• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jimmy Carr tax dodger

Tax minimisation is perfectly legal. What this wipe did was evasion and this is illegal. Libertairians will no doubt ague what is all the fuss about? Look at Greece if you want to know the answer.

We don't get to decide I'm afraid mate. Don't like what the government spends our hard earned on? Vote against hem next time.

As far as Cameron's dad is concerned. So what? If he's avoided tax he's a kunt too. Two wrongs........

I do agree 100%, just thought its ironic that Cameron is jumping on this bandwagon ( to get support)when his family are not adverse to a bit of skullduggery

Cameron is getting caned daily for cuts which are being made worse by tossers not paying tax. Sole traders dodging VAT are the worst scum. Billions lost in the black economy. I see no one has anything to say about the dentist issue I mentioned?

Not really that clued up on tax law but how do these schemes actually work? Surely somewhere down the line someone at hmrc said 'oooh mr so and so earned x amount and is paying only 2%? We need to do something about this?' why hasn't something been done about it? the whole things reeks of imcompetence on hmrcs behalf and pure greed and nothing else as far as mr Carr is concerned. Paid tax since I was 17 and have absolutely no problem with doing so as Leeds says its a price we pay for being a British citizen. The fact you go out your way to pay less as far as I'm concerned means your in the wrong

Tax minimisation is perfectly legal. What this wipe did was evasion and this is illegal. Libertairians will no doubt ague what is all the fuss about? Look at Greece if you want to know the answer.

I can't remember ever agreeing with anything you ever posted before, but got to say, that comment is spot on!!!

Hamilton doesn't live in the UK. Carr does. Big difference.

Didn't he leave the UK for tax reasons?

In all seriousness, nobody should be allowed to dodge paying tax but if the system allows it people will take advantage. And lets be honest, the rich always look to get richer. Plenty wrong with this country, think the media are latching onto a spacegoat tbh. Which I why I couldn't give a fudge.

Didn't he leave the UK for tax reasons?

In all seriousness, nobody should be allowed to dodge paying tax but if the system allows it people will take advantage. And lets be honest, the rich always look to get richer. Plenty wrong with this country, think the media are latching onto a spacegoat tbh. Which I why I couldn't give a fudge.

I think thats why I dont give a brick. Why is Barlow not being vilified - I dont know the ins and outs of his affairs but im under the impression he also found loopholes?

I personally think people shouldnt be vilifying the likes of Carr but vilifying the system. Thats the problem with people, rather than looking at getting their house in order they criticise the people instead.

I think thats why I dont give a brick. Why is Barlow not being vilified - I dont know the ins and outs of his affairs but im under the impression he also found loopholes?

I personally think people shouldnt be vilifying the likes of Carr but vilifying the system. Thats the problem with people, rather than looking at getting their house in order they criticise the people instead.

I think it would be better if people took a bit of personal responsibility, in all honestly. In fairness to Carr, he seems to have understood that now. And that ignorance is no excuse. You have a choice. No one has to use these schemes. And yes, this sort of thing has a serious impact. Sure any/every government wastes. Any large bureaucracy will do so. Both private and public, for that matter. But that money is also undoubtedly used to pay for hospitals, doctors, nurses and so forth. Make no mistake about it, people die because of cuts and those cuts are worsened by arseholes who avoid tax. In those circumstances, bleating on about how it is legal doesn't cut it with me.

If tax evasion wasn't so rife we wouldn't have to make the cuts, ( although modest) that we are and we could use the money to stimulate the economy via infrastructure spending. You understand that f everyone paid 2% tax the country would be utterly fudged

Exactly. We'd be like plenty of 3rd world brickheaps. They don't have this issue because they don't have the tax base. Not enough capital to go around. So they have mass unemployment and no welfare. And I mean NOTHING. See somewhere like Delhi or Manila. Masses of street children begging everywhere and robbing. Want to live that sort of world? Go ahead, avoid tax. It is the 'ol Oliver Wendell Holms thing: "I don't pay taxes.... I buy civilization"

I think it would be better if people took a bit of personal responsibility, in all honestly. In fairness to Carr, he seems to have understood that now. And that ignorance is no excuse. You have a choice. No one has to use these schemes. And yes, this sort of thing has a serious impact. Sure any/every government wastes. Any large bureaucracy will do so. Both private and public, for that matter. But that money is also undoubtedly used to pay for hospitals, doctors, nurses and so forth. Make no mistake about it, people die because of cuts and those cuts are worsened by arseholes who avoid tax. In those circumstances, bleating on about how it is legal doesn't cut it with me.

The chances are Carr who has an Accountant/Tax Advisor may not have known the full details of the scheme he was entering into but rather being asked whether he wants to cut tax. Like I say I think we are all different. Some will be happy to pay less tax (legally) and some will be happy paying the full whack of tax. Im in the former camp - but I would be happy to pay some just not all that I pay now - personal feeling and view point.

This may well digress from the point but you talk about hospitals, doctors, nurses etc but I am paying through the nose for Private Health Care - so surely I should be allowed to reduce my tax bill to make up for that? no? I am sure someone like Carr has Private Health Care. Its a tiny point but thats just an example I guess.

