• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

I really do not think that Walker offers much defensively or going forward. His positioning is suspect and he allows crosses to come in willy nilly. Going forward he cannot beat a man, because he has low technical ability. Walker also consistently fails to beat the first man with his crosses. He can however run very fast in a straight line.

Honestly, the letting go of Charlie is one of the most baffling decisions I've ever seen a Spurs manager make. We've been stuck with Walker and only Walker on the right for the majority of the season, and he's shown he's simply not good enough as a defender. Even if Walker was better than Corluka (very very debatable, if not simply untrue), then why on earth would we get rid of a fantastic back up who could step in for injuries/drops in form, or simply to keep up competition in the squad? Bye bye Harry, I just hope you haven't fudged us up for next year as well as this.

Summing up the history of both player briefly:
Corluka comes to the club,plays brillianty for almost 2 seasons,gets voted 2nd best player of the year 08/09 after Lennon on this very board and everything is going great.
Then he gets injured,has a couple of bad games,people declare him incompetant because of his lack of pace and he doesn't get a run of games ever again.

Walker gets into the team,has a good run of games but then starts making mistakes.
I m positive today was the 6th or 7th goal we conceded directly because of Walker's mistakes,but it's still all good.Why?He has pace,everything else is not so important

Yeah I dont know where people are coming from with all this "Walker is young, he will improve stuff." If he does not possess the technique to pass an opponent by now then I doubt he will ever develop this skill. Same goes for his GHod awful attempts to cross. Lets compare these attributes with Benny. Yes he is flawed too, but at least he has some technique and can beat a man.

Walker has a very poor first touch and isn't able to cross at all, he gets in some great positions but they are always awful.

Its another of Harry's fudge ups. Loan on charlie in Jan so that we have one RB for the rest of the season and Walker has to play every game in every competition. Absolutely pathetic. Young players need resting now and then

Taking away any country biase this guy is seriously I something... Corlukandor all his goodpoimts is the slowest player in the f?ú&@ing league!!!! He is not a bad defender but certainly nit good hence why bricky sold him.

He will do well in germany but never great. Walker has potential to be great!!!!

Whether he reaches that potential has a lot of ifs, buts any maybes attached

Summing up the history of both player briefly:
Corluka comes to the club,plays brillianty for almost 2 seasons,gets voted 2nd best player of the year 08/09 after Lennon on this very board and everything is going great.
Then he gets injured,has a couple of bad games,people declare him incompetant because of his lack of pace and he doesn't get a run of games ever again.

Walker gets into the team,has a good run of games but then starts making mistakes.
I m positive today was the 6th or 7th goal we conceded directly because of Walker's mistakes,but it's still all good.Why?He has pace,everything else is not so important

You summed it up nicely. I used to love Vedran. Slow, yes, but still a very competent fotballer

Rolls Royce. I'm sure I've heard that mentioned on here (or the old board rather) more than once about Corluka. Good player who was suffering a dip in form.

Charlie and Walker are a great combo to have as right backs. Completely opposite in styles but should be looked on as tools for the job at hand. I have to echo the sentiments that letting him leave was not in the club's best interests, and I said as much when it happened.

Walker is a kid who has a bright future at Spurs, but players go off form (like Charlie), get fatigued and get injured. Harry's ear was bent by Corluka and he let him leave so he would get game time and a place in the Croatian Euro squad. It was a sentimental, even human, decision but I'm 100% sure Ferguson or Wenger would not have ceded to this request.

The other thing I don't like about Walker is he seems gobby and keen to attack others. When he made that back post tackle that saved a goal he was up gobbing at someone like Bid Daddy Mac. Compare that to King who would have had no reaction and just got ready for the corner most likely. And anyway King's been at the club for over a decade and Walker's been here five minutes.

Walkers crosses remind me of our poor set pieces. What is going on at the training ground? Walker is a liability in defense and he has to offer far more going forward to account for that. Corluka was decent enough and I dont remember him being beaten for pace that often. He also seemed to be a defender first while at the same time linked well with Lennon. I think Walker hasnt got that balance yet.

Corluka's crossing? I can't seem to remember Corluka ever being able to get into position for crossing. Having said that, he's definitely safer at the back than Walker, and plays better with Lennon. Walker will be good though, just needs some time.

Corluka was too slow, too weak and offered nothing going forward. Walker has been terrible recently but Corluka wouldn't give us anything more. Never understand why people think so highly of our former players who were average at best. Someone at the game yesterday claimed that Pav would be on 30 goals by now if he had played as much as Adebayor!!

Total nonsense.

Look, Corluka was booted off to Germany because he offered fudge all to us. We all know he's slow - but I can ignore that and see whether other parts of his game make up for it. THEY DON'T. Corluka used amble over to a winger, not bother to stick a challenge in and - what I think is fudging criminal for a fullback - not even make a proper attempt to block the cross which the winger whips in. fudge that! U don't need pace to stick your leg out with some conviction, yet he's too fudging lazy to do it. He lacks heart and it's unacceptable; plenty of set-pieces would drift to the far post, and 'Charlie' would get beaten to the flight of the ball by the incoming attacker. Yet again, you don't need pace to do that - just a fudging brain and some balls. He was/is a very lazy defender, and we don't have the luxury of carrying brick like that.

Is Walker the answer? I think he will be, given time. Some of you forget that he's still very very young; he'll make mistakes, and he'll learn from them. What he has on his side is pace and physique - and in a league where that's soooo important, he has a chance. I've seen enough in Walker to see a future superstar, so I honesty suggest some of you lay off hammering our young players.

Getting rid of deadwood like Corluka WASN'T a mistake. Leverkusen made us an offer, we liked the look of it, and therefore he finds his arse over in Germany. We're he of ANY use to us whatsoever, he'd still be in the squad. That he is nowhere near it, tells you all you ever need to know about him.

Corluka was too slow, too weak and offered nothing going forward. Walker has been terrible recently but Corluka wouldn't give us anything more. Never understand why people think so highly of our former players who were average at best. Someone at the game yesterday claimed that Pav would be on 30 goals by now if he had played as much as Adebayor!!

If being the best full back we or England have ever had that was the best at linking up with and releasing Lennon counts as "nothing going forward" then I'm a garden gnome.

-----------

Before the season started I wanted us to play Corluka in the bigger games where his defensive solidity would be more important and Walker in the games against "smaller teams" where his attacking power would benefit us the most, with us looking to probably give Walker more games against better teams as he developed. I never quite understood why we didn't do this. I will again hope for this when the summer comes around again.

Nominated for PFA young player of the year

Well done Kyle

Can't wait to see him playing for England for the next 5 years

COYS

Back