• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

I don't believe any signing news til I see the picture.

I imagine Poch holidays in Barcelona anyway - not much of a schlep to get down to Ibiza and take the customary photo outside a nightclub or something before allowing Trippier to get back to his well-earned break. :p

I find it interesting that we've bumped Trippier up to 65k. That puts him, while not at the very top, pretty far up there. Didn't Eriksen sign for 75k in the end? Kane and Lloris on 100k?

Rather than Walker going, I wouldn't be surprised if we announce he's been bumped up to say 90k, as the more experienced full back.

I find it interesting that we've bumped Trippier up to 65k. That puts him, while not at the very top, pretty far up there. Didn't Eriksen sign for 75k in the end? Kane and Lloris on 100k?

Rather than Walker going, I wouldn't be surprised if we announce he's been bumped up to say 90k, as the more experienced full back.
I know none of us wants to believe this but that massive boost to Trippier's contract says Walker is already a goner and KT has been promoted to the No.1 RWB spot for next season.

...Because we're Spurs and i don't believe we pay backup players, however decent or promising they might be, 65k a week. That kind of money for predominantly a bench player sends out waves to others.

But full backs in our squad are not really back ups. They cover the most ground, get the most run down and need the most rotation out of all the players. Trippier represents everything Poch wants to see, hard work, team orientated, improved every year, we are definitely going to want to keep him happy and send a message to current and potential players that hard work gets rewarded.

It could just as easily mean Walker is gone and Trippier is first choice, but I don't think it's certain either way. There is an argument to say we are increasing our scale now we are moving into bigger stadiums, and Trips is the first beneficiary.

But full backs in our squad are not really back ups. They cover the most ground, get the most run down and need the most rotation out of all the players. Trippier represents everything Poch wants to see, hard work, team orientated, improved every year, we are definitely going to want to keep him happy and send a message to current and potential players that hard work gets rewarded.

It could just as easily mean Walker is gone and Trippier is first choice, but I don't think it's certain either way. There is an argument to say we are increasing our scale now we are moving into bigger stadiums, and Trips is the first beneficiary.

I agree

He is hardly a back up player if he plays 20 games a season

65k takes him up there with Eric Dier, but far behind our best paid players. First choice XI either already are on, or will demand at their next contract, 100k+
This is just Trippier's market value imo, a reward for his good performances and enough to keep him at the club as other clubs (almost everyone in the PL) would be willing to pay him the same.

I agree

He is hardly a back up player if he plays 20 games a season
Okay let's take a closer look at those appearances.

Premier League: His one and only start before April was against Watford on January 1st when Walker was suspended. Other than that he was used as a sub on three occasions for a total of 23 minutes.

From April onwards he started alternating with Walker and it wasn't long after that rumours began to circulate about a bust-up between Walker and his manager over the latter's fitness to play two games a week.

All other competitions: Trippier made a total of ten starts in non-PL competitions including three CL games and the League Cup SF against Chelsea in May.

The conclusion I draw from that together with the massive uplift in his contract is that Trippier is now no longer seen as a back-up player but at the very least on an equal footing with Walker. It is of course possible that Poch will continue to alternate them both for PL games in the coming season but given all the speculation about KW's move to City it all seems increasingly doubtful to me.

65k takes him up there with Eric Dier, but far behind our best paid players. First choice XI either already are on, or will demand at their next contract, 100k+
This is just Trippier's market value imo, a reward for his good performances and enough to keep him at the club as other clubs (almost everyone in the PL) would be willing to pay him the same.

This for me as well, he is also now a full international player and shown he can be relied on when he plays for us. Walker MAY be on his way but i do not think that this new contract for Trippier suggests it is certain.

Okay let's take a closer look at those appearances.

Premier League: His one and only start before April was against Watford on January 1st when Walker was suspended. Other than that he was used as a sub on three occasions for a total of 23 minutes.

From April onwards he started alternating with Walker and it wasn't long after that rumours began to circulate about a bust-up between Walker and his manager over the latter's fitness to play two games a week.

All other competitions: Trippier made a total of ten starts in non-PL competitions including three CL games and the League Cup SF against Chelsea in May.

The conclusion I draw from that together with the massive uplift in his contract is that Trippier is now no longer seen as a back-up player but at the very least on an equal footing with Walker. It is of course possible that Poch will continue to alternate them both for PL games in the coming season but given all the speculation about KW's move to City it all seems increasingly doubtful to me.

But the speculation is competing from the gutter press putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with a number to suit

They have even played the homesick card.... yet his kids go to school down here and he has never once made a negative comment about living down south.

I'm not saying he won't go but I do think its a convenient story that suits Emirates Marketing Project's need for English players (and they have much more in the way of press leaks than we do)

And Ben Davies signed a new contract last seaon too didn't he? He also played a lot of games... difference was no one speculated on his wages

Back