• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lack of goals

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
It's an issue, let's not pretend it isn't. The only other teams who have scored less than us are the bottom 5.

Is this down to players still 'gelling' or something more? The tactics? Formation?

For me it's a major worry and something that doesn't look like improving anytime soon.

I mentioned this in another thread but got responded with that if the defence is fine then so what...

Well duh...

I would start Erikson and Lamela next match and I would persist with them. Townsend aint no Bale. Another player who has all the tricks, but who fails to deliver any meaningful contribution in terms of assists or goals.

I would start Erikson and Lamela next match and I would persist with them. Townsend aint no Bale. Another player who has all the tricks, but who fails to deliver any meaningful contribution in terms of assists or goals.

Trouble with Townsend is he is so mind-achingly predictable. Cut inside 99% of the time.

Soldado must be so frustrated, and I think Eriksen will be the same too. Having Townsend and Sig' cut inside all the time makes the middle so bloody congested.

For the last few seasons, we have forgotten how to attack the the box. We have been saved by Bale or others by long range efforts. Wing backs and Wingers cant find a player in the box time after time, you have to wonder why this is happening with different strikers. We are not the glory, glory Tottenham anymore obviously, we are a grind it out team with strong players dominating. but if we go behind we are doomed. But to lose to the likes of Sam/West Ham is as low as it gets.

True, but it seems our vaunted defensive solidity isn't up to much either.

Damnit, stop excluding Sandro. Start him, and partner him with Paulinho. Push Eriksen up into the hole, and flank him with Lamela and Townsend switching flanks. Put Soldado up front, and for GHod's sake get Kyle Walker more involved and Danny Rose off the treatment table.

We need to sort out both our defense and our attack, judging by this madness. Start at the back, then, and work our way to the front.

And if our full-backs still aren't up to speed by January, sign one.

To be fair Townsend went outside many times today... I still want a big striker wih hold up play. Starting to feel like Lambert would have been a better signing than Soldado just for the good of the team. Having Chadli up there winning headers helped a bit in the first couple of games. We haven't got anyone doing that now.

It's an issue, let's not pretend it isn't. The only other teams who have scored less than us are the bottom 5.

Is this down to players still 'gelling' or something more? The tactics? Formation?

For me it's a major worry and something that doesn't look like improving anytime soon.

The worry part is that when reporters have mentioned this AVB has used Europa/League stats to say how many we're scoring but in reality in league terms we are dreadful and in most games have'nt fallen behind. We are not playing super attacking football anymore but that time is over in real terms but we have to do the basics right.

I wonder if we'll just have to resign ourselves to the fact that AVB is a manager that whilst being relatively progressive, is one that cannot bring himself to play more than one striker routinely. This then leads to strikers stagnating if they are not at the extreme top level, like Defoe and Ade last year (when it became the 'just pass it to Bale' show)...

Losing to West Ham can happen and tbh this was coming, as Chelski showed last week we are weak in the centre as Verts and Dawson aren't the fastest. We don't seem to learn that in certain situations we should defend a bi deeper and/or have a genuine DM shield in front of them. I'm not even going to talk about our defending from set-pieces - which has been dog****e for a while now...

I hope we don't have to look back and ask why we didn't buy Negredo who would have been cheaper and offered another option upfront (i.e. aerial, plus hold-up play...)

We had the same problem last season and Bale would compensate.

For me the system is wrong, or rather the players are wrong for the system. We lack balance and team cohesion. Adebayor is the only striker we have who is capable of being a lone front man in the Premiership over the course of a season, but we know how inconsistent he is. Also to play this system you need very good attacking full backs or you risk having hardly any width. Even Walker didn't get forward that much today.

We are a very good team, with very good players and we should be right in the mix for top four. But to ensure it, we need more from AVB. Personally I think the best balanced team we can field is still a 4-4-2 and will remain so until we can either find a forward that can drop deep (like a Sheringham, Rooney, Bergkamp, VDV etc.) as opposed to a midfield "number 10" or a forward that is far more complete than a poacher (Drogba). My personal strongest team is below. It's interesting to see that three at the back is making a comeback this season, especially when so many "experts" wrote it off. It allows a 5 man midfield as well as the threat of two up top. I've always felt it's the hardest formation to get right but with the right players (they need to be intelligent) it is the most flexible and dangerous. We currently don't have the players to play it though.

So my team is:

----------Lloris-------------
Walker---Dawson--Verts--Rose
Lennon--Sandro--Paulinho--Townsend/Chadli/Lamela
---------Soldado----Adebayor----

I think now that we've lost AVB will be able to justify playing what he feels his strongest team is, and I think AVB will be looking to play the below going forward.

----------------Lloris-------------
Walker--Dawson--Verts--Rose
--------Dembele---Paulinho---
----------------Eriksen------------
Lamela---------------------Chadli-----
-------------Soldado--------------

This for me to get us speed on the left flank and not only attacking through the middle:

----------------Lloris-------------
Walker--Dawson--Verts--Rose
--------Paulinho---Dembele---
Lamela------Eriksen-------Townsend
-------------Soldado--------------

And AWB should let players rest an not send them all over the world for a s**tty EL game.

I've pointed out the lack of league goals, before and we haven't really addressed the root causes.

which include:

AVB's cautious mentality which favours retention of the possession/4-2-3-1, at the expense of speed of movement of the ball forward.
playing players in the "wrong positions", and having too may similar payers
lacking three types of player - a play maker - Modric, A tricky between the lines player -VdV (poss Holtby could do this) - a strong, quick mobile forward with an all round game

I honestly don't think AVB knows what his best team is, or what players he prefers in what positions. While he is finding out, we could get a few more games like today.

We are still work in progress. You can shore up a team to not concede, quicker than you can get them playing attacking football which nets lots of goals.

That said, last season we were the same. Take out Bale's goals and we were really poor at scoring. Teams sit back against us.

Maybe it has something to do with playing that high line - we squash play into a small area - and can't play through it. Other teams will pull the opposition onto them, freeing up space to break.

I hope we don't have to look back and ask why we didn't buy Negredo who would have been cheaper and offered another option upfront (i.e. aerial, plus hold-up play...)

Negredo is on 120k a week apparently....Soldado on 60k. Negredo would never have joined us

we are poor in our attacking play. Last season and this.

Do you guys genuniely trust AVB to change things for the better when we are not playing well or the other team are on top? We seem to have a great spirit but his subs leave a lot to be desired for example.

defoe is best off the bench. too short too slow too lazy too many offsides too limited too arrogant to try to change his ways.

edit: this is after the west ham loss, so probably a knee jerk response... but i really don't see why defoe should start ahead of soldado

No creativity from the centre of midfield.
Paulinho and Dembele have played 2 accurate through balls between them in 7 league games (the team has 4 in total!)

Whereas Lloris, Dawson and Walker have attempted 248 long balls between them in those 7 games!

defoe is best off the bench. too short too slow too lazy too many offsides too limited too arrogant to try to change his ways.

Yep. Excellent back up but will never be consistent to warrant a starting place long term. Goes on purple patches followed by spells of 8 or 9 games without a goal.

Back