• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker-Peters

Some on here would benefit from being educated on football coaching and tactics.... KWP’s main passing options in our formation yesterday would be Dembele, Kane, Vertonghen and Wanyama.

I would imagine that Pochettino would be horrified if his right sided midfielder unilaterally decided to head over to the left side to help out KWP. All it would then take would be a simple long diagonal ball from the opposition to create a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 situation against Trippier, and considering Nouble had by far the better of Trippier physically putting him in danger of that scenario would be madness.
The way I saw it Sissoko came in as the main alternative to Eriksen. Part of Eriksen's job is to link play between defence and attack which he does by roaming all over the park. Are you really suggesting that our link players stick to one side of the pitch all game? I confess I know little about coaching tactics etc, but I would be amazed if for example Eriksen's heat maps showed that he sticks to one side of the pitch. So I do not see it as unreasonable to expect Sissoko to do his share, which is all I am suggesting.

Also Poch has often said he expects his players to be leaders all over the park. There was precious little sign of leadership from any of our midfielders in that game. Not one of them went out of their way to support KWP. In that respect they were frankly all a disgrace.

The way I saw it Sissoko came in as the main alternative to Eriksen. Part of Eriksen's job is to link play between defence and attack which he does by roaming all over the park. Are you really suggesting that our link players stick to one side of the pitch all game? I confess I know little about coaching tactics etc, but I would be amazed if for example Eriksen's heat maps showed that he sticks to one side of the pitch. So I do not see it as unreasonable to expect Sissoko to do his share, which is all I am suggesting.

Also Poch has often said he expects his players to be leaders all over the park. There was precious little sign of leadership from any of our midfielders in that game. Not one of them went out of their way to support KWP. In that respect they were frankly all a disgrace.
You weren’t really simply suggesting that you just expected Sissoko to do his share, you were digging him out for not helping out a player that he had no business helping out in the formation that Pochettino played. Had Sissoko decided to drift to the left to help out KWP, it would’ve distorted our shape badly, completely against Pochettino’s setting up of the team. Had he have done this I think he would’ve been hooked at half time, and rightly so, managers don’t set up a formation only for the players to resort to playground football.

Yes Eriksen does sometimes have a reasonably free role, but that tends to be when we play with Kane alone up front with Ali, Son and Eriksen interchanging behind him. We were not playing that way at all yesterday with both Kane and Llorente up front (although Kane was kind of playing as a number 10 type) and therefore no midfield player with a free role.

You can dig out Dembele for not helping KWP enough, also to an extent Wanyama, also to an extent Kane, but to suggest Sissoko suggests to me that you either don’t understand the normal tactics employed under our formation yesterday or just fancied a dig at Sissoko.

You weren’t really simply suggesting that you just expected Sissoko to do his share, you were digging him out for not helping out a player that he had no business helping out in the formation that Pochettino played. Had Sissoko decided to drift to the left to help out KWP, it would’ve distorted our shape badly, completely against Pochettino’s setting up of the team. Had he have done this I think he would’ve been hooked at half time, and rightly so, managers don’t set up a formation only for the players to resort to playground football.

Yes Eriksen does sometimes have a reasonably free role, but that tends to be when we play with Kane alone up front with Ali, Son and Eriksen interchanging behind him. We were not playing that way at all yesterday with both Kane and Llorente up front (although Kane was kind of playing as a number 10 type) and therefore no midfield player with a free role.

You can dig out Dembele for not helping KWP enough, also to an extent Wanyama, also to an extent Kane, but to suggest Sissoko suggests to me that you either don’t understand the normal tactics employed under our formation yesterday or just fancied a dig at Sissoko.

Sorry but that is quite unfair and a misrepresentation of my original argument. You will see from my first post on this issue (below) I pointed the finger of blame at several including Poch, Dembele, Sissoko and Kane. At no point anywhere in this discussiom have I specifically picked out Sissoko.

The reality is it was you who first picked him out from those I named to argue the reasons in your opinion he should not be included. From there I have merely stuck to my guns and insisted he should be included as one who must take his share of the blame. I repeat, I saw his role as replacing Eriksen and therefore expected him to take his share of the responsibility. You saw his role differently.

I remain convinced Sissoko should have done his bit along with the others I mentioned to help KWP out. If you want to call that digging Sissoko out then of course that is your prerogative but it sounds to me like it is you who are the one that has a bee in your bonnet where Sissoko is concerned, not me.

Pretty much every time he ((KWP) went down the flank yesterday he was left to fend for himself, surrounded by two, three or even four defenders with no support from any white shirt in sight. From his point of view it was nothing short of scandalous.

Poch has to shoulder much of the blame for leaving out both Son and Dele and fielding such an unbalanced side but it also begs questions of Dembele and Sissoko as well as Kane, all of whom must have been able to see what was going on and should therefore have been busting a gut to go and support him. Point being he was by some distance our most inexperienced player on the park.

