• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Of course opinions are fun, I suppose my point was at best we should recognise we can only speculate - we cant really speak definitively, and to start talking as if "this is what he will want" is most likely to send yourself away from the truth.

I agree with you, for the most part.

Thing is, I can equally see him adopt more of a 433, or even 541.

I think he is very maleable/flexible - so its almost impossible to call.

Poch - as you say - was far more predictable. He had his ethos and we could call the team he would play from a month away.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-news-jose-mourinho-17434825

How Jose Mourinho and Ed Woodward's relationship at Manchester United unravelled
Jose Mourinho was sacked by Man United a year ago and they are a point worse off despite backing the manager in the summer transfer window.

The biggest mistake Manchester United made with Jose Mourinho was they did not appoint him three years earlier. Or rather, the kingmaker didn't.

Sir Alex Ferguson's blinkered view on British coaches set United back five years and, just when they were on an upward trajectory under Mourinho in 2018, the Glazer family and Ed Woodward set them back again.

In Mourinho's second summer transfer window, United invested £140.9million in three players. In 2018, it nosedived to £72.5m. If there was a graph, it would resemble the period between the Roaring Twenties and the Wall Street Crash. United, runners-up in 2017-18, bought to finish fourth. Liverpool, fourth in 2017-18, bought to win the title. They are nearly there. United are nowhere near.

Mourinho, in his own inimitable and irascible manner, launched the toys and the pram, railing against the complacency of a football club that has had to repeatedly stress silverware is its priority. Those statements have continued this season.

The bar is low, but Mourinho is comfortably United's finest manager post-Ferguson - and the only one they did not back. The United hierarchy sided with players over the manager, empowering millennials and undermining not just Mourinho but his successor. Almost a year to the day since Paul Pogba revelled in a manager's sacking, his behaviour is still - at best - questionable and his name preceded 'disrespect' in some supporters' tweets on Tuesday.

United kowtowed to Pogba by hiring a coach who gave him his Old Trafford debut as a 17-year-old and plays good cop.

Mourinho was never going to prevail in the civil war with Pogba or Anthony Martial, the object of co-chairman Joel Glazer's affection. Martial at least got going when the going got tough, embarking on career-best form under Mourinho in the first half of last season. The club still undermined Mourinho by opening dialogue with Martial's representatives about a new contract two games into the campaign. They danced to his agent Philippe Lamboley's tune.

Senior United sources told the MEN that in June 2018 the club was pleased with the progress under Mourinho and on an upward trajectory, despite the damp squid of an FA Cup final defeat to Chelsea. Come the turbulent tour of the United States in July, alarm bells were blaring as Mourinho counter-briefed United that Martial was not for sale.

Sources at United felt Mourinho instilled a 'paranoid' siege mentality and months after his departure the buck-passing became stronger. The suggestion was Mourinho only demanded a new centre half in June last year, yet intermediaries opened dialogue with Tottenham about the feasibility of a deal for Toby Alderweireld in May. The MEN reported United's interest in Alderweireld in February.

The MEN understands Mourinho only knew three United scouts by name, so compiled his own shortlist of targets with analyst Giovanni Cera, reunited with him at Tottenham. United vetoed Mourinho's recommended fall-back target Jerome Boateng (his top tier of options consisted of Kalidou Koulibaly, Milan Skriniar and Harry Maguire) and United have since clarified Ed Woodward merely relayed the message to veto from the recruitment department. Mourinho still shot the messenger.

What exacerbated Mourinho's lugubrious mood in the States was a lack of face-time with Woodward, present only for the first and last matches in Phoenix and Miami, where he was filmed frantically catching up with Mourinho in the Hard Rock Stadium tunnel. Mourinho had taken umbrage with Woodward flying to New Zealand the previous summer to watch the British and Irish Lions.

United had not occupied their director of communications post vacated by Phil Townsend in time for the 2018 tour, which contributed to a fraught atmosphere, particularly when Mourinho unloaded live on MUTV following the 4-1 thrashing by Liverpool in Michigan. The Michigan meltdown has become a role play scenario in United crisis management.

Each side tells a separate story on the director of football dispute. United sources are adamant Mourinho demanded face-to-face reassurance from Woodward one would not be appointed, whereas Mourinho said in January a club 'must have an owner or a president, a CEO or executive director, a football director and then the manager'. Sources close to Mourinho say he felt isolated without a football figure to consult with outside of his coaching coterie and had never encountered a chief executive akin to Woodward at a previous club.

United communicated in March it was easier to advance on plans to appoint a technical director in Mourinho's absence, yet are still devoid of one nine months on. The club held informal dialogue with candidates earlier in the year but a source said one found the job criteria 'offputting'.

The punctual Mourinho encountered frustration with Woodward during his first summer over the delay in signing Pogba and Henrikh Mkhitaryan and was aghast at the handling of the Ivan Perisic saga in 2017. Mourinho spoke with Perisic directly and the Croat told him Inter Milan would not budge on their £50million valuation, even vowing not to fly to China for Inter's pre-season tour. Mourinho was dismayed when Perisic was filmed at Milan airport.

