• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

It's tough for Josh, as he has to get past both Winks and Dembele, or play higher up which isn't really his wheelhouse just like it wasn't Dembele's. He functions better the more options he has ahead of him.

It's tough for Josh, as he has to get past both Winks and Dembele, or play higher up which isn't really his wheelhouse just like it wasn't Dembele's. He functions better the more options he has ahead of him.

He's had a lot of cameos though - even if slightly out of position, you'd have hoped that he would have shown something by now....a decent pass, beat a man, even just a bit of clear work-rate...

Dembele is just saying he was one of the best performers in his England group, which won the WC in their group. It's not a stretch to say Josh is clearly a talent for that reason.

And there was an interview with Josh the day before where he said he looked up to and tried to learn from Dembele etc etc, so it's as much a part of the club PR machine as anything else. (Not saying what either said is not true, just that there's maybe a bit of returning the compliment).

He's had a lot of cameos though - even if slightly out of position, you'd have hoped that he would have shown something by now....a decent pass, beat a man, even just a bit of clear work-rate...

I don't question his work rate for a second. He wouldn't be anywhere near a Poch first team if that was a problem.

And I've seen enough of his passing and the way he thinks about the game from his appearances in our short and for England groups to know what he is capable of doing. It will all come for him when he plays deeper. But he's an 8, not a 7 or a 10. He isn't going to beat 3 men at pace and bang it in from range, but he may take the ball on the half turn, beat a man and play in the player that will do that. Dembele never looked like the genius he is when he played as one of the attacking midfield trio.

I don't question his work rate for a second. He wouldn't be anywhere near a Poch first team if that was a problem.

And I've seen enough of his passing and the way he thinks about the game from his appearances in our short and for England groups to know what he is capable of doing. It will all come for him when he plays deeper. But he's an 8, not a 7 or a 10. He isn't going to beat 3 men at pace and bang it in from range, but he may take the ball on the half turn, beat a man and play in the player that will do that. Dembele never looked like the genius he is when he played as one of the attacking midfield trio.

He did just that this summer....

He doesn't as an attacker

But as a centre mid he was top drawer
I had only ever seen Josh in a Spurs shirt and thought he was distinctly average but still happy to give him time.

However having watched a few of the England games he looked like a different player, and I just cant believe he hasnt been getting some minutes in CM! I just hope Poch gives him a chance there this season, Ive no interest in seeing him out wide....

I had only ever seen Josh in a Spurs shirt and thought he was distinctly average but still happy to give him time.

However having watched a few of the England games he looked like a different player, and I just cant believe he hasnt been getting some minutes in CM! I just hope Poch gives him a chance there this season, Ive no interest in seeing him out wide....

It's sensible to break young players in in less pressurised positions. Young CBs often get a few outings at FB etc.

Poch even introduced Dembele at AM for a while, before he coached him enough to trust him at CM.

It's sensible to break young players in in less pressurised positions. Young CBs often get a few outings at FB etc.

Poch even introduced Dembele at AM for a while, before he coached him enough to trust him at CM.
Thats a fair logic, but he looks like he can deal with the pressure of CM and youre never going to know until he actually plays him there and he should have at least played him there in cup games etc to start off with. He never played Winks out wide did he?

Thats a fair logic, but he looks like he can deal with the pressure of CM and youre never going to know until he actually plays him there and he should have at least played him there in cup games etc to start off with. He never played Winks out wide did he?
Winks and other examples seem to indicate that Poch does know with some certainty before actually playing a player in that role.

Edit: I think we're starting to see signs of Onomah stepping up to the level required to play for us in central midfield. U21 and the PSG game he's showing the kind of tackling and physical bravery that is required where before he seemed a bit more timid or careful. Defensive awareness and discipline also looking better imo.

Our right hand side was criticized a bit against PSG as open. But we had 3 academy lads playing there, CCV, Walker Peters and Onomah. Up against a rather good side. And Onomah certainly did his part.

Last edited:

Individuals are different though. But remember even Kane got introduced at AM for quite a while, before being moved to #9.

Also Onomah is an age group below Winks, so you've got to compare him to Winks of 12 months ago, not Winks now.

And Onomah's game, like Dembele, is going to be a lot about his physicality (this really shows playing in his age group), whereas Winks' game is about his vision and passing.

Individuals are different though. But remember even Kane got introduced at AM for quite a while, before being moved to #9.

Also Onomah is an age group below Winks, so you've got to compare him to Winks of 12 months ago, not Winks now.

And Onomah's game, like Dembele, is going to be a lot about his physicality (this really shows playing in his age group), whereas Winks' game is about his vision and passing.
Winks may well have the edge when it comes to passing because that's his forte but imo Onomah is not that far behind either. And where vision is concerned I'd argue Onomah is at least a match for him on that front.

Difference is one has shown he can do it at PL level, the other only at youth internationals.*

*Edit: so far! :D

Winks may well have the edge when it comes to passing because that's his forte but imo Onomah is not that far behind either. And where vision is concerned I'd argue Onomah is at least a match for him on that front.

Difference is one has shown he can do it at PL level, the other only at youth internationals.*

*Edit: so far! :D

I think they could be the CM partnership that bosses our title wins through the early 2020s (or perhaps one alongside Dier)

Winks played AM from the bench and in cup games a few times before CM.
And he looked very calm and collected, like he knew how to handle the flow of the game.
That is what Onomah hasn't done yet in his cameos so it maybe a slightly different route to first team - probably switching up the cameos with a mix of AM and CM, especially in games where Diet can join the CM if it isn't quite working.

Yeah I can subscribe to your logic - My biggest point being Id like to see him given some time at CM this season even if only for his brief cameos, I think hes shown he can cope under pressure. But I trust in Poch to do so when he feels hes ready....

Back