If as a result Poch decides not to risk KWP in the replay I fear for his future because it's then going to be difficult to bring him in against tougher opposition at the later stages of the FA Cup (should we even progress any further) so it could be that last night's game has marked a cruel turning point in his development.

Sorry but that is quite unfair and a misrepresentation of my original argument. You will see from my first post on this issue (below) I pointed the finger of blame at several including Poch, Dembele, Sissoko and Kane. At no point anywhere in this discussiom have I specifically picked out Sissoko.

The reality is it was you who first picked him out from those I named to argue the reasons in your opinion he should not be included. From there I have merely stuck to my guns and insisted he should be included as one who must take his share of the blame. I repeat, I saw his role as replacing Eriksen and therefore expected him to take his share of the responsibility. You saw his role differently.

I remain convinced Sissoko should have done his bit along with the others I mentioned to help KWP out. If you want to call that digging Sissoko out then of course that is your prerogative but it sounds to me like it is you who are the one that has a bee in your bonnet where Sissoko is concerned, not me.
I commented as your post showed a complete lack of awareness of the system and shape that Poch had set up. I recommend you getting some education in football tactics and coaching, while nothing can beat actual hands on experience, there are some very good books out there that explain systems and how to counter systems. You can then be aware of things like standard passing lanes and positions to take up in and out of possession, so that you can make informed opinions as opposed to having expectations that don’t make any sense. I maintain my belief that Poch would’ve been fuming if Sissoko had decided to abandon his duties on the right hand side to go and help out KWP. Even a team at the level of Newport would look to instantly exploit that with a no lose gamble overloading our right hand side.

I commented as your post showed a complete lack of awareness of the system and shape that Poch had set up. I recommend you getting some education in football tactics and coaching, while nothing can beat actual hands on experience, there are some very good books out there that explain systems and how to counter systems. You can then be aware of things like standard passing lanes and positions to take up in and out of possession, so that you can make informed opinions as opposed to having expectations that don’t make any sense. I maintain my belief that Poch would’ve been fuming if Sissoko had decided to abandon his duties on the right hand side to go and help out KWP. Even a team at the level of Newport would look to instantly exploit that with a no lose gamble overloading our right hand side.

We're so lucky to have football experts like you to show us the way, no idea they'd written books about football until you mentioned it. Teach a man to fish etc etc

A bit much, dont you think?

Player has a 'mare and gets hooked. Its happened to everyone at some point. I doubt it will break him and ruin his career.
If he lets that affect him then he isn’t the right player for us anyway IMO.

I would imagine Poch will have sat him down today, gone through the video to show him what he expected that was better (and not just the 2 badly miscontrolled balls - I would imagine Poch will ignore those as the player will not need to see them again) and told him to learn from the experience.

Im seeing reports on NewsNow (so basically the one report copied elsewhere) that he is having something of a falling out with the club, on account of him wanting a loan to go and play at RB as he prefers where as we want to keep him as cover.

SCBC linked, I dont know who they have at RB so dont know if they need him.

Which, at the very least, would suggest he hasnt been broken by the experience of getting substituted.

Looks like I’ve caught myself a whopper. ;)

Whopper isn't a bad choice of word for you. It's perfectly fine to think you know something, but there's no need to be a bellend about it.

Back to kwp, a real shame he can't get a loan. If in the rare opportunity he does play, those around him offer little to none support he is better off elsewhere for the meantime playing his actual position.

Whopper isn't a bad choice of word for you. It's perfectly fine to think you know something, but there's no need to be a bellend about it.

Back to kwp, a real shame he can't get a loan. If in the rare opportunity he does play, those around him offer little to none support he is better off elsewhere for the meantime playing his actual position.
And to think I actually chose my original words pretty carefully to try not to appear too patronising. :) I think it just ended up being too difficult to not be a bellend when somebody was digging out the right sided midfielder for not helping out the left wing back.

Anyway re: KWP and a loan. I think it would benefit him massively to go out and play in his preferred position on the right. Anywhere in the Championship would do and there must be a number of teams that would like to have him as first choice? Surely a good half season at that level would be better for his development than the odd game here or there for us?

Anyway re: KWP and a loan. I think it would benefit him massively to go out and play in his preferred position on the right. Anywhere in the Championship would do and there must be a number of teams that would like to have him as first choice? Surely a good half season at that level would be better for his development than the odd game here or there for us?

Same thought here, right now he's too far away from first team readiness to see enough game time to help him develop. Loan and see where he goes from there.

I do think a loan deal would be good for him, i think the hype that some have surrounded him with since the summer has been a little OTT, he was one of our worst players ( imo) on Saturday and he has a long way to go to become a fixture in the first team ( imo).

If Toby is close to a return, then Dier can emergency cover RB.
We are just a little thin, with Dier CB, CM and RB. And Verts emergency LB.
Rose looking shaky with fitness. Dembele could break any time. Winks an issue too.

It's risky to loan him out. I would loan him and keep Foyth in the squad.

Back