• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jimmy Carr tax dodger

By telling them it is a proportionate response to the financial crisis, and making them sign an agreement before entering into study. Or be taxed more

Honestly? Ideologically I agree. The government/university spend a large amount training medical students. UCL told us they spend hundreds of thousands training each one of us ( I think the figure may have been over half a million but can't remember exactly) and I feel like we should have a duty to stick around for a certain time after such an expenditure, rather than tinkling off to South Africa, Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the US.

However, this exact topic came up in conversation this year when talking about healthcare worker migration. Much to my annoyance, everyone else said they would be against such a move. Many of them have no intention of leaving the NHS but wouldn't like to be restricted in such a way and there was general agreement that if such a policy was in place, many would have considered another degree or studied in another country. A few less developed countries have tried such a policy before and all it led to was these intelligent people either entering other professions or doing medicine and then just leaving anyway. Again, in reality, how would you stop a young doctor moving abroad anyway?

A ?1.5 million pot after paying in ?250k is immoral. And we can't afford it

Thats not quite accurate though, the money paid in will be invested and will get compound interest over a number of years boosting the total pot. It probably wont increase by 6 times but the shortfall certainly wont be anywhere near the 1.25m you are indicating.

I must be doing something wrong as my pension is taxed, the money i put in gets taxed at the end of the year, then when i withdraw it, if i get that old, i will be taxed on as well.

As a former labourer/jobbing builder and now locksmith/taxi driver i could put some money through off the books, but to be honest with you i get spot checked every few years by inland revenue so it is not really worth it.

Think a flat tax rate would be good and as crawley said the is only one party offering that, the only real party left in this country.

I think any money you put into pensions should be tax free but the should be no other loopholes. They should get rid of inheritance tax as well, when i pass on i have paid enough tax i don't want my lad to have to pay tax again.

Pension contributions are tax free u to 50k a year.

If you are on PAYE then you will automatically get relief at the basic rate and then if you are actually a higher rate tax payer then you will need to claim the rest back via self assessment.

If you are self employed then obviously you do it all via self assessment.

Thats not quite accurate though, the money paid in will be invested and will get compound interest over a number of years boosting the total pot. It probably wont increase by 6 times but the shortfall certainly wont be anywhere near the 1.25m you are indicating.

No. That is completely wrong. There isn't a fund like a normal pension. Every penny of retired doctors pensions today is funded out of general taxation today. Just like your national insurance payments don't go into a fund for your pension.

Blimey, people really don't know how brick works in this country do they? :)

Nothing to do with it Cameron mate, any parent that does not keep a eye on their kids ( at all times) especially in a pub are out of order.

I would say the same about anyone so you do not have to defend your leader to me, as much as you tend to do everytime his name crops up.

You really don't know what happened do you?

Sickening. Yep that's the appropriate word.

Again. You don't actually know do you? I've caned cameron in this very thread!! I've caned him plenty of times on other issues. On this one it was a simple mistake and one fairly unique to a prime minister.

Again. You don't know do you?

I find it sickening how you'll blindly criticise him without having a fudging clue.

A mistake is not leaving a kid in the pub you can dress it up as much as you like its makes no difference.

So then they go and practice somewhere else in the world?

When my company pays for training someone i.e. professional exams etc the employee if leaving has to pay back every penny (of course it is usually the other company who pays this rather than the leaver). Once your qualified if you leave within three years of qualifying you pay back what you owe (this is tapered though).

The same could be done for medics. If you leave the country within a certain number of years after graduating you pay us the ?500k you owe us. This could be tapered over say 10 - 15 years. Basically enough time to see and get value for money.

I wouldnt withdraw their license though.

When my company pays for training someone i.e. professional exams etc the employee if leaving has to pay back every penny (of course it is usually the other company who pays this rather than the leaver). Once your qualified if you leave within three years of qualifying you pay back what you owe (this is tapered though).

The same could be done for medics. If you leave the country within a certain number of years after graduating you pay us the ?500k you owe us. This could be tapered over say 10 - 15 years. Basically enough time to see and get value for money.

Good idea. Let's call it £500k and you pay back £25k for every year worked.

Now this I like. Though again, how easy would it be to enforce for someone moving country? So say I decide to move to NZ 2 years after finishing my degree, how would the government know if I decided to keep it from them?

As I said, I agree with the principle 100%. I'm just not sure how realistic it would be in practice.

Back