• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jay Rodriguez

If Poch wants him, Levy, drive straight down the damn road and pick him up. Whatever it costs (as long as that cost doesn't unduly impact any other business we may wish to do that Poch agrees is necessary). Time to back our man, instead of only cheering him on when he wants players that we as a club also find appealing.

Back the manager yes absolutely. Buy average? No ta.

If we do end up signing him I truly hope so.

He's one of those who has a very unglamorous career. Burnley then Southampton. But he scores goals, and is good with both feet. I can't think who to compare him to, really, but he's quick enough, direct, great movement and a very good finisher. He should cost us around £13m, £14m I imagine. He's very good.

Back the manager yes absolutely. Buy average? No ta.

Again, that's not backing the manager at all. Players we consider average might play a key role in Poch's plans for the club going forward, and might end up doing a better job than a big-name player brought in who doesn't have the exact attributes said 'average' player does and plays in a different way to the style Poch drilled into his players at Southampton (which both Rodriguez and Schneiderlin are very, very familiar with).

And, over and above that, Poch getting players from his old club that know and enjoy his style and can speak for his management abilities could help him enormously in imposing a quick transition to his philosophy among our other players via the presence of one or two 'lieutenants' of his on the pitch in most games orchestrating play.

Look, we as a forum agreed to back Poch wholeheartedly when he was appointed, if I remember correctly: I can only assume Levy too a look at himself in the mirror and did the same thing before signing off on Poch's five-year contract. The signing of Rodriguez is one of the first tests of that backing: we may consider him 'average', but if Poch wants him, then that shouldn't matter, at least in this first window where we should be doing everything possible to make him and his management team feel at home. That means letting him sign players we consider to be 'average', and as fans, backing that player wholeheartedly every time he steps onto the field. That's trusting the manager's eye for a player and his reasons for wanting a player: anything less, and we're just re-hashing the sad AVB saga again, and we'll have learned absolutely nothing from that whole sorry episode last summer.

Do you watch football outside of Spurs?

Oh no I can't as I'm stating something different to what you believe therefore I don't watch a lot of football. Very common on here but poor from you mate.

You rate him? Well done. I don't. Big deal.

Oh no I can't as I'm stating something different to what you believe therefore I don't watch a lot of football. Very common on here but poor from you mate.

You rate him? Well done. I don't. Big deal.

What the **** are you on? Can you read?

This is the problem with the internet, you can't gauge tone.

Roy, I think Mumorn was just asking. Do you watch much as well as Spurs, or do you just watch Spurs? I can understand why some people would not rate Rodriguez based on his name/clubs played for. But others would have seen more of him, and rate him accordingly.

I don't think anyone's being hostile here.

I said I didn't want him. You replied 'Do you watch football outside of spurs'. Lol I'd love to know what you meant if it wasn't a dig??

I was just asking if you watched football in England other than Spurs, and if you do Im just surprised as to how you could possibly think hes average. But hey, respect your opinion. Don't give two ****s for it though, you're not the manager.

Thought Rodriguez was excellent last season. Reminded me of Ljungberg in the way that he'd start on the wing but unpredictably burst into the box at pace and finish chances effectively. 15 league goals for a wide forward playing at a mid-table side where he didn't take the penalties or free-kicks is a decent return, that's as many as Lamela, Lennon, Townsend, Chadli, Sigurdsson and Eriksen put together scored. He managed to score at White Hart Lane and Stamford Bridge, and the year before got goals against us, Chelsea (twice), Liverpool and Man Utd at Old Trafford under Ferguson.

I have two doubts about him. Firstly, whilst having a fast, unpredictable, technically capable forward that can score goals is useful, I was hoping that the LWF signing would be a flair player. Brahimi, Konoplyanka, Ben Arfa, Shaqiri etc. Not necessarily those players, but players of that ilk, who have the ball control and technical skill to wow the crowd, to skin defenders, to find a way through when the opposition is parking the bus, to win over new generations of fans and to excite other players about the prospect of joining Tottenham and getting to play alongside them. I don't think Rodriguez is that kind of player.

Secondly - the injury. I know he's ahead of schedule blah blah blah. This is Spurs we're talking about. If there's any injury doubt about him, it'll flare up and we probably won't see the best of him. It's a particularly high risk when pace was a major part of the player's game, like it is with Rodriguez. But, if he gets anywhere near what he was last season, he's an ENORMOUS upgrade on Chadli. If we can sell Chadli and Paulinho for anything like what we paid for them and bring in Rodriguez and Schneiderlin, that's excellent business in my book. I'm assuming we're not spending £50m on the pair because that's not how Levy operates....

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAY - Lucky ****er will get the birthday present I've always dreamed of, signing a contract with Spurs!

I was just asking if you watched football in England other than Spurs, and if you do Im just surprised as to how you could possibly think hes average. But hey, respect your opinion. Don't give two ****s for it though, you're not the manager.

Very unlike you but as you say I don't particularly care two hoots either!! For me the top clubs are very much the benchmark when I decide average or not. Would Chelsea, arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project want him? I don't believe so.

How have 'average' got on at these clubs? Scott Sinclair? Jack Rodwell?

Opinions are meaningless that's mine.

I'm with Roy on this one.

JR looks like
a skillful lower PL player to me.
I don't get what he gives us

Maybe he works well as a part of pochs team , maybe I'm just wrong, but I don't see it.

Can anyone tell me exactly what makes JR an upgrade on lamela/eriksen/holtby/Lennon?

I think he is better than Townsend but not the others

And isn't ceballos worth a go instead of 14m on JR?

( and anyone calling him jay rod needs a life ban)

Very unlike you but as you say I don't particularly care two hoots either!! For me the top clubs are very much the benchmark when I decide average or not. Would Chelsea, arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project want him? I don't believe so.

How have 'average' got on at these clubs? Scott Sinclair? Jack Rodwell?

Opinions are meaningless that's mine.

He's miles better than Podolski. I'd rate him above Chamberlain as well. He's no Torres, but still...

He's miles better than Podolski. I'd rate him above Chamberlain as well. He's no Torres, but still...

How can he be MILES better than a guy whose scored nearly 50 goals for Germany. He's younger yes but that's a mental statement!

How can he be MILES better than a guy whose scored nearly 50 goals for Germany. He's younger yes but that's a mental statement!

Failed at Bayern, been average at Arsenal. The fact that he has 116 caps for Germany says a lot about their lack of top strikers over the last decade. Playing for a team that's better than 95% of the other countries in the world 50 goals ain't that much.

I'm with Roy on this one.

JR looks like a skillful lower PL player to me. I don't get what he gives us

Maybe he works well as a part of pochs team , maybe I'm just wrong, but I don't see it.

Can anyone tell me exactly what makes JR an upgrade on lamela/eriksen/holtby/Lennon?

I think he is better than Townsend but not the others

And isn't ceballos worth a go instead of 14m on JR?

( and anyone calling him jay rod needs a life ban)

To be honest I don't know a huge amount about him. I've only ever really seen him play against us. But in fairness, that means I've seen him score twice in four games, which is a perfectly decent return for a striker - especially when those games are playing against superior opposition (sorry Saints fans, but we won both matches after all).

So based on that I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt (assuming he actually is on his way to Spurs). Personally I'm a bit worried about his injury if I'm honest, but I guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed on that.

Regarding your last line though, we are in complete agreement.

shades of lineker in him - good forward runs and timing, opting to place rather than whack the ball in the box.

he gives us the option of having faster more direct football. tactical element and useful if we're looking to carry a quick goal threat, one of our deficiencies last season.

Back