• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker-Peters

What message does that send to both Tripps AND Aurier if, during a bit of a slump, we bench one and shelve the other for a relatively untried youth player!!!?

I know we're all a bit upset, but i don't think the RB position is really our main problem is it. Let's look at our lack of creativity (i'm talking to you Christian) and getting the first choice midfield back first eh?

Actually I do think both our fullbacks are a significant part of the lack of form in current team.

- When we destroyed teams on the back end of last season, our FBs played a big part, even if the role is only to give Eriksen/Dele more space by dragging players out.

Davies & Trippier in my opinion have been poor for some time (doesn't mean they are brick, just not as dangerous), let me explain
- When Trippier plays well, he hits/crosses balls early (that is what hurts teams that are trying to sit back, they simply don't get the time to get back into shape), look at Trippier over a lot of this season, he gets the pass from midfield, does this stand on the ball brick, roll it, then pass back or sideways, opposition gets into shape, we can't break them down.
- Davies at the end of last season and first couple of games this season was attacking the box, being that extra attacker at the far post, again either becoming a goal scoring threat himself or dragging defenders to cover. How many times in his last 7 games has he made that attacking run into box?

Rose is unfit, and Aurier needs time to adapt, so while no one in my opinion is brick, in a side that likes to play 3 at back, depending on the FBs to contribute heavily, we are seeing the midfield labour along, in some part due to FBs not being as effective as they can be on form.

Back to KWP, said it before, like Josh, doesn't excite me, just don't see him as even as second choice in long run.

Back to KWP, said it before, like Josh, doesn't excite me, just don't see him as even as second choice in long run.
From what I've seen of him I reckon he has real potential.Watched him quite a lot in the U19 WC and saw enough to conclude he could be an exciting WB for us, whether on the left or the right. Would be interested to discover what @Yoof makes of him but my impression is he has good energy and movement, harasses and tackles opponents well, likes to get involved, has the ability to take on players and initiate attacks from deep.

The only thing I feel he really needs to work on more is his crossing, which imo can be a bit wayward

Can he cross? If yes, lets take a Poch leap of faith and promote this guy into the starting eleven once Rose is shipped off to Utd. This season could be far worse spent than developing our already good bunch of youngsters into first team players.

From what I've seen of him I reckon he has real potential.Watched him quite a lot in the U19 WC and saw enough to conclude he could be an exciting WB for us, whether on the left or the right. Would be interested to discover what @Yoof makes of him but my impression is he has good energy and movement, harasses and tackles opponents well, likes to get involved, has the ability to take on players and initiate attacks from deep.

The only thing I feel he really needs to work on more is his crossing, which imo can be a bit wayward

I rate him highly. He's a quick, intelligent heads-up player and one of the most elusive dribblers I've seen at any level, he still needs to work on the physical aspects of his game but that should come in time. He doesn't really look to cross the ball from deep like Trippier, typically he likes to make runs off the ball and look to get in behind to play cut-backs or put low crosses in across goal. When he plays at left-back he cuts inside and crosses from wide a lot more though as he doesn't trust his left foot on the run. Hopefully he goes out on loan in January and gets some games under his belt.

Actually I do think both our fullbacks are a significant part of the lack of form in current team.

- When we destroyed teams on the back end of last season, our FBs played a big part, even if the role is only to give Eriksen/Dele more space by dragging players out.

Davies & Trippier in my opinion have been poor for some time (doesn't mean they are brick, just not as dangerous), let me explain
- When Trippier plays well, he hits/crosses balls early (that is what hurts teams that are trying to sit back, they simply don't get the time to get back into shape), look at Trippier over a lot of this season, he gets the pass from midfield, does this stand on the ball brick, roll it, then pass back or sideways, opposition gets into shape, we can't break them down.
- Davies at the end of last season and first couple of games this season was attacking the box, being that extra attacker at the far post, again either becoming a goal scoring threat himself or dragging defenders to cover. How many times in his last 7 games has he made that attacking run into box?

Rose is unfit, and Aurier needs time to adapt, so while no one in my opinion is brick, in a side that likes to play 3 at back, depending on the FBs to contribute heavily, we are seeing the midfield labour along, in some part due to FBs not being as effective as they can be on form.

I agree with a lot of this. Trippier and Davies dont seem to be attacking as much as before and certainly not getting to the by-line which makes us far, far easier to defend against as we have no width and no pace behind defences. I'd actually class them both more as full-backs rather than wing-backs, though Davies did a good job second half of last season and very start of this one at being Rose-like with his attacking. I have to admit to not being Trippier's biggest fan - he's far from awful, just I dont think he's a top 4 quality wing back and, per above, more a full-back not a wing-back.

I'd actually be happy to see KWP given a go. Aurier looks like a liability at the moment, and I dont see why KWP shouldnt be given a chance if the senior guys ahead of him aren't producing the goods.

I agree with a lot of this. Trippier and Davies dont seem to be attacking as much as before and certainly not getting to the by-line which makes us far, far easier to defend against as we have no width and no pace behind defences. I'd actually class them both more as full-backs rather than wing-backs, though Davies did a good job second half of last season and very start of this one at being Rose-like with his attacking. I have to admit to not being Trippier's biggest fan - he's far from awful, just I dont think he's a top 4 quality wing back and, per above, more a full-back not a wing-back.

I'd actually be happy to see KWP given a go. Aurier looks like a liability at the moment, and I dont see why KWP shouldnt be given a chance if the senior guys ahead of him aren't producing the goods.

Thing with KWP in a Poch world is his lack of physicality, Poch likes players who can be physically imposing (and yes, there are a couple of exceptions, e.g. Winks), but KWP & Edwards lack that.