Woodward promised Mourinho United would sweat it out and make a deadline day bid for Perisic in order to obtain him for a cut-price fee. Mourinho reminded Woodward that pre-season was a time for bedding in new players and he wanted to have the flexibility of switching to a back three with Perisic. Danny Rose fluttered his eyelashes at United but was considered unattainable.

United sources have told the MEN Woodward did such thorough research on Mourinho he read seven books about him before his appointment as manager in May 2016. The horrendous handling of the 2018 summer suggested he was oblivious as to what he was getting himself in to.

Someone who encountered Mourinho on a near-daily basis at United described his downfall as 'death by a thousand cuts'. United had imposed their own cuts.

Woodward promised Mourinho United would sweat it out and make a deadline day bid for Perisic in order to obtain him for a cut-price fee. Mourinho reminded Woodward that pre-season was a time for bedding in new players and he wanted to have the flexibility of switching to a back three with Perisic

Looking forward to Levy's version of this next summer.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-news-jose-mourinho-17434825

nctual Mourinho encountered frustration with Woodward during his first summer over the delay in signing Pogba and Henrikh Mkhitaryan and was aghast at the handling of the Ivan Perisic saga in 2017. Mourinho spoke with Perisic directly and the Croat told him Inter Milan would not budge on their £50million valuation, even vowing not to fly to China for Inter's pre-season tour. Mourinho was dismayed when Perisic was filmed at Milan airport.

Woodward promised Mourinho United would sweat it out and make a deadline day bid for Perisic in order to obtain him for a cut-price fee. Mourinho reminded Woodward that pre-season was a time for bedding in new players and he wanted to have the flexibility of switching to a back three with Perisic. Danny Rose fluttered his eyelashes at United but was considered unattainable.

Oh, boy. This clash of wills when he asks Levy for punctuality and early signings and then gets a bargain bin Stambouli on deadline day after Levy spends three months knocking 0.99 pence off the price will be fun to watch.

I mean, high chance of it going up in flames, but will be funny at the least. :p

the difference is that we have sacremento as part of the deal.
who knows - perhaps mourinho been given the task of setting up sacremento as a successor? certainly an achievement that would take mourinho to the next level.

Yeah that did stick out somewhat! :D

Though Im still of the (completely speculative) opinion that we will be getting Mr Campos in to cover that side of operations.

I certainly hope so anyway.
The Woodward, Levy similarities there do look rather alarming don't they? Only with Levy having even deeper pockets and shorter arms.

I think the DoF is absolutely essential, especially as the likelihood is that Mourinho is only going to be here for 3 years or so anyway.

the difference is that we have sacremento as part of the deal.
who knows - perhaps mourinho been given the task of setting up sacremento as a successor? certainly an achievement that would take mourinho to the next level.

I doubt it. It's not a model that we have seriously attempted before or one that is successful at many clubs.

The Woodward, Levy similarities there do look rather alarming don't they? Only with Levy having even deeper pockets and shorter arms.

I think the DoF is absolutely essential, especially as the likelihood is that Mourinho is only going to be here for 3 years or so anyway.

Really? Spurs is one of best run clubs in the world with Levy having an amazing attention to detail, Woodward is letting United fall apart (literally the fudging roof leaks) and has no discernable plan other than finding the official "socks/marmite/whatever the fudge of United).

Poch, our scouting team and Levy are a team when it came to making decisions, not the scenario above where Jose didn't even know the names of some/most of the scouts?

Levy may have limits on spending, Woodward just fudging makes random decisions that are not in line with manager or any kind of plan, so no to Toby but yes to fudging Sanchez?

p.s. I'm sure Levy & Jose will but heads but it's because Levy has a model to follow, not because he's a clueless fudge.

Former Chelsea and England midfielder Karen Carney, who retired after helping the Lionesses reach the World Cup semi-finals this summer, is writing columns for the BBC Sport website, working on Radio 5 Live and featuring on BBC TV this season.

I will be very, very surprised if Jose Mourinho doesn't win a trophy with Tottenham.

Spurs need trophies and if there is somebody available who is an absolute winner and gets trophies wherever he goes, then why wouldn't you get him?

The results from Mauricio Pochettino were not in his favour. He was underperforming and Spurs needed to change. It was not a surprise really.

It's a breath of fresh air to see Mourinho back in the Premier League and it will be interesting to see how he gets on against his former club Chelsea on Sunday (16:30 GMT kick-off).

I go to business conferences and they talk about certain people being used in transitions of the business and it's the same in football clubs. Mourinho is that next phase of transition for Tottenham and his aim will be to win a trophy within a few years.

He was not going to go to Spurs without knowing he will have the resources to help make it happen.

He needs to earn his worth though. He's not under pressure but after the disappointment at Manchester United - where he spent nearly £400m on 11 players and still fell way short of rivals Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool - he needs to deliver.

Old Mourinho is back, looking refreshed
Mourinho has gone back to his old ways, like when he first came to Chelsea between 2004 and 2007 and won back-to-back league titles. He is trying to win the players over.

