them in those 7 games!

A midfield 3 of Eriksen - Sandro - Holtby would create more and control the game better than Paulinho and Dembele.

if we are to be successful this season it will be with as many 1-0 wins we can gather......i just dont see anything changing

If Sandro had started that there would be no way, just no way, we'd lose 3-0. Prob 1-0 but at least it would have been less shameful.

I hate to say it, but in the same space of time Brendan Rodgers turned Liverpool from a collection of Dalglish hoof-ball merchants into a brilliantly pacy, aggressive side. We've shown we can be the same, but crucially only in small patches. And days like today remind me that when it doesn't come off, when we don't go in front first... it can look very, very bad indeed.

Yeah, Liverpool never seem to just face this brick wall of players and have to pass around it. Arsenal don't too much anymore either (though a few years ago when Hleb was there it was a bit like that). Those teams have the tactics or players to not come up against that time after time. Liverpool have it all up front though, strikers are expensive for a reason and if we had one of their two we'd be a lot better off.

If only we had kept faith with Huddlestone.. surrounded by the likes of Paulinho, Sandro, Eriksen, Soldado etc etc he would have created chances for us.
Hull --with a far less expensive squad - managed to beat West Ham 1-0.

I think we need to start one of eriksson or holtby alongside sandro our Paulinhio. Having two holding midfielders play every game is becoming ponderous and is unecessary especially when the majority of teams we face will now decide to defend deep, overload the middle and hit us the break- chances are they'll be successful as we don't seem comfortable defending the counter attack. What holtby/eriksson alongside pauly or sandro will bring is some fluency to our passing and force teams that sit deep to sacrifice a player from midfield to close down one of them, whilst leaving space in behind which can be occupied by the number 10.

So in essence we should play a complete 4-4-1-1 with the number 10 playing closer to the striker with the sandro/pauly-eriksson/holtby cm pairing sitting deeper and dictating the pace of play.

Seems a lot of different people in different threads are hitting on the playing two defensive midfielders as a problem. Wonder how long avb will take to figure this out.

I don't think Paulinho's that defensive, he's more of an all action guy, and next to Sandro he would be even less defensive. Dembele is usually sitting more behind him.

Seems a lot of different people in different threads are hitting on the playing two defensive midfielders as a problem. Wonder how long avb will take to figure this out.

You took your boy to the game today didn't you--sorry it turned out the way it did.
I took my boy to the Fulham game last year on the assumption we had a good chance of winning- one of the worse games I've ever been to -typical.

Trouble with Townsend is he is so mind-achingly predictable. Cut inside 99% of the time.

Soldado must be so frustrated, and I think Eriksen will be the same too. Having Townsend and Sig' cut inside all the time makes the middle so bloody congested.

He went outside numerous times today but there was just no one in the area to tap it in

He went outside numerous times today but there was just no one in the area to tap it in

He went outside in the first half and hit a decent cross to the far post and no-one had made that run. Siggy was hanging on the edge of the area though, which didn't help at all.

defoe is best off the bench. too short too slow too lazy too many offsides too limited too arrogant to try to change his ways.

You are talking utter tosh. Defoe has scored 22 goals in his last 39 starts for Spurs but only scored once in his last 13 as a sub, against Emirates Marketing Project. SO your claim that he is better coming of the bench is complete gibberish. And as much as you **** Defoe of at least you cannot blame him for our lack of goals prior to today

If you play with inverted wingers then you only create chances for said wingers when they cut in and shoot. They by definition do not cross. If their shooting is not accurate then you are not going to get much luck in front of goal.

Instead of ****ging of our best player today maybe Mulletperm whould address the fact that we had nothing down our left flank all game

You are talking utter tosh. Defoe has scored 22 goals in his last 39 starts for Spurs but only scored once in his last 13 as a sub, against Emirates Marketing Project. SO your claim that he is better coming of the bench is complete gibberish. And as much as you **** Defoe of at least you cannot blame him for our lack of goals prior to today

Look at Defoe's last 20 league games. I dont care about his games against Tromso or the like.
He's started 10 and came on as sub for 10. He's scored in 1 coming on as sub. And none starting.

He's pretty much equally **** either way.

Back