Bad game yesterday. But i think it is clear he is a right back not a left one.

So far this has been a wasted season in his development.

30 league games for a championship side would have ironed out some of his basic mistakes that come from a lack of game experience.

He clearly has skill but needs to learn game managment.

I read once that most players take 50 games to feel settled and able to show their skills on the pitch. W-P needs a season long loan.

Is good oakley booth trains with the first team this season but i would suggest he could/should have a loan next season.

Bad game yesterday. But i think it is clear he is a right back not a left one.

So far this has been a wasted season in his development.

30 league games for a championship side would have ironed out some of his basic mistakes that come from a lack of game experience.

He clearly has skill but needs to learn game managment.

I read once that most players take 50 games to feel settled and able to show their skills on the pitch. W-P needs a season long loan.

Is good oakley booth trains with the first team this season but i would suggest he could/should have a loan next season.

He looked a little overawed yesterday. Based on that it would be a risk having him as second choice RB next season and make a loan the better option but it might've just been a bad day at the office.

Pretty much every time he went down the flank yesterday he was left to fend for himself, surrounded by two, three or even four defenders with no support from any white shirt in sight. From his point of view it was nothing short of scandalous.

Poch has to shoulder much of the blame for leaving out both Son and Dele and fielding such an unbalanced side but it also begs questions of Dembele and Sissoko as well as Kane, all of whom must have been able to see what was going on and should therefore have been busting a gut to go and support him. Point being he was by some distance our most inexperienced player on the park.

If as a result Poch decides not to risk KWP in the replay I fear for his future because it's then going to be difficult to bring him in against tougher opposition at the later stages of the FA Cup (should we even progress any further) so it could be that last night's game has marked a cruel turning point in his development.

He looked a little overawed yesterday. Based on that it would be a risk having him as second choice RB next season and make a loan the better option but it might've just been a bad day at the office.
Well he didn’t look overawed having his debut away at St James park, he was just poor like most of the team....

Pretty much every time he went down the flank yesterday he was left to fend for himself, surrounded by two, three or even four defenders with no support from any white shirt in sight. From his point of view it was nothing short of scandalous.

Poch has to shoulder much of the blame for leaving out both Son and Dele and fielding such an unbalanced side but it also begs questions of Dembele and Sissoko as well as Kane, all of whom must have been able to see what was going on and should therefore have been busting a gut to go and support him. Point being he was by some distance our most inexperienced player on the park.

If as a result Poch decides not to risk KWP in the replay I fear for his future because it's then going to be difficult to bring him in against tougher opposition at the later stages of the FA Cup (should we even progress any further) so it could be that last night's game has marked a cruel turning point in his development.
I am intrigued as to why you call out Sissoko here? Sissoko was playing on the right side of the midfield diamond (as I think it was supposed to be). Trippier didn’t have the same problem of having to fend for himself at all over on the right hand side so it is pretty clear that Dembele wasn’t doing his job in this instance.

Why do you think Sissoko should’ve been over there helping him? Sissoko was playing on the right side of the midfield diamond (as Imthink it was supposed to be). Trippier didn’t have the same problem of having to fend for himself, so it is pretty clear that Dembele wasn’t doing his job in this instance.

I'd agree it was probably Dembele's main responsibility but I'm puzzled as to why you wouldn't want other midfielders to go and support an inexperienced LWB when they see how isolated and beleagured he is? Midfielders are always roaming widely as the game dictates, it's rare for them to stick to just one side of the pitch. That's why.

I'd agree it was probably Dembele's main responsibility but I'm puzzled as to why you wouldn't want other midfielders to go and support an inexperienced LWB when they see how isolated and beleagured he is? Midfielders are always roaming widely as the game dictates, it's rare for them to stick to just one side of the pitch. That's why.
Some on here would benefit from being educated on football coaching and tactics.... KWP’s main passing options in our formation yesterday would be Dembele, Kane, Vertonghen and Wanyama.

I would imagine that Pochettino would be horrified if his right sided midfielder unilaterally decided to head over to the left side to help out KWP. All it would then take would be a simple long diagonal ball from the opposition to create a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 situation against Trippier, and considering Nouble had by far the better of Trippier physically putting him in danger of that scenario would be madness.

I thought he was the second worst player on the pitch after Wanyama in that first half yesterday. It is quite rare for Poch to make half time substitutions but yesterday’s was warranted.

Well for me Dembele was gash, Llorente was awful too and Trippier didn’t do anything for most of the game

I agree with the earlier comments that KWP was always mobbed when he got the ball

Well for me Dembele was gash, Llorente was awful too and Trippier didn’t do anything for most of the game

I agree with the earlier comments that KWP was always mobbed when he got the ball
I agree with all of the above. My worry with KWP wasn’t his play when we had the ball (as you say he was mobbed and was given no passing options). My worry was his performance when Newport had the ball, his positioning just appeared off for the entire half, he was neither attacking, nor defending which made it easy for Newport to attack that flank.

Read some rumour earlier that he might go to Southampton or Swansea on loan for the rest of the season. Not entirely what the point of that would be unless their current RBs (Cedric and Naughton?) have an injury. That said, finding a loan where he might play regular football for the rest of the season I think would be good for him, and might give us the confidence to flog Trippier in the summer

Read some rumour earlier that he might go to Southampton or Swansea on loan for the rest of the season. Not entirely what the point of that would be unless their current RBs (Cedric and Naughton?) have an injury. That said, finding a loan where he might play regular football for the rest of the season I think would be good for him, and might give us the confidence to flog Trippier in the summer
A decent championship loan would be good for him IMO. See how he defends at that level playing in his true position.

Back