I think he was worn out when he went to Manchester United because he went from club to club with no rest. He looked like a tired man. He has had time off and now he looks really refreshed.

He is saying all the right things and protecting his players. He is talking in the way that made people fall in love with him in his first spell in the Premier League. He is not the rash manager we saw at Manchester United.

Players can be fragile and you have to manage them really well. That was the thing people noticed about him and was his biggest strength at Chelsea.

Everybody spoke about it. As time went on, he lost his way a little bit. But what makes a good manager is the ability to reflect and because he has that ability to get the best out of players.

Spurs will change a lot under him. He has inherited a group of players so it will take time but I think they will become more solid.

They are leaking goals for fun - conceding 12 goals in their past seven matches - but as long as Mourinho is getting results I don't think he will be too bothered at the moment.

I don't think Mourinho has all the players he wants right now either. He will want to tighten things up and buy in the midfield areas during the January transfer window.

I'm being sucked into the Mourinho hype:

Will you have a post-match drink with Frank Lampard?

I don't think so because our stadium is built in the way that our office is completely on the inside our private headquarters. Until now I didn't invite any managers to go there and I don't think I'll do that with Frank.

But like I used to say, a big hug before the game and another after the game, that's for sure independent of results and who is happy. I think our feelings will be forever. I'll always be grateful to him for what he gave me as a player. Nothing is going to change that. I love the guy, I will always love the guy. I hope he loses on Sunday.

Do you have an update on Hugo Lloris' recovery?

He's a champion. Not just a champion of the world but also a champion as a professional. Works very, very hard, very brave, accelerates processes, but there are limits of that acceleration of process with such an important injury. But he's doing amazingly well. He's working with a different group of people, since the physios, until the goalkeeping coaches, working really, really hard. It's difficult to set up a date, I would say February. I probably would not be far from it and February goes from the 1st to the 29th this year.

I saw you on Sky Sports earlier this season at Anfield....

I was good no?

You were very good, you said you were worried about Chelsea and spoke about their defending to big teams, did you see this collapse coming

It's a collapse that keeps them fourth in the Premier League and still in the Champions League, playing an amazing knockout against Bayern Munich. If that's a collapse, it's not a bad collapse. They're fine.

“The only thing I will tell you about Christian is that I would like him to sign a new contract. Apart from that I’m not going to tell you anything,” Mourinho said.

On Vertonghen, Spurs boss added: “I think a player will sign a contract when the club wants – I am the club, Mr (Daniel) Levy is the club – when the player wants, when the family wants, when the agent wants.

“If one of these parts doesn’t want it is very difficult to make it happen unless the player changes agent and gets an agent who also wants.”

Mourinho, when talking about Alderweireld’s negotiations, again suggested that agents are causing him problems.

He added: “Player happy, club happy and now in football, in this moment now, there are some people that it looks like they are more important sometimes than players and then the clubs, and these people they are very important sometimes in decisions, in solutions.

“And in this case the family and the agents were happy to make the player happy. So it was easy.”

Mourinho is widely credited with getting Alderweireld’s deal over the line as he made it clear from his arrival that the Belgian was a player he wanted.

“The club’s objectives are exactly the same objectives as mine,” he said. “To be more objective in this moment we are the club. I am the club.

“We want Toby, Toby wants us, the people that works with him were happy to make happen what the player wants, so it was not difficult.

“The statement for me was the beautiful, simple: ‘I couldn’t be happier in another place’. So if he couldn’t be happier in another place, be happy.”

Every time I see or read something involving Jose in his new position of managing our fine club I honestly get a bit of a buzz. Call me a fanboy or whatever but from every angle, what he says and his approach seems top notch alongside his indisputable record, it's a really good vibe.

Hope after a full week the players have been taking in as much as possible and it will translate to the pitch today, big performance needed and 3 points would be huge.

The manager is clearly a big part of Toby choosing to stay and hopefully Jan has also bought in to the notion that there really isn't a better place to be for the next couple of years. It would be very bitter to see him leaving without achieving real success here, hell even at 35/36 he'll be good enough to have a homecoming to Ajax. Jan signed up and Eriksen fudging off to wherever for a 20m fee would be lovely.

Poor, poor, poor, poor from the manager today. Terrible team selection, the way game has played out was totally predictable. It happened Vs Bayern, it happened Vs United and it happened Vs Wolves. Two of those we lost, and just about squeaked past Wolves. You just knew it would happen again today.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Poor, poor, poor, poor from the manager today. Terrible team selection, the way game has played out was totally predictable. It happened Vs Bayern, it happened Vs United and it happened Vs Wolves. Two of those we lost, and just about squeaked past Wolves. You just knew it would happen again today.

Despite the hype we squeeked all bar one of our PL games.

Despite the hype we squeeked all bar one of our PL games.
Yes and no at least in the other games we had commanding periods and let the opposition in late. There's been I think quite a clear line between the performances against the sides with decent midifelds and those without.

Don’t think he’s the answer to our problems.

Think he’s done as top level manager. Lampard killed us off in first half the way they set up.

Back