I just think overall there is SO much waste in terms of finances that I resent paying the full whack of tax (I still do though)

I just think overall there is SO much waste in terms of finances that I resent paying the full whack of tax (I still do though)

I don't really think there is, in all honesty. There is some but it is vastly overrated for ideological reasons. All the talk at election time from both parties about waste is mostly flimflam. The margins are tiny. What government wants to waste money? The real issue is about the size of the state. The Tories tend to bang on about waste because they want a smaller state. Which is a fair enough position but if they want to talk about that then I'm also within my rights to point out that this means people will die when there is a recession or the market fails. There was a case just a few weeks back of the woman who went into early labour. She had an ambulance station right across the street from her that used to be manned but not anymore because of cuts. Anyway, the ambulance turned up late. The baby died. I'm not saying it would have survived if the station was manned but, come on, lets give people a fighting chance here, ffs. And on this point and your private healthcare: will Bupa or Benenden be picking you up when you collapse in the street? Don't think so fella.

On the wider point of waste: why is private waste any better than public waste? The US wastes billions upon billions on healthcare every year but they just can't see it. Why? Because lining the pockets of the CEOs, directors, shareholders of insurance companies, private healthcare firms and so forth with billions, isn't waste to them. That is just fine. But possibly lesser waste through government is waste. So they spend more money on healthcare for worse outcomes.

Last edited:
What gets my goat is that these schemes were set up for the greater good, and they have been used for less than.

The money they would have/could have raised, now gone when the they are probably going to be closed, all because people got greedy.

Politicians are hardly in a position to be critical because of their inherent traditions to cheat the system themselves.

Fact is, if there is corruption in all walks of life, its human nature. Levels of 'cheating' will fit for purpose depending on social standing of individual. Not to say I'm tainting everyone with this.

Regarding Barlow - exactly the reason this is so stupid. But Barlow sat next to the Queen, so let's go easy on him, yeah?

What gets my goat is that these schemes were set up for the greater good, and they have been used for less than.

The money they would have/could have raised, now gone when the they are probably going to be closed, all because people got greedy.

I must be doing something wrong as my pension is taxed, the money i put in gets taxed at the end of the year, then when i withdraw it, if i get that old, i will be taxed on as well.

As a former labourer/jobbing builder and now locksmith/taxi driver i could put some money through off the books, but to be honest with you i get spot checked every few years by inland revenue so it is not really worth it.

Think a flat tax rate would be good and as crawley said the is only one party offering that, the only real party left in this country.

I think any money you put into pensions should be tax free but the should be no other loopholes. They should get rid of inheritance tax as well, when i pass on i have paid enough tax i don't want my lad to have to pay tax again.

I must be doing something wrong as my pension is taxed, the money i put in gets taxed at the end of the year, then when i withdraw it, if i get that old, i will be taxed on as well.

As a former labourer/jobbing builder and now locksmith/taxi driver i could put some money through off the books, but to be honest with you i get spot checked every few years by inland revenue so it is not really worth it.

Think a flat tax rate would be good and as crawley said the is only one party offering that, the only real party left in this country.

I think any money you put into pensions should be tax free but the should be no other loopholes. They should get rid of inheritance tax as well, when i pass on i have paid enough tax i don't want my lad to have to pay tax again.

This is another reason why I dont care if people find loopholes. The HMRC screws than more than vice versa. Inheritance Tax is a fudging joke an absolute joke.

When I pass on or parents pass on and we have paid Income tax and other taxes on our estate etc - why the fudge should my kids etc take on further tax?

I dont blame Carr at all, he took financial advise and followed it. I have done the same in the past and most I.T contractors I work with are quite open about how they "earn more and pay less tax". I sat in a meeting a while back with about 20 people where one guy boasted he had been made redundant with a huge pay off, 6 months later he was back as a contractor and has had his contact renewed for 7 years without a break. This then prompted everyone else to join in with a smile on their face about how they dodge tax. Now the scale isn't the same as Carr's scheme, but I have no doubt if they are boasting of ways they save 30% tax then they would have no problem in dodging more. I doubt I work with a unique bunch of people in this area so im guessing most people would do the same if actually in the situation where they had the chance. Anyone that says otherwise is probably a liar.

And Cameron talking about morals :ross: during the week where he left his 8 year old daughter at a pub on her own. What an idiot, just assuming his daughter had gone with someone else. So (what should be) the most important thing in his life and he couldn't take the 20 seconds to check that, yet he runs the country.

Im sure quite a lot of his friends use schemes like this, its the typical tory thing to do (and I wouldnt blame anyone for wanting to get more money). Its ridiculous the the PM is talking about 1 individual when thousands do it, and he is the man in power to close these loop holes.

We've been moving towards it for years anyway. We used to have several different income tax rates but soon they'll just two: 20% and 40%. Not a great leap from there to a flat tax. The whole debate on tax is just a joke in Britain though. Liberal thinking has become so dominate that everyone just talks about whether certain taxes raise revenue or not. That was the final argument on whether we should have a 50% top rate or not. Labour don't challenge this because they're Tories too. The reality is: revenue raising doesn't have to be the sole purpose of taxation. You can use it to encourage research and development, for example. If you introduced two new rates tomorrow of 50% and 60%, a lot of employers won't be giving pay increases when they know will be going straight to the exchequer. So they will use that money for other purposes. Research and development but also perhaps increasing the wages of general workers. And we seriously lag behind our competitors on all those fronts. This will also have the advantage of reducing inequality without having to involve the government as middle man too. The same reason cutting corporation tax is so pointless. Survey after survey shows they aren't keen to invest, not because they're overtaxed, but because the demand isn't there. So all we do by cutting their taxes is grant them more profits which will fill the coffers of shareholders even more. What is the point in that?

Back