• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

We need better quality in all these positions
Maybe
But fixing the biggest weaknesses first helps
Despite all the people blaming CM ... it’s clear the club were happy to get rid of only one CM (wanyama) whereas they were happy to lose Rose and Aurier (according to both players) so we recognise we need FBs

I see a lot are still saying give Mourinho time and money. Do people honestly think he will get money? And if so when.

As I posted here this week. Imo, this current crop will not be turned by Jose. The mini bounce is well and truly over.

We’ve already been told there will be likely be no ins this window. Therefore: The target this season of 4th and a cup is a mile off. And if we give him one window close season and 100m - do we think that will solve everything?

This is a major rebuild job, as we were told by Poch. Multiple windows and big money.

I see no solution this season or next. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Dead horse argument .. truth is we will see

Most logical statement, the club will spend money, we always have (bar one window), is it as much as we may want/need? see above.

I do not believe for one minute that the club thinks this squad will revert to what it was 3 years ago without investment, nor do I believe Jose came in with zero assurances that he would at least be able to buy 2-3 players.

I expect there will be something in January, truth is Gold and other journalists have no real insight to anything at the club and are just saying things based on club PR statements (do you expect Levy/Jose to come out and say "we know we need 3 players and we are going to spend 100M+ to fix?" perfect way to get fleeced)

2 top full backs would make a massive massive difference
Our game and the modern game is so reliant on the width that you get from full backs and we have one in Davies who can do a job. The rest are past it, useless or just untrusted
Davies can do the job defensively if he is trusted and plays consistently. Offensively he's still below par, his crossing isn't the best but he is a good user of the ball in the final third. Realistically we need new first choice options on both sides.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

We have options in CB and CM... we don’t at FB. We have players were happy to leave at FB which says a lot

I would also say FB's are what we really should focus on first, i like Davies and he would be a better option then anyone else ( we have now) at LB but it seems he has been injured/ill for a while now.

Bang on. People talking like he’s going to be given 150m for 5 new players. I just don’t see it.

Alasdair Gold done a very fair video yesterday. He said he thought 1 or 2 new faces could change things up. I guess if you combined those with GLC and Ndom finding some form then maybe. That’s the realistic version imo.

This - plus get rid of those who are having a negative effect. That’s THE most important thing.

A striker trumps both CM (and RB). At left back Davies, Rose, Verts are an impressive selection.

Aurier has done okay this season. He’ll never be the best defensively but he’s doing okay. Foyth has something to offer too imo.

So striker and an all round tenacious midfielder are key

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

A striker trumps both CM (and RB). At left back Davies, Rose, Verts are an impressive selection.

Aurier has done okay this season. He’ll never be the best defensively but he’s doing okay. Foyth has something to offer too imo.

So striker and an all round tenacious midfielder are key

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The fact that a few of us disagree with what is needed shows how many gaps there are in the team. I just think that teams are built on a solid foundation and we're crying out for a commanding CB and, to your point, a work-horse to anchor the midfield and therefore let the likes of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele etc play

Maybe
But fixing the biggest weaknesses first helps
Despite all the people blaming CM ... it’s clear the club were happy to get rid of only one CM (wanyama) whereas they were happy to lose Rose and Aurier (according to both players) so we recognise we need FBs
IIRC it was both Rose and Aurier who wanted to go. In fact Rose's move to Watford was blocked.

py46pnkkuk941.jpg

Their analysis to go with it

Tottenham Hotspur: a defensive midfielder

Perhaps the most surprising thing in the numbers about José Mourinho’s time at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium so far is that he seems to have built a solid defensive shell. They’ve managed to concede 11 non-penalty goals from 6.98 xG, but other than that, the numbers at that end are a stark improvement compared to the end of Mauricio Pochettino’s reign.

Mourinho has been able to do this without much of a functional midfield. Tensions between the two aside, Tanguy Ndombele has looked an exciting forward passer when on the pitch, and Mourinho has found roles for such players in the past. Of course, this has typically been alongside a robust holding midfielder, such as Matić partnering Cesc Fàbregas. With the current candidates for the number six role consisting of Harry Winks, who offers calm passing and little presence in front of the back four, and Eric Dier, whose physical limitations seem increasingly insurmountable, Mourinho can’t field Ndombele with proper protection. This leads Spurs to play a lot of pretty dreadful stuff, muddying up the game to keep things ticking along. (I’m sure you’re all shocked that Mourinho would do this.) So bringing in a high-quality holding midfielder would improve the defence and the attack, giving the side a more secure base from which Ndombele and others could really do their thing and dominate football matches.

Their analysis to go with it

Tottenham Hotspur: a defensive midfielder

Perhaps the most surprising thing in the numbers about José Mourinho’s time at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium so far is that he seems to have built a solid defensive shell. They’ve managed to concede 11 non-penalty goals from 6.98 xG, but other than that, the numbers at that end are a stark improvement compared to the end of Mauricio Pochettino’s reign.

Mourinho has been able to do this without much of a functional midfield. Tensions between the two aside, Tanguy Ndombele has looked an exciting forward passer when on the pitch, and Mourinho has found roles for such players in the past. Of course, this has typically been alongside a robust holding midfielder, such as Matić partnering Cesc Fàbregas. With the current candidates for the number six role consisting of Harry Winks, who offers calm passing and little presence in front of the back four, and Eric Dier, whose physical limitations seem increasingly insurmountable, Mourinho can’t field Ndombele with proper protection. This leads Spurs to play a lot of pretty dreadful stuff, muddying up the game to keep things ticking along. (I’m sure you’re all shocked that Mourinho would do this.) So bringing in a high-quality holding midfielder would improve the defence and the attack, giving the side a more secure base from which Ndombele and others could really do their thing and dominate football matches.

Very interesting and is exactly how I have seen things. Put a half decent defensive midfield in our team and we would instantly be significantly better.

So who are the DMs available in January? Could we tempt Rabiot who is out of favour at Juve? (and more importantly are his wages far too high?). Would Matic be worth bringing in for a short term fix? (not the long term answer but still surely a much better option than Dier?). Could we bring in Soumare and ask him to play a little deeper and more disciplined than he does at Lille? Could Sander Berge be a reasonably priced option? Anyone in the Championship doing a decent job in this position?.... Kalvin Phillips for example? Or should we just stick Skipp in there and see if he sinks or swims?

Further to the above it would be good to see a similar comparison for the attacking output of the team for the same time periods.

Last edited:
Very interesting and is exactly how I have seen things. Put a half decent defensive midfield in our team and we would instantly be significantly better.

So who are the DMs available in January? Could we tempt Rabiot who is out of favour at Juve? (and more importantly are his wages far too high?). Would Matic be worth bringing in for a short term fix? (not the long term answer but still surely a much better option than Dier?). Could we bring in Soumare and ask him to play a little deeper and more disciplined than he does at Lille? Could Sander Berge be a reasonably priced option? Anyone in the Championship doing a decent job in this position?.... Kalvin Phillips for example? Or should we just stick Skipp in there and see if he sinks or swims?

Further to the above it would be good to see a similar comparison for the attacking output of the team for the same time periods.
I absolutely think that is the most important area to address, more so than any issues at FB or the backline. A competent DM will gives us balance, help us control the tempo of matches and will give a platform for our footballers to play